Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Unfinished Business
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

xperceptor
xperceptor
337 posts

Re: Oy!

wracket wrote:
Robyn Hitchcock is brilliant--Syd Barrett meets Andy Partridge--though quite effusive in his output, which can be frustrating for one looking to work back through his collection. There are a few other Robyn Hitchcock fans here.

Maybe we should start a separate thread to help you get to the bottom of where best to begin your journey into his mad world.

Early Pink Floyd meets the Partridge family. Retro! Please, let it begin!

Aug 10, 2009, 20:00

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

wracket
wracket
1425 posts

xperceptor wrote:

That would be Andy Partridge of XTC. But maybe you could throw a touch of Danny Bonaduce in there if it helps it go down more smoothly!

Aug 10, 2009, 20:04

GaryB
GaryB
1554 posts

XTC

Where's a good place to start? I know you are a 'super-fan'!!

Aug 10, 2009, 20:34

GaryB
GaryB
1554 posts

Re: Unfinished Business

The only one I feel 'qualified' to comment on is Teenage Fanclub & Jad Fair. It's a pretty nice album. Jad has a very distictive semi-spoken singing voice which you either like or don't. I like it! The music is melodic indie/pop/rock. Jad also did a similar project with Yo La Tengo. I actually prefer that one.

That should (could) lead you to Half Japanese - Jad's earlier groop. They are a blast!

Aug 10, 2009, 20:41

c in dc
c in dc
1032 posts

Re: XTC

GaryB wrote:
Where's a good place to start? I know you are a 'super-fan'!!

From another superfan-

"English Settlement" is XTC at the height of their powers.
The "Upsy Daisy" greatest hits compilation is a nice sampler.

Aug 10, 2009, 20:45

xperceptor
xperceptor
337 posts

wracket wrote:
xperceptor wrote:

That would be Andy Partridge of XTC. But maybe you could throw a touch of Danny Bonaduce in there if it helps it go down more smoothly!

No,no. Guess I thought the Partridge refernce was humor or sarcasm.

Aug 10, 2009, 20:51

GaryB
GaryB
1554 posts

Thanks, C! :)

Aug 10, 2009, 20:52

xperceptor
xperceptor
337 posts

XTC is great. Their songs are like parodies about people we all know in life.

Aug 10, 2009, 20:59

meanchico
meanchico
2696 posts

I absolutely adore Hot Chip and Scott Walker.

With Hot Chip you can start out anywhere. It's all quite good. Their first album is the most chill. The rest are quite dancey, but very well produced. Much like the Lab, the music gets better the more you listen to it.

As far as Scott Walker goes, stick with the late 60's/early 70's stuff. His work from the mid 70's on is interesting, but quite hard to listen to.

Little Things (That Keep Us Together)
Stormy
Next
Jackie
Mathilde
The Big Hurt
Sons Of
Rosemary
Montague Terrace (In Blue)
Boy Child
It's Raining Today
The Bridge
Amsterdam
The Seventh Seal
The Old Man's Back Again (Dedicated To The Neo-Stalinist Regime)
30 Century Man
Hero Of The War

There is also a really great documentary that recently came out about Scott called "Scott Walker, 30 Century Man." He's an incredibly fascinating man.

Aug 10, 2009, 21:11

meanchico
meanchico
2696 posts

errr.......the list is of my favorite Scott Walker tracks.

Aug 10, 2009, 21:12

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index