Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Who are you?
Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

MY RETURN
1963 posts

I am *snicker*

Oops. I typoed. (comp froze for a sec) Blast. :(

I'd h8 for the spel polize to get my on that one.

"Morris. Born and raised in Houston. An all-around nice guy. Hellraiser for fun."

Oct 24, 2008, 03:47

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

luisgomezz
luisgomezz
5 posts

Re: Who are you?

I'm Luis. I'm from Venezuela but I have been living in Miami for 8 years. I'm an audio engineer an a big Stereolab's fan.

Oct 24, 2008, 16:20

GaryB
GaryB
1554 posts

[quote My partner Laura and I are going to have a baby on New Year's Day. [/quote]

Do you have a crystal ball?

Oct 24, 2008, 16:28

madcat
madcat
3 posts

Hi, I'm Joe and I live in LA. I first became aware of the groop while at college circa Transient Random Noise Bursts, but really got hooked on ETK. Over the years I've seen them all over the world as I've moved around (New York, SF, Chicago several times, London, Barcelona, and as of last night, LA). I suppose I don't have any trouble, when pressed, calling them my favourite band. I'm not generally into band forums and have never ventured here before, but you all seem lovely, so hello!

Oct 24, 2008, 20:37

Mu Mu
Mu Mu
2778 posts

I love your avatar, I feel like it's breathing, slowly.

Oct 24, 2008, 21:02

lab.rat
12 posts

I'm Jonathan of Auckland. I work as a web developer, currently creating a banking infrastructure for Africa. I have a B.A. in Philosophy and Psychology (which might explain this pseudonym) and a B.Sc in Computer Science. I'm 35 and a vegetarian.

I became aware of Stereolab when they played in my home town in early 1998. I'd never heard of them before and only went along because my sister's band was supporting them. When I arrived there were two slightly older, cool-looking women sitting outside and I wondered who they were (they were Laetitia and Mary). I think I had heard some of their songs before and didn't like them, but their gig went off - they enjoyed it too - and I've been a fan ever since.

Oct 25, 2008, 03:53

Peepscat
24 posts

I'm a film professor in NYC and a huge Stereolab fan. I first heard of them back in 1992, and quickly bought some of the early singles (now mostly missing as a result of too many moves), then Peng, Switched On, Space Age Bachelor Pad Music and TRNBWA. I moved to Houston in 1994 and saw Stereolab for the first time that month in Dallas as part of Lollapalooza--the main attraction for me. I got a glow in the dark Cliff long sleeved T-shirt (lost in one of those moves) which came in necessary when the temperature dropped from the high 90s to the low 60s after an incredible storm that fortunately came after Stereolab's set. I remember cycling to the record store to pick up MAQ and ETK, although I can't remember when I got the Charles Long cd.

During winter-spring-summer 1997, I saw Stereolab a lot hanging out at the Rainbo Club on Damen Street in Chicago (when they were recording and mixing Dots and Loops), but never dared go up to speak. Mary and Laetitia always seemed such good friends and I'd just look on.

Years later, thanks to a friend who is good friends with Simon, I hung out with them after the Saturday night Town Hall set and went drinking with Andy (who is really nice), Simon (who is great--hysterically funny) and Joe. I told Simon about my times watching them at the Rainbo and he said I should have just come over and hung out with them. Even that night, I dared not speak to Tim or Laetitia (who sat backstage on the beer chest and didn't say much).

Then I met Laetitia when buying tickets at Irving Plaza--I arrived as the group were setting up, stared (I guess) too much and finally she stood and looked at me. I gabbled about how much I loved them and how huge a fan I was (showing my ipod as evidence I had everything, every side product, tour single, remix). She was lovely--and really beautiful.I was a gabbering mess.

So, they've been the soundtrack to graduate school, my dissertation, snowy nights in Chicago, Houston heatwaves, dull days in Pittsburgh and now life in NYC.

I've seen them five times, the best concert being the Microbe tour in Pittsburgh. Favorite albums are Dots and Loops, Cobra, Microbe Hunters, Oscillions. Love the tour singles, especially Jump Drive Shout Out, Rose My Rocket Brain, and the Underground Is Coming.

Oct 28, 2008, 20:01

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5924 posts

Wow peepscat, great stories! Simon's a riot, when he had a myspace page we could access, he wrote some pretty funny stuff on there about the last tour.

Oct 29, 2008, 04:22

Peepscat
24 posts

Thanks! I love Simon--he is hysterically funny and really, really nice.I wish his myspace was still accessible.

Didn't he move out of England?

Oct 29, 2008, 17:32

crest
crest
63 posts

Dave - Ohio - defense trial lawyer - 41

Loved the lab since discovering them on the release of Cobra, then went back and liked the back catalogue, except for Dots & Loops. That one still doesn't catch me.

I like beer, I like food, I like being sarcastic

Been on the forum for a couple of years on and off, not all that often - it's better now!

Oct 30, 2008, 20:01

Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index