Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Politics Free For A Month?
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

wracket
wracket
1425 posts

Re: Wracket

I've been in France for the past ten (gulp) years but am, in fact, a piece of Yankee hegemonist scum by birth and passport. And I still speak English at home with my London-born wife, so I'm not even one of those expats who can claim to have forgotten how to speak their mother tongue or anything. Though I can see how that last post's meandering ways might have suggested that I wasn't a native English speaker. Or a native earthling.

Jun 23, 2009, 00:07

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

deadlyfingers
deadlyfingers
1218 posts

Re: Caliboredom 101

Thanks. That does make some sense to me. Certainly, the way that the money is spent is probably much more important than how it's raised.

I grew up in Oregon, where the lack of sales tax often gets blamed for the state's habitually slow economic recovery. The argument that I've heard is: when the national economy slows down, people start losing their jobs and property values fall, so the state's biggest sources of income dry up. In the end, local governments just don't have any room in their budgets to invest in the kind of programs that would attract or stir up new business, so everyone is just left inching along. Supposedly, a sales tax would provide a more consistent stream of income to the state when it needs it the most. Sounds pretty reasonable to me, but like I said - I've got a very rudimentary understanding of finance & economics, so increasing certain taxes during a recession doesn't strike me as such a preposterous idea.

PS - I'm not sure if Oregon will ever institute a sales tax, though - it's been about a hundred years since anyone moved there for the sake of making money, and I think a lot of the hippies & libertarians would rather enjoy their smug sense of uniqueness than have to go to work, anyways.

Jun 23, 2009, 01:29

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

Re: schools

cybele wrote:

Of course, everyone who is in favor of / can afford to pay even higher taxes can jump to the typical Koolaid-drinking response to all of this which is - babies will starve, cops and firemen will not answer calls, cats and dogs will have sex with eachother, etc.

Cybele
My koolaid drinking response was based on Arnold's own threats that certain health programs for children will have to be completely eliminated. Perhaps you should follow CA politics to know what you're talking about.

Jun 23, 2009, 04:04

cybele
cybele
736 posts

Re: Bush vs Obama deficit

Gotcha, and I'm sorry that I overreacted a few posts ago. I actually feel like shit about it but I can't stand feeling insulted.

We can argue about who made the deficit what it is now and who is going to increase it ___ much.

My thing is. . .you don't increase a deficit ever. In the heat of the recession, you certainly don't increase it to buy time and rob Peter to pay Pauly and fuck & squeeze the responsible people in the meantime.

Squeezed on both ends we are. We get taxed to death. We see the taxes wasted and squandered by our bureaucrats.
1) We don't have enough of a voting base to overthrow them because the people that vote for, and sustain them are part of some of the largest corporations in the world: the government. The metermaid (that spat on my windshield the other day when I thanked her for $75 ticketing me for being 3 minutes over on my over-priced meter) makes a pension you would not believe--and the city that pays her is bankrupt! But no matter. . .let's put the taxpayers on the hook for the Olympics, yes?

2) We don't have enough of a voting base to stop this racist, completely ass-backward cycle of poverty and welfare entitlement. It renders people in such a mindset of victimization that they fail to see that their destinies are in their hands--not the government's at the wasteful behest of me.

I'm in the middle and most businesses are. . .we're totally squeezed and there is a breaking point. Fuck that!

Or. . .I guess I could be wrong. Increase my taxes more...everything was working so damn well for the poor prior to the recession, right?

Cybele

Jun 23, 2009, 04:14

cybele
cybele
736 posts

Let me ask you something. . .why do adults produce children that require them to need programs? How fucking irresponsible is that?

Me, I'd love to have children but I utilize birth control when I snap it off because when I have children -- I'm going to be a responsible father and pay for my son or daughter in every way.

What gives?

Cybele

Jun 23, 2009, 04:32

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

I take care of a child for a living, who has very special needs. He was born with genetic abnormalities with no known cause. The school district and community pay for some of his therapy and schooling. I guess the stories of people's lives are varied, and can't easily be put into stereotypes. Oh, you can, and I suppose you will...

Jun 23, 2009, 04:37

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

PS I know I wasn't directly responding to what you wrote, I just felt like writing that...

Jun 23, 2009, 04:43

Labhead
Labhead
1868 posts

Re: schools & welfare; a positive point of view?

cybele wrote:
Let me ask you something. . .why do adults produce children that require them to need programs? How fucking irresponsible is that?

Me, I'd love to have children but I utilize birth control when I snap it off because when I have children -- I'm going to be a responsible father and pay for my son or daughter in every way.

What gives?

Cybele

No matter what system there is, it will be abused. This cannot be avoided, although it can be cut down a little of course. I'm sure a lot of people really need it to get out of bad/hard luck times, just as some will abuse. If you take away all the social props, then everything gets worse because people will be forced to a life of crime to steal-the-breadloaf-to-feed-their-family thing.

Just as some will overcome poverty through public schools and grants (and others will waste their time and money), some will grow out of welfare. If we don't provide the means, then only those who are born into a living wage will be able to make a good life for themselves and become more productive. It's easy to have a negative view of life, but there's got to be good stories out there with the bad, right? hmmm... I hope so

Jun 23, 2009, 05:20

cybele
cybele
736 posts

Was that ending from the Wire song Rumba?

Cybele

Jun 23, 2009, 16:55

Eddie Chargeman
Eddie Chargeman
1576 posts

Re: george bush is a poodle!

the picture is blurry.

Jun 23, 2009, 17:14

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index