Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
The Chicago show (10/10/08) - my experience meeting Stereolab
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Labhead
Labhead
1868 posts

The Chicago show (10/10/08) - my experience meeting Stereolab

Got to the show only 10 mins before showtime, but I was able to get right up in the middle front (whew)!

Monade was great; 1st time I saw the other singer (or Monade for that matter), and she's a cutey! When Laetitia came out, it was really quiet and she said "Open your books to page 96. Let us pray." Pretty funny.

Le Loup wasn't my style, but I could see some people liking them (as those around me seemed to).

Stereolab was great, although I was looking forward to the movie screen behind them that I heard about and it wasn't there. Also, they kept having screaching feedback issues. :(

Introducing "Eye of the Volcano", she said "This is a song about Freedom Fries." and then made a kind of 'grrrr' face and gesture that made me laugh.

When she introduced Ping Pong, she said something about Meghan McCain and said "Oh, the irony!".

Introducing "The Ecstatic Static" she said something about it being about pimps.

Stomach Worm was great and they had an extended 3-4 minutes of hectic buildup/jamming near the end before coming back to the recognizeable sounds of that song. Tim was strumming his guitar so fast during a couple songs that he had to shake his hand out of fatigue afterwards.

The new keyboard/vocals guy was OK; he looked a little bit like Ian Curtis from Joy Division I thought, and he looked depressed/staring at Laetitia almost the whole show. Tim later told me he has a bad back, so I guess maybe he was in pain.

Afterwards, only about 3 of us were waiting for signatures in the alley. The drummer passed us by a couple times saying that "I'm working, mate."

Apart from him, everybody was really nice. The other keyboardist said he lives in Istanbul (really? wow). Tim was really, really nice. I told him "Who cares if sales are down, people will be buying your music for years to come. You've GOT to release the nighttime sessions!" and he coyly said "I don't know what you're talking about." and smiled. Later, he said he's never heard them referred to like that, and said they're not really darker sounding than the current tracks, but I said oh well, I love it all! :)

Tim liked the shirt another guy was wearing that said "Obama gonna knock you out!", so we chatted a little bit about that; he's convinced (and happy) that Obama's going to win.

Laetitia said that Monade can be pronounced both ways... Mone-aad (like they say in France) or Mone-aid (like lemonade).

They were hanging around in front of the Vic for a while afterwards, chatting with some band members from Tortoise and The Eternals. There was a 20 yr old hanging out with us getting signatures... every time one of them walked away, he said "god bless you" and although the band was polite and said thanks, I didn't hear any of them say "bless you" or anything like that back (which made me happy), so I'm not so sure they're all that religious like others have been pondering... I wish I would have asked.

I'll upload a scan of the tour single later (with 5 out of 6 signatures... I couldn't find the new guy). They were sold out of the green laundry bag, so I got purple. They were also selling the 7" record single from their last tour, in case you missed it.

Oct 13, 2008, 21:11

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Booklover
Booklover
680 posts

Re: The Chicago show (10/10/08) - my experience meeting Stereolab

thanks man, fantastic report!

Oct 13, 2008, 21:14

waxenpith
waxenpith
1529 posts

Neato! I'm glad you had fun. I'm sorry the drummer was rude.

I think the Night sessions got coined (and incorrectly i may add) From laetitia saying that it was night to chemical chords day. meaning different, not Nocturnal.... but we all read into these things our own ways.

We only had green laundry bags in toronto, Limit to 10 tour singles.

Smallest crowd i've seen in toronto.
Margerine was easily twice the number. same with FFS. Soundust was middle ground (someone made a Captain Easychord sign)
Cobra was cancled, but (as i mistakenly posted earlier) i saw them on the Last microbes, small set, smallish crowd. differnt venue.

How was the chicago crowd? Im sure it was big, thats a big Lab city.

Oct 13, 2008, 21:31

Labhead
Labhead
1868 posts

More of the crowd filled in when it got close to Stereolab coming on, but it wasn't that crowded and everybody took off quick after the show. I'm not sure if it sold out or not, but it didn't seem as big as it should have been.

Actually, the drummer wasn't all that rude... the 3rd or 4th time he came by (finally not carrying equipment), he said "Oh, here we go." when I handed him my single to sign, but I said "Oh come on, you know you love it." He didn't say too much. He was wearing a (yellow?) shirt that had a variation of the old NES Konami cheat code: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/BHall/Konami-code-t-shirt.jpg

Oct 13, 2008, 21:45

GaryB
GaryB
1554 posts

He (the drummer) had probably had a long day and was groutchy through hunger, or something.

Oct 13, 2008, 22:17

waxenpith
waxenpith
1529 posts

Looking at him i'm guessing more hungry then tired. *giggle*

Oct 13, 2008, 23:57

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5924 posts

Thanks for such a great description labhead!

Oct 14, 2008, 04:03

murilix
murilix
87 posts

The funny thing is that Laetitia clearly talks (with Tim beside her) about "day and night time" on the Pitchfork interview just posted and that happened while they were in New York, one before Chicago... So most likely Tim simply doesn't think that way. IMO this is something that adds to the greatness of the groop. Tim's a master and Laetitia is a monster, that's a perfect combination.

Can't wait to see them in San Francisco next week.

Oct 14, 2008, 07:41

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

Open your books to page 96. Let us pray.

LOL.

And yet you don't think she's religious?

She made some good comments at that show.

Oct 14, 2008, 13:51

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

man / mans

woman
get me a laundry bag . please. it's for my grandchildren.

Oct 14, 2008, 15:10

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index