Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Who are you?
Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

DevastatorJr.
DevastatorJr.
961 posts

Re: Who are you?

Hey LBO, What do you think about Gurdjieff, Finnegan's Wake and Neil Postman?

Oct 16, 2008, 14:36

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

meanchico
meanchico
2696 posts

I'm Ross. I live in Minneapolis. I perfect loans and act as a liason between private bankers and legal counsel for high end midwestern borrowers. I am obsessed with champagne, tuna salad and staying home. I dream of having my own laundry facilities one day. I've got a great boyfriend who I hope to buy a house with in the next few years.

I found Stereolab in 1997 - ETK and have been smitten ever since. I've seen Stereolab 4 times (all in Mpls) and Monade twice. I am diligent in trying to open people to their heady grooves.

Oct 16, 2008, 14:37

GaryB
GaryB
1554 posts

Brevity is not my friend.....

...I am Gary!

I live in (Bonnie) Dundee, although I hail from Angus, Scotland. They are seperated by only a few miles but the people are as far apart as you could imagine!

I work as a Chartered Surveyor. I am 35 years old and am presently living in sin with my partner Casey (female). We have a daughter, Emily, who is 19 months old (see avatar).

I have been into Stereolab in a serious way for a couple of years, having first dabbled in the late 90s (D&L on tape!). I have my first 'Lab gig in Glasgow in December, and would hope to meet 'basil too' and 'hobobachang' there. And any other Jock Forum people?!

I have been on the the forum for around 1 year.

Other fave bands include Sonic Youth, The Fall, Wedding Present, New Order, Sebadoh, Pavement, Built To Spill, The Smiths, Yo La Tengo, Unrest, Dinosaur Jr., Pixies....phew!

Oct 16, 2008, 14:40

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

DevastatorJr. wrote:
Hey LBO, What do you think about Gurdjieff, Finnegan's Wake and Neil Postman?

I'm impressed with what little I know of Gurdjieff and his followers, although I'm not fully versed in his teachings. I went to a Gurdjieff event once and was struck by the calm, quiet, deliberate way in which the people presented themselves.

I don't have the time or patience to read and understand Finnegan's wake.

I'm reading about Neil Postman just now--I like his ideas so far.

Oct 16, 2008, 14:47

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

My name is Francesco.
I am 36, italian, but I have been living in London for 10 years (blooooody umbelievable!).
I am a musician and I work part-time in a London Underground ticket office.
I've been following Stereolab since ETK and I saw them live 7 or 8 times. I've spoken to the band in various occasions.
I appeared in the forum as vibexperiment years sgo (after SOUND DUST) and came back as velvetwater when CHEMICAL CHORDS was released.
I love many genres of music, with a particular interest in late 60's-early 70's records which I collect. My favorite Stereolab albums are: COBRA, SOUND DUST, DOTS & LOOPS, ETK and the compilations ALUMINUM TUNES and OSCILLONS.
Ciao!

Oct 16, 2008, 15:09

astro_jose
astro_jose
32 posts

I'm Jose. I live in Maracaibo-Venezuela and work in a petrochemical complex as a safety engineer at a natural gas processing plant.
I'm 25 years old, a musician too. Met Stereolab in 1997 with Miss Modular and got hooked right there, specially after Sound-Dust which is the time when i silently joined the forum :)
My favorite Stereolab albums are switched on, refried ectoplasm, dots and loops, cobra and phases, and sound dust. I went deep on Stereolab members and found Imitation electric Piano (their last album being one of my favorite albums ever) and the short but beautiful Hybird by Mary Hansen. (She sings "hot buttered buns" and "3CPO" hehe)

Oct 16, 2008, 15:59

Bytor Peltor
Bytor Peltor
165 posts

Hello - I am Bytor and I've been listening to The Lab since the beginning. I too live in the great state of Texas! I work for the local county government. Yesterday, I testified in court representing the department I work for. I went all Denny Crane on their azz : ) I love the noisier side of musick: Nurse With Wound, Hafler Trio, Coil, Current 93, Legendary Pink Dots and the such.

Oct 16, 2008, 16:18

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5928 posts

Sue, not very prolific digital artist, live in the SF Bay Area. I'm a transplant, I grew up on LI, NY. I was an art teacher for a long time, now, for the time being, I'm taking care of a 3 year old with special needs. Very rewarding and interesting to learn about how to handle his issues, but frustrating at the same time.

I got into Stereolab heavily around Sound-Dust, and immediately went back and loved Dots and ETK. I'm very hooked on them, and this forum and the green screen. I've met quite a few green screeners when they come through SF. It's nice that after all these years a lot of people have met and are friends. Love you guys.

Oct 16, 2008, 16:27

Archigram
Archigram
375 posts

I'm Norm. I live in Seattle, work at a Naturopathic health student-teaching clinic in administration. I'm also in school finishing up an architectural engineering degree. I collect records obsessively and do occasional freelance illustration. I live with my gf in a little house with a huge yard and have two lovely dogs.

I've been a huge lab fan since 1993 when I bought Space Age Bachelor Pad Music. They've remained my favorite band through the years, though I am disappointed with Chemical Chords.

Oct 16, 2008, 16:30

wracket
wracket
1426 posts

Hi, I'm Mike, 32...have lived in Paris for the past nine years but am Yanqui by passport. I manage emerging market equities for a multinational monstrosity, though the way things are heading I think I'd better build up my calluses as I blow the dust off my teenage grass-cutter skill set...

Been into The Groop since '96, so ETK. Seen them bunches...interviewed Sean O on the Dots tour for my college radio job but forgot to bring my tape recorder.

*insert "walks on the beach"-themed joke here*

Oct 16, 2008, 18:07

Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index