Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
New Order anecdote thread
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

GaryB
GaryB
1554 posts

New Order anecdote thread

I was excited a few years ago to hear about New Order playing at Glasgow Barrowlands (Britains Best Venue btw) and even more excited at the prospect of hearing them play Joy Division material. Well, I duly purchased a couple of tickets.

They arrived shortly before the gig and imagine my surprise, and delight, to receive ticket number 586! Yay!

I still can't believe it :]

Oct 14, 2008, 19:53

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

Re: New Order anecdote thread

My anecdote:

Brotherhood was one of two albums (the other being Suzanne Vega, Days of Open Hand) that helped me get over my first broken heart. Ironically, Brotherhood was a gift from the girl who broke my heart.

Oct 14, 2008, 20:01

GaryB
GaryB
1554 posts

New Order is so entwined with the 16 to 18 year old me. The music takes me back to that age/time everytime. Which includes my first broken heart!

'Face Up' always cheered me up.

Oct 14, 2008, 20:07

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

The 16-18 year old me is more identified with The Cure and The Smiths, although at that time I held a special place in my heart for New Order "Substance," which I bought on vinyl when it caem out, and the song "1963."

Oct 14, 2008, 20:14

basil too
275 posts

GaryB,

No offense, but are you serious about the barrowlands?! I have been there twice and both times the sound was so bad I vowed never to back. The big, cement, square box sounded horrible, not to mention the low stage and difficult viewing. Yikes!

I saw GSYBE! at QMU and it sounded phenomenal.

Sonic Youth is coming to the Barrowlands, one of my favorite bands, and I am not going for the sound.

What is Oran Mor like?

Oct 14, 2008, 20:19

GaryB
GaryB
1554 posts

Barrowlands is great for the atmosphere/crowd, I feel. And you get a great view from anywhere (although I am 6'4" so viewing isn't a problem generally). My girlfriend can always see there though.

I'm not really much of an audiophile (unlike many forum members seem to be). If it's booming out loud and the crowd are lapping it up that makes me happy.

I didnt know SY had announced a Barrowlands gig? Exciting!

QMU is a good venue, I agree. I've never been to Oran Mor but hobobachang said it has excellent sound and that it gets sweaty! Nice.

Oct 14, 2008, 21:01

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2133 posts

"A', the Barras are better...."?

I don't know if I would say the Barras is the best venue in the UK, as obviously I haven't been to all the others! But it's definitely one of my favourites in Glasgow, and for that size of venue I think it would be hard to beat. I've been to many, many gigs there over the years, and can't say it's ever been a disappointment. On the contrary, I have nothing but lots of happy memories from that place. The only show I have seen there which I left feeling slightly annoyed with was the Shins last year, who were great, but the audience was chronically dull, just people standing with their arms folded, tutting at anyone who dared to move (or even look in the least bit happy). I hate that, but sadly it seems to be the way things are going. Damn chin-stroking hipsters. As Gary B says, I think an "up-for-it" crowd totally affects the whole atmosphere of the event, and also to an extent the acts performance (that old chestnut about the band feeding off the energy of the crowd and vice versa and whatnot). I'm not saying people should be pogo-ing around like crazy or anything, but a little bit of movement would be nice. I hate when everyone is rammed in like sardines and you feel you have to stand in a locked position, and limit any kind of physical reaction you may be feeling to the music (ie dancing a bit).....

I didn't know SY were playing there again soon, I'm going to check that out and hopefully grab a ticket right now, very exciting! You must relinquish your vow Basil, I saw 'em there on the "Washing Machine" era, and again on the "Nurse" tour.....both were incredible shows!

As for Oran Mor, it's quite a nice venue. A bit too upmarket for my liking, and very expensive for a pint, but then I guess most places are nowdays. There's no cloakroom either as I recall, which is a bit of a scunner in december. But the sound is good, and the view is decent as long as yr not stuck behind the Gary Bs of this world! :) It's quite intimate, so I'd get there fairly early if you want to be down near the front. I saw Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks there in the summer, and arrived just as they were taking the stage.....it was a great show, but I couldn't see much at all. Managed to get to roughly the middle on the left hand side (where my pals were standing), not so great a view, and it was indeed very sweaty (I think it was July or something though, the place was stifling). I'd have liked to go further forward, but it was pretty much impossible without being very ignorant to people.

I'm sure the lab gig is going to be great, and I'm glad they're playing there rather than say King Tut's (which I really don't like at all, easily the most over rated venue ever.....)

Right, that's me done with my venue ranting for now.....

8 )

Oct 14, 2008, 22:01

GaryB
GaryB
1554 posts

Viva Barras!

It's my most visited venue by a country mile. I love it. It is certainly the best venue I have been to in Britain! The pubs outside are a bit mental though :)

I was at a Shins gig in Edinburgh a couple of years ago and it was strangely subdued also. Maybe its just the Shins - I've never really listened to them since! (Chutes Too Narrow still makes me smile though).

I agree with you about King Tuts. It's wack! Although I am going to see Built To Spill there soon...(can't wait)

Oct 14, 2008, 22:21

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2133 posts

Built to Spill

Me too!

If it's not sold out already that is. I'm fairly new to them TBH, but I really like that song "Going Against Your Mind".....

8 )

Oct 14, 2008, 22:25

thomas2
thomas2
1693 posts

I was there at Reading in 1991 when Barney came on and announced "we're New Order and we're not spliitin' oop!"

Glorious.

Saw them another time in a massive tent in Finsbury Park which was crap. Kept us waiting till about midnight.

Oct 14, 2008, 22:27

Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index