Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
pitchfork tv talks to tim and laetitia pt 1
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Stereo Mouse
Stereo Mouse
634 posts

Re: pitchfork tv talks to tim and laetitia pt 1

velvetwater wrote:
COBRA has the worst reputation among fans and critics?!
Since when? It is probably my personal favourite but that's not the point: I vividly remember many positive reviews when it came out and also it was one of the most voted albums by fans in the old KOLY web site!
I know that not all of us like it a lot and I also remember Tim Gane saying that it was too long and the sound in places too "murky" (or something like that), but other than that it is generally well appreciated...

Let's see: AMG 2,5/5, calling it the least realized record since Transient. NME 0/10, "sterile heap of shit". Pitchforkmedia 3,4/10, "a herculean test of human patience". This already is strong enough in terms of negative impression management. If the prominent journals say it's crap, then many people will think "Worst Stereolab album ever".

Oct 14, 2008, 11:49

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

Since when NME's review are relevant? It is probably the worse music magazine ever made! Don't you see what kind of language they use? It is toilet paper for sad teenage punks!
And what about Pitchfork?!
Try to look for better examples like Mojo, Uncut, The Wire...they were all very positive about this album.
And I remind you again about the ULTRA-HIGH FREQUENCY web site. As voted by real fans, COBRA was in the top 3!
Now, it is ok to differ in taste, but let's try not to impose pur personal opinion to others or make one's view the universal truth! Personally, it is possibly their best lp along with SOUND DUST. At worst we can say that COBRA is an album that divides opinions, certainly not that it is Stereolab's worst...com on!

Oct 14, 2008, 12:37

GaryB
GaryB
1554 posts

Cobra

It's a class album, no doubt about it. It's weird AND wonderful.

No way it can be their worst. That's Peng!, obviously!! :]

Oct 14, 2008, 13:03

Stereo Mouse
Stereo Mouse
634 posts

velvetwater wrote:
Since when NME's review are relevant? It is probably the worse music magazine ever made! Don't you see what kind of language they use? It is toilet paper for sad teenage punks!
And what about Pitchfork?!
Try to look for better examples like Mojo, Uncut, The Wire...they were all very positive about this album.
And I remind you again about the ULTRA-HIGH FREQUENCY web site. As voted by real fans, COBRA was in the top 3!
Now, it is ok to differ in taste, but let's try not to impose pur personal opinion to others or make one's view the universal truth! Personally, it is possibly their best lp along with SOUND DUST. At worst we can say that COBRA is an album that divides opinions, certainly not that it is Stereolab's worst...com on!

First, I think it has been very well established how influential Pitchfork can be in terms of impression management. One word: Travistan. Try looking that up yourself to see what I'm talking about. A good example how a completely negative review can skew the public's perception.

Second, I've never seen a single Stereolab album attract so much insistently hostile attitude as Cobra. It's more likely to find Stereolab fans who rant "Cobra=crap" than it is to find those who say "ETK=crap". Just ask Cheeso!

Third, when I say "worst", I reflect on not my own judgment (which is in actuality more favorable than anything else) but I refer to reputation instead. Cobra is a controversial album. It's a very risque starting point. Unless you're already kind of predisposed to like it. If you're not, you'll hate it.

Oct 14, 2008, 13:35

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

Having highlighted the difference between personal judgement and reputation I understand better what you mean now.
Having said that, I never really perceived this bad reputation. A little controversy here and there yes...
Also, the fact that COBRA is maybe a difficult album does not necessarily mean that an inexperienced listener will hate it. Nevertheless I agree that ETK would be a more appropriate entry point for somebody who doesn't know the groop.
But to be totally honest, if COBRA was my own recording and somebody rated it 0/5 I would feel really offended.
There are so many ideas, so much variety and beauty in there that how can somebody disrespect a hugely creative work like this in such a measure? We are not talking about a Cliff Richard album here...
I almost feel offended even just as a fan!

Oct 14, 2008, 14:18

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

Re: Cobra

GaryB wrote:

Peng! is one of the two reasons I first loved Stereolab. The other was ETK.

Their worst release is Space Age Bachelor Pad.

Oct 14, 2008, 14:56

mirtchevman
mirtchevman
1725 posts

yikes. you can cut the tension between those two with a knife!

laetitia has obvious resentment towards the way tim controls the course that stereolab takes -- it makes me that much more interested to hear the 'nighttime chords' record, especially since she says she said she had a hand in its production(which is a big deal!).

i also have to say i agree w/ her in terms of production values on CC. it sounds so canned and precise. it reminds me of taking a walk through frankfurt's city centre -- so clean that it's almost sterile. i would expect the other version to sound more organic and a little rougher around the edges (which i prefer)...

Oct 14, 2008, 15:50

Archigram
Archigram
375 posts

The tension between them makes it uncomfortable to watch. Awkward!

Oct 14, 2008, 16:25

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

Re: Cobra

Left Boob Oscillator wrote:
GaryB wrote:

Peng! is one of the two reasons I first loved Stereolab. The other was ETK.

Their worst release is Space Age Bachelor Pad.

SPACE AGE BACHELOR PAD is certainly not essential, but it contains 2 of the greatest early lab songs: RONCO SYMPHONY and AVANT GARDE M.O.R.
There are some masterpieces on PENG! too: K STARS and SUPER FALLING STAR.

Oct 14, 2008, 16:37

jeff w
jeff w
676 posts

Re: what's best/worst?

Clearly we need a POLL to settle this (or not) once and for all :)

People seem to be doing magical things on this forum, pic and youtube embeds and what have you. Surely a poll feature is not beyond the wit of kleber ;)

Oct 14, 2008, 17:29

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index