Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Who are you?
Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

EnosEmurf
EnosEmurf
22 posts

Re: Who are you?

Mike Keneally, Adrian Belew, Napoleon Murphy Brock and I've met Ike Willis a few times.

Oct 16, 2008, 20:31

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Stereo Mouse
Stereo Mouse
635 posts

EnosEmurf wrote:
Mike Keneally, Adrian Belew, Napoleon Murphy Brock and I've met Ike Willis a few times.

Pretty good!

What instrument(s) do you play?

Oct 16, 2008, 20:34

easychord
69 posts

I like to sing along with the songs while driving. A nice sound studio, my MINI Cooper. Stereolab is a recent interest. Actually, I may have been brainwashed by my dear old dad playing his at the other end of the house! This forum is fun, interesting and to some extent a learning resource as well with all the discussion about music and politics. Apparently food is discussed as well, but I didn?t see that. I attend at a local university working towards a Business major with a minor in Art. Hope to design and market my own clothing designs. Ok, my name is Zanie, 19 years old and wise for my years mind you!

I have this handy little chart of phrases where you can put the phrases together in different combinations so as to create statements that sound like they say something but actually don?t. Check this one out:

One might say that the massing of major musical elements must utilize and be functionally interwoven with the sophisticated solution of the musical composition. Aesthetically speaking the introduction of brutalism maximizes the real probability of emotional overruns for the anticipated degree of impact on the human ambiance. On the other hand the treatment of the main riff adds acuteness with a certain conflict gradient. With sensitive respect for human auditory scale the by-product of repetitive sound articulation requires exhaustive tradeoff in the final quantitative analysis. Indubitably, above and beyond plebian acoustical comfort objectives, the auditory impact analysis presents extremely synergistic challenges to the philosophy of noncommonality and unstandardization. Beyond the horizon of human intellect the structural dynamic analysis imposes smothering constraints upon the creation of an immortal monument to posterity. In the final rationalization the internal use of overlaying chord adjacencies eliminates the overridding constraints to the final composition.

Oct 16, 2008, 20:36

Stereo Mouse
Stereo Mouse
635 posts

Erki, 24 (but turning 25 in about 6 weeks), Estonian. A musician and composer. Projects include: Opium Flirt (drums and other instruments), Wrupk Urei (woodwinds) and Multiphonic Rodent (solo, all instruments). A freelance music critic. Have studied psychology, but I'm abandoning it. My real aspiration is to study media and become a freelance journalist.

Joined the forum in September 2002. First heard Stereolab at 17th birthday. Favorite album: ETK. Mary Hansen was one of the few people whose death really made me feel very sad. RIP.

Feel free to check out my music at:
http://www.myspace.com/multiphonicrodent
http://www.myspace.com/opiumflirt

Oh, and I translate all of my professional reviews (and write a bunch of others for mostly older music) in English at my music review blog:

http://stereomouse.blogspot.com

Oct 16, 2008, 20:40

Mu Mu
Mu Mu
2778 posts

easychord wrote:
I have this handy little chart of phrases where you can put the phrases together in different combinations so as to create statements that sound like they say something but actually don?t.

I don't know if you've looked into the works of William S Burroughs and Brion Gysin, particularly their collaborative stuff, but I get the feeling you'd dig it.

Oct 16, 2008, 20:41

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

easychord wrote:

I have this handy little chart of phrases where you can put the phrases together in different combinations so as to create statements that sound like they say something but actually don?t. Check this one out:

LOL, where did you get that?

Oct 16, 2008, 20:44

Kazak
Kazak
1618 posts

I'm a David, 37, Oklahoma. Married with one child, a girl, virtually 3. Went to college but somehow didn't manage to actually graduate (what happened?). Consequently I work in the evil automotive industry on the parts and service end of things (parts). I continue to be pretty unsatisfied with it, but it pays the bills, 14 years now. I've been into Stereolab since around '98 or so after first acquiring Aluminum Tunes. I've seen Stereolab 3 times and Broadcast twice. I'm also a huge fan of Luke Vibert and The Flaming Lips. I can't exactly recall when I joined the forum, but I do know it was before Sound-Dust was released so it must've been when the forum was pretty new. Uhm, I'm drawing a blank...

Oct 16, 2008, 23:26

waxenpith
waxenpith
1529 posts

I'm Kyle! I was named after a child who was crushed under my mothers bus (she drove school bus when pregnant with me) During a terrible snow storm a bus that should not have been dispatched lost its footing, rolled over and crushed a child. His name was Kyle. My mother never really got over that and named me after him as (i guess) some form of gratitude or repayment.

I am Twenty Nine years old. I will be Thirty in ... fourty five days or so, and I'm scared shitless.

I inherited my grandmothers house after spending two years taking care of her in it. She had severe Dimensia and often spoke to the mirrors and bound cutlery and other utensils in towels and belts and hid them around the house in ceiling tiles and vents. During this tumultuous time i became very pre-occupied with Ramsays theory that music for children doesnt necessarily have to be for children. That music placated her and was my only moment of peace in 2 years. I see stereolab as part of that theory.

After inheriting the house i decided to leave a job of finance that i hated and opt for something that i could hold my head up and enjoy every moment of every day, and i do. I currently manage a music store with a small staff of young ppl that i enjoy very much. (and who i think enjoy me) I have a BF of 4.5 years. I enjoy concerts, art museums, and things that require a little thought.

I've seen the groop five times. Two mary's and three non. I have not met any members of the groop and do not care too. I have however met Bj?rk 4 times. And altho i think her newest album is kinda crappy, i was super obcessed with her in the 90's. She was surprisingly nice and acc?midating.

I'm 6'4 balding and have a full beard. I've been on and off the forum 5 years or so, and didnt start speaking untill recently.

Oct 17, 2008, 00:46

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2133 posts

I'm Ewan from East Kilbride (near Glasgow) in Scotland. I'm just turned 34 last month and single at the moment. Went back to uni as a mature student to study music production about five years ago, but like most of my younger counterparts I found it neigh on impossible to find any kind of related employment afterwards. I currently work for the Hilton hotel chain, doing very basic web design stuff (also with very basic pay, unfortunately). Well, it's all templated pages i deal with, so it's more like a content update role than actual design work, with only limited creative opportunities in making banners etc now and again. Still, I quite enjoy it, it's nice and relaxed (most of the time), plus the office we work from also houses an international call centre, which is full of beautiful European ladies :)

I first got into Stereolab from a mixed tape some hipster classmate of my younger brothers had made for him, not sure of the year, but the current album in the shops at the time was ETK, as I clearly remember about six months down the line buying Dots and Loops on coloured vinyl from the Our Price store in East Kilbride town centre (unthinkable nowdays!), on the day it came out. By that point I had also purchased all of the previous groop records I could lay my hands on.....

The song which grabbed me and drew me in on this tape I mentioned was "Crest" - I thought it sounded amazing, driving yet hypnotic, all those distorted layers and that bass line. It remains one of my favourite groop tracks to this day. I first saw Stereolab live at the Garage in Glasgow on 29th September 1997 (thanks to Koly for jogging my memory there, and even reminding me of the setlist! The show was completely mesmerising to me, and I was hooked for life. I have since taken every opportunity to see the groop, 5 times so far. Also Monade once. And I've shook hands / briefly spoken to Laetitia after shows twice (Margerine Eclipse tour and Monade this year). I was rather the worse for wear on both occassions and don't think she could understand my accent too well. At Monade in Sleazie's this year I was highly excitable and cheering down at the front as the band took the stage, and Laetitia smiled at me and did some comedy "rock action" moves. Groovy!

I think I started posting on here shortly after the forum went online again after being shut down due to trolling and suchlike. Must have been about 5/6 years ago or something. So, there you have it.....my "lab life-story" !

8 )

Oct 17, 2008, 01:21

Mars Rover *bow wow*
Mars Rover *bow wow*
92 posts

This thread goes to show....people love to talk about themselves.

Me, me, me:

Hi there. I am Jake. I like ice cream, pizza, kittens, and surround-sound. Yo.

I grew up in southern New Jersey near Philadelphia, but have lived near Pittsburgh with my girlfriend I met in college for the last 4 years. I teach World Cultures and American History, grades 9 & 11. Graduated from York College of PA in 2004. I love photography, which is my real passion in life which coincides with my love for nature. Every summer I take a pilgrimage to the western U.S. to find photos and visit my holy land. Here is my website: www.photosmcfee.com

I have loved the lab since i saw them play on the 2000 tour with Sonic Youth. They have changed the way i enjoy music.

Oct 17, 2008, 01:57

Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index