Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Politics Free For A Month?
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cybele
cybele
736 posts

Re: Politics Free For A Month?

Owww. *Buzzes away for he is nothing but a voter in Chicago, Illinois and it matters not. . .

Jun 20, 2009, 08:03

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

revox
revox
800 posts

Re: Politics Free For A Month?

revox wrote:
cybele wrote:
NO! YOU'RE WRONG!!

Cybele

On which point? The interesting reading bit?

~8^|>

I'll take that back. Actually, Labhead's 'Amusing Ourselves to Death' link proved to be very interesting. It is now winging it's way to many others around the planet - good stuff, intelligent and witty confrontation.

~8^)>

Jun 20, 2009, 12:02

deadlyfingers
deadlyfingers
1218 posts

Re: health care

Sorry to interrupt your little conversation here - but what's up with all this "inner city" nonesense? What cities do you folks live in? Have y'all not heard of "gentrification"? (Detroit & Buffalo residents need not respond)

Maybe I'm living in a bubble out here on the West Coast, but our inner cities are all filled with overpriced condos & boutiques selling European housewares to fashionably dressed middle-aged gay couples with way too much expendable income... The poor folks & immigrants & single teenage moms can't afford to live there. They live in the crappy suburbs.

Just thought I'd try to pull your discussion into the 21st century.

Jun 21, 2009, 04:11

wracket
wracket
1425 posts

deadlyfingers wrote:

"Inner city" was likely either Midwest-specific or--for the more cynical reader--a code word for Cybele, and those of us who used it in response prioritized debunking the actual content of his distasteful thesis over cleaning up his questionable use of terminology. But hey, your pedantry's always welcome here...even if it does come off a bit holier than thou!

Jun 21, 2009, 10:13

cybele
cybele
736 posts

Eh, well I don't really mean inner-city per se. In cities like Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, etc. there are huge, sprawling areas of high crime, unemployment, and general welfare. Believe me when I tell you, there will be no gentrification to those areas for many years.

Most of the gentrification that has occurred in Chicago (and I'm not disputing that a lot has occurred) is located very close to the business district. Old Town was dicey 20 years ago, Wicker Park, Printer's Row, River West, West Loop -- all of these neighborhoods are very close to the Loop.

I'm talking about Austin, Kenwood, Cottage Grove. These places are downright dangerous to be a live in. They're farther out. Also, a lot of Suburbs have now turned into shit. I know because I used to live in one that flipped Section-8.

Cybele

Jun 21, 2009, 19:01

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

schools

There are definitely dangerous areas in the cities out here in California. Though he's right, there's a lot of gentrification going on in Oakland, I love to go out to clubs and bars in downtown Oakland now. But there are poor areas in Oakland, Richmond, and SF that are not very safe. People get shot.

And we need lots more money put into public education in California. We're near the bottom in spending, and there's a proliferation of private schools. I do not believe in funding children to abandon the public schools and go private. It would take necessary money away. We should give the public schools the funding it deserves in order to function properly. It can be done. Teachers who work with disadvantaged populations should be praised.

Jun 21, 2009, 19:26

deadlyfingers
deadlyfingers
1218 posts

wracket wrote:
deadlyfingers wrote:

...even if it does come off a bit holier than thou!

A bit? It ain't easy being this holy, man.

I guess whatever point I was making is that we're getting more & more like Europe where all the poor minority folk are pushed to the suburbs - even further out of sight & mind. The euphemisms for non-white folk will have to adjust. In a perverse way, I kinda look forward to hearing radio stations that play hip-hop described as "Contemporary Suburban".

Jun 21, 2009, 21:28

cybele
cybele
736 posts

Re: schools

Your state is totally bankrupt. Eh. . .don't feel so bad, Illinois is a few months away.

But hey, we're all going to get a great economic recovery from all of this borrowed stimulus money right?

Cybele

Jun 22, 2009, 03:22

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

It's bankrupt because they don't want to raise taxes or borrow. Instead, they'll take health care away from babies.

Jun 22, 2009, 05:10

cybele
cybele
736 posts

They can't borrow any more. Their credit rating just dropped. If they raise taxes higher, businesses and people will leave the state (which will be a repeat of what happened in the 90's). It doesn't sound like they're spending wisely at all.

Of course, everyone who is in favor of / can afford to pay even higher taxes can jump to the typical Koolaid-drinking response to all of this which is - babies will starve, cops and firemen will not answer calls, cats and dogs will have sex with eachother, etc.

Cybele

Jun 22, 2009, 18:30

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index