Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Who are you?
Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cybele
cybele
736 posts

Re: Who are you?

My actual name is Robert, and although my screen name is Cybele (and the fact that my writing has been likened to that of a high school girl) I am actually a 34 year old voodoo man chile. I?ve been Cybele now since I came onto the forum during the Cobra phases. I got into the Groop ever since the Parsec VW Bug commercial. I had seen the commercial a few times and was amazed. It stopped airing on TV for several months, but I never forgot about it.

Funny story. . .I got on the internet for the absolute first time, went to Yahoo, and found out that the commercial was featuring Parsec. This was the first ?entry? or ?query? I made on the internet. Bought Dots and Loops, fell in love, then Aluminum, then Cobra, then eventually everything I could get my hands on. Then I got a computer and became Cybele.

Am I a Republican? I insist that I?m not, but I have been labeled as the forum Conservative. While I might be the only Stereolab fan that has a few (mostly fiscal) Conservative bones in their body, it doesn?t really bother me because I?ve met some really cool people here, and I continue to enjoy all of the convos and arguments that come up.

Recently, I visited London and meet some real genuine people there, but meeting people from the rest of the world on this forum continues to be an amazing thing, and the significance of it never gets old to me.

I?ve always lived in various places in the Chicago area. My father fixed cars and my mother sold clothes and insurance. I work in a billing department downtown. I love Chicago and I love music. I love my girlfriend. I love movies and other forms of art past and present. I hate violent and stupid people (usually go hand in hand).

Please advise,
Cybele

Oct 16, 2008, 18:49

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

DevastatorJr.
DevastatorJr.
961 posts

I also just started reading Neil Postman, his book, "Building A Bridge To The 18th Century". I'm usually very gung-ho Yay technology, but reading Postman, he's basically against unneccessary(read almost all at this point,) technological innovation, is very sobering.

I went through a big (Kate Bush induced) Gurdjieff phase when I was younger, he's definitely worth checking out.

And I am a Finnegan's Wake fanatic. It's not as bad as it looks and very rewardign once you get into it. But you need a book ABOUT the book to really get into it. There are several, but I reccommend "Joyce's Book of the Dark" by John Bishop.

Oct 16, 2008, 19:08

Jackson
20 posts

Finnegan?s Wake is only worth reading out loud, to someone else.

Ok, that is my blanket statement for the year; )

Oct 16, 2008, 19:20

DevastatorJr.
DevastatorJr.
961 posts

I actually sort of agree. Not with the "only" part, but that's definitely one of the best ways to read it.

Oct 16, 2008, 19:23

modfinger
modfinger
136 posts

My name is Mack. Irish heritage. I will be 56 in January. I'm married for 33 years to the same girl, an Architect living in Kentucky. I drive a 10 year old BMW and it will go 130.I am addicted to Stereolab and now looking for other bands to get into. Always have been a prog rock guy, but loving the indie and alternative scene now! My daughter is here too, but she will speak for herself.

Oct 16, 2008, 19:27

JS
JS
489 posts

I'm JS, 34, from Montr?al, Canada. I work as a CNC machinist for an aerospace company. The ideal job: Very good pay for very little work.

I discovered the Groop around 2000, seeing the Super-electric video on MuchMusic. First got Cobra, then Microbe, then mostly everything else.

I've been on this forum since 2001. I am the most hated person here, especially by the American nationalists. My refusal to kneel before the might of the evil empire had brought me some ennemies among the sycophants of the aforementioned empire. I also faced intolerance and hate because of my beliefs and critical views against democracy and the evolution theory. Sad truth: Lab fans are not necessarily forward-thinking and open minded.

That being said, I had many fascinating discussions about religion and politics with some members. Good times, really.

I often wonder why I keep on frequenting this board, considering the deep disagreements I have with most people here... Maybe it's because I've been here for so long it is now part of me.

Oct 16, 2008, 19:44

EnosEmurf
EnosEmurf
22 posts

Nope, in my opinion they suck after Red.

Oct 16, 2008, 19:47

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

JS wrote:

I often wonder why I keep on frequenting this board, considering the deep disagreements I have with most people here... Maybe it's because I've been here for so long it is now part of me.

I like you.

Oct 16, 2008, 19:57

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

EnosEmurf wrote:
Nope, in my opinion they suck after Red.

Three albums after Red are the best, the maroon one, the blue one and the yellow one.

I don't like Thrak. I like VROOOM and B'BOOM though.

And I like The ProjecKts. The rest of it I can do without.

And I don't like Lizard.

Oct 16, 2008, 20:11

Stereo Mouse
Stereo Mouse
635 posts

Lizard is most definitely the least typical Crimso album, because unlike the classic KC formations that rely heavily on guitar-bass-drums formula in the progressive context, Lizard instead focuses on brass and woodwind work (some of the players worked with Soft Machine) and is the most jazz-influenced work, the fusion of jazz with classicism is particularly striking on "Bolero" from the title track suite. To simplify, Lizard is to KC what Cobra is to Lab.

But hey EnosEmurf, care to name the Zappa alumni that you've worked with? Frank Zappa is one of my all time favorites.

As for myself, I'll post something about me a lil' later.

Oct 16, 2008, 20:27

Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index