Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Politics Free For A Month?
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cybele
cybele
736 posts

Re: health care

I cannot describe how incredibly tiring and irritating it is to have the balls to state an obvious reality--then have it countered by that all-too convenient auto-response: that when I state said obvious reality, I was implying that it was meant to be.

Of course, the reality is that inner-city kids get the shit-end of funding because their parents aren't there (or willing) to participate and demand the funding. Meanwhile parents that are there and do participate want what's best for their kids and demand the funding. The funding is limited--and it must be limited.

And yes, there is a total gun ban in Chicago and it does NOTHING to stop these kids from shooting each other. This is the reality. No, I DON'T like this reality either.

And yes, many of these kids are meal tickets. That is the reality. No, I don't like this reality either.

How do we solve these issues?

I've got it!! Let's accuse the other of being illogical, drinking their political Kool-aid, and being thoughtless. That way we can feel personally superior and feel as if our views are on a higher plane. Let's be afraid to call the reality for what it is.

This method gets things done!

Cybele

Jun 18, 2009, 23:46

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

GaryB
GaryB
1554 posts

Re: Politics Free For A Month?

cybele wrote:
Have we been completely free of discussing Politics for over a month?

Hmmm. . .that's a sign.

Cybele

This thread proves that politics is an issue that divides like no other!

Interesting reading....

Jun 19, 2009, 00:28

wracket
wracket
1427 posts

That's right, blame it on political correctness. Anyone who has ever read anything I've written knows that hardly applies to me. Nor do I have a political agenda or slant.

What I do have is a distaste for semi-intelligent people, such as yourself, who open their proverbial mouth as wide as they can and just let hate and ignorance spill out, all because the world is such a frustrating place. Listen bub, it's frustrating for all of us. No one likes senseless violence, children being neglected, bureaucratic quagmires that get nothing done or any combination thereof. But to suggest that there's no point in spending a lot of money to educate inner city youth is among the most sour, short-sighted and, yes, highly illogical things I've ever heard suggested about this issue.

What exactly do you think the result would be if we did even less than we do now to give inner city kids a chance to use education as a springboard to a better life? Of course you don't reduce the funding--you're smart enough to know that. You find ways of making it more effective (which is easier said than done), you don't just keep lowering the bar until everyone graduates no matter how little they have actually learned or matured as human beings and then expect them to be able to survive in the world that frustrates you so, Cybele, you do any number of things...but you don't give up on them because you think they're lost fucking causes. How incredibly short-sided must you be to not see what that leads to for the society as a whole?

Breathe a little, man. As I said, you're smarter than this.

Jun 19, 2009, 00:31

cybele
cybele
736 posts

wracket wrote:
. . .But to suggest that there's no point in spending a lot of money to educate inner city youth is among the most sour, short-sighted and, yes, highly illogical things I've ever heard suggested about this issue. . .

I said that it really doesn't matter how much money you throw at the schools if parents don't care about their children. I didn't suggest to YANK or decrease funding. I just think that
throwing tons of money at it isn't an answer.

Hell, even throwing more money at it isn't the answer. It's completely unfair to people that are responsible - people that work, pay their taxes, and actually participate in the futures of their children. Also, there is only a limited amount of funding to go 'round.

It would sound as though the above comment came from someone that was raised in a gated community or something, but it couldn't be farther than the truth. My mother was a single mother that sold clothes and things got a little dicey--but realize that she would rather starve than depend on the government to feed her in this country. It's called personal responsibility.

Cybele

Jun 19, 2009, 01:24

Mars Rover
Mars Rover
1337 posts

cybele wrote:
Where did I say that kids that have parents that don't give a shit don't DESERVE less funding? Where did I say that? I said what the reality is. They don't get funded because there is no push to fund it. I didn't say it was right!

Jesus guys! Please actually read the fucking post and don't over-interpret.

Cybele

"so why fund an inner-city school made predominantly of kids whose parents don't give a fuck vs. funding a suburban school whose parents do? No amount of funding or special programs is going to help parentless children just as no amount of gun control is going to prevent the children from shooting eachother.

Yeah, I know it sounds harsh but it's pretty much reality. In the inner-city, most children are meal tickets. "

Ummm.. .what the fuck else did you mean by this then? Are you not saying that we should stop funding inner city schools because the parents view kids as meal tickets?

Jun 19, 2009, 07:04

wracket
wracket
1427 posts

No no no marsy, you can't just take things IN context and use someone's own words (especially those written earlier the same day) against them like that. Fight fair!

Jun 19, 2009, 09:02

cybele
cybele
736 posts

No, I'm saying that a crapload of funding doesn't make a lick of difference. There is an overall larger issue going on here.

Cybele

Jun 19, 2009, 15:52

cybele
cybele
736 posts

NO! YOU'RE WRONG!!

Cybele

Jun 19, 2009, 20:15

revox
revox
800 posts

cybele wrote:
NO! YOU'RE WRONG!!

Cybele

On which point? The interesting reading bit?

~8^|>

Jun 19, 2009, 23:41

waxenpith
waxenpith
1529 posts

Be nice. *smacks you with a news paper*

Jun 20, 2009, 04:27

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index