Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
andy ramsay appreciation thread!
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

alex ape
alex ape
24 posts

andy ramsay appreciation thread!

Just found out he's got his own studio. Looks like he's doing alright for himself! More info on the Press Play Studio page on MySpace.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=83843085&albumID=437987&imageID=36462495">Live room

So, let's have some top Andy moments please...

Les Yper Sound from ABC stands out as a great drumming track!

Jul 09, 2009, 19:25

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Stereo Mouse
Stereo Mouse
635 posts

Re: andy ramsay appreciation thread!

What he plays on the whole ETK album, even when doing the odd-time stuff, is actually quite simple, but really works for the compositions! He's economic, but effective in a manner I have rarely heard from another drummer. He's good for the same reason Jaki Liebezeit was for Can, he's got that metronomic grooving thing down quite well.

Jul 09, 2009, 19:32

Mars Rover
Mars Rover
1337 posts

i don't think that link works.

Andy is the key to the Stereolab sound IMO.

Jul 09, 2009, 19:36

jauntymonty
jauntymonty
1623 posts

The drums and bass are my fav parts, one reason I love Stereolab! Those two elements are the heart beat and foundation for a good song. It's difficult picking a favorite drums moment, though..there are so many. Honorable mention on Margerine Eclipse!

Jul 09, 2009, 19:42

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5983 posts

Here's a link to Andy's studio myspace page:

http://www.myspace.com/pressplaystudios

Jul 09, 2009, 19:56

Eddie Chargeman
Eddie Chargeman
1576 posts

I shed light cat's shed fur ride around town like raymond burr I play my music loud you know it's got clout to it

Jul 09, 2009, 19:58

Archigram
Archigram
375 posts

I love his style. That loose/tight shuffle action on "Young Lungs" is still a favorite.

Jul 09, 2009, 20:00

lique
lique
517 posts

His work on University Microfilms International is the first that comes to mind for me. Good playing.

Jul 10, 2009, 04:54

microbehunter
microbehunter
626 posts

Underrated player.

Live is always the best indicator of a good drummer's worth... the first thing that grabs you at a Slab gig is the drums and it doesn't let up. Rather inhibited on some of the mid-period latter albums by studio tomfoolery and the Chicago effect. Is that John McEntire playing all the drum parts on SoundDust? I really like the crisp, loud drum mix on First of the Microbehunters and Andy's tight but loose playing.

Highlights:
The inside-out "double-time" shuffle on Good is Me.

Tasteful accompaniment on Margerine Melodie.

Jazz-rock flourishes on the elongated fade out to Widow Weirdo.

Jul 10, 2009, 10:04

Mu Mu
Mu Mu
2787 posts

microbehunter wrote:
tight but loose

Is that like fresh frozen?

Jul 10, 2009, 16:11

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index