Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Beck
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

guero
170 posts

Re: Beck

Stereo Mouse wrote:
So what's the best Beck album? And for what reasons?

I've so far heard Midnite Vultures and Sea Change. Both interesting in their own right. Could there be an album that would completely knock me over? Maybe Mellow Gold that Mozart Breath alluded to?

For a totally Stereo Mousey knockover or whatever, go for Stereopathetic Soul Manure. Really really weird album! The Information have lots of cool bass riffs and a bit krauty groove with great non krauty melodies on top.

Mellow Gold is the one who made me the fan I still am, back when Loser was a big radio hit. A great mix of folk, hip hop and indie rock. Then you could never go wrong with Odelay (with cool grooves, lots of analog synths and clavinet), or if you'd like som lo fi(anti-)folk, go for One Foot in the Grave!

Jul 14, 2009, 16:57

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Stereo Mouse
Stereo Mouse
635 posts

Thanks! I'll check yr recommendations.

Jul 14, 2009, 17:03

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5940 posts

With Beck, I find that most albums have strong songs and some weaker songs. I made a comp I love from Midnight Vultures, Odelay, and Mutations.

I like The Information better than Modern Guilt which has more weak songs in my opinion.

Jul 14, 2009, 18:00

Mars Rover
Mars Rover
1337 posts

Stereo Mouse wrote:
So what's the best Beck album? And for what reasons?

I've so far heard Midnite Vultures and Sea Change. Both interesting in their own right. Could there be an album that would completely knock me over? Maybe Mellow Gold that Mozart Breath alluded to?

i would say try Mutations and/or The Information.

For what reasons? i don't know if they'll completely knock you over, but on these two there is a lot of experimentation and variety. They sound like nothing else being made.

Jul 14, 2009, 18:26

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

Sea Change is my favorite. The only other two I own are Mutations, which is 2nd fav, and Guero. Midnite Vultures was really horrible. I sold it back...Early Beck, I'm only a fan of some of the songs, not enough to buy the albums.

Jul 14, 2009, 18:38

Archigram
Archigram
375 posts

I like Mutations and Sea Change, but that's about it really from what I've heard. I actually haven't heard anything from the last two or three albums.

Jul 14, 2009, 18:57

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5940 posts

Archigram wrote:
I like Mutations and Sea Change, but that's about it really from what I've heard. I actually haven't heard anything from the last two or three albums.

You might like The Information.

Jul 14, 2009, 19:56

Mozart Breath
Mozart Breath
165 posts

Golden Feelings?

Jul 14, 2009, 20:06

guero
170 posts

Mozart Breath wrote:
Golden Feelings?

I think that one (and the older tapes) are a bit too folky for Stereo Mouse if that was meant as a recommandation for him..

Jul 14, 2009, 22:10

Labhead
Labhead
1868 posts

Re: Beck / Scientology

guero wrote:
I can't believe Beck is jewish...

Religion is stupid (imo) even if it's xtianity, judaism, islam, scientology or whatever (jedi is cool though)... But whatever faith he has, has nothing to do with us - he's still one of the coolest and best artists out there imo. Religion is a personal thing as long as it doesn't hurt other people (and as far as I know - Bek has never hurt anyone)!

Beck in Spin magazine:

My father was doing scientology in the 60's, so it's something that's been around for most of my life. But the only time I hear anything negative about it is in interviews. In the real world, people I know, they don't give a shit. I was raised celebrating jewish holidays, and I concider myself jewish. But I've read books on scientology and drawn insights from that.
http://www.diskolito.com/archives/articles/pdf/2008-09-Spin-InsideTheMindOfRocksEccentricGenius.pdf

I guess I was sad when I heard, mostly.

Here's the thing. I don't view Scientology as a religion, I view it as a cult. I've heard other nations agree, such as Germany and France. It's no more a religion than psuedo-science, except obviously nothing like that... but how could it be a religion if they don't believe in a god either? They one-up us atheists, though, because there's an alien backstory from L. Ron Hubbard's mind. Of course, I think all religions are silly, but this one is one of the worst, IMHO. I don't really feel like explaining it all, but there's a lot of info out there, if their army of lawyers haven't gotten to it yet.

Hmmm... maybe we should really establish the church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster/Pastafarianism so we can reap the benefits, and stop letting the COS have all the tax-free fun. If they can do it, why can't we, right?

I have the Midnight Vultures album, but after a while it became a bit annoying I thought. I like some of his other songs (e.g. Loser), I'll have to check out some of the albums mentioned here.

Jul 15, 2009, 04:25

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index