Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Unfinished Business
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

wracket
wracket
1425 posts

Re: XTC

c in dc wrote:
GaryB wrote:
Where's a good place to start? I know you are a 'super-fan'!!

From another superfan-

"English Settlement" is XTC at the height of their powers.
The "Upsy Daisy" greatest hits compilation is a nice sampler.

Yes, English Settlement is pretty amazing. Though you really can't go wrong with anything from the Black Sea-through-Dukes of Stratosphear era. (Er, I guess that's pretty much the whole of the '80s.) Among those releases, if you don't mind a strings-heavy concept album then Skylarking could be another one to check out. But maybe not as a first XTC album.

But I really love the whole lot, from their punky beginnings all the way to their intelligent adult rock end.

Aug 10, 2009, 21:58

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

GaryB
GaryB
1554 posts

I heard a smoking song on radio tonight by XTC, but it was so good I can't remember the name??? I think the word 'God' was in the title. It was very post-punky sounding. Ace in fact!

Aug 10, 2009, 22:38

wracket
wracket
1425 posts

Dear God, perhaps? Did it have a boy singing in the beginning and end of it?

That's on Skylarking. (Well, it's on the US version of Skylarking. The original British pressing had a different song in its place, but it made it big on American university radio as the b-side of the single Grass, so they wisely decided to include it on the US version of the album.)

Aug 10, 2009, 22:44

wracket
wracket
1425 posts

wracket wrote:
Did it have a boy singing in the beginning and end of it?

Er, that should read "girl". For the longest time (perhaps due to the video?) I assumed it was a boy and I guess it stuck.

Aug 10, 2009, 22:57

GaryB
GaryB
1554 posts

Yes, it was Dear God. I didn't recognise it from the snippet in itunes, but I googled the radio show playlist and that confirmed it (good old 6music and Steve Lurpak).

I'm gonna get me some XTC (I actually know heaps of the songs on itunes - I'm like, "oh right, that was XTC, blimey".

Cheers!

Aug 11, 2009, 00:08

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

Re: Unfinished Business

king diamond used to play every week in the town I grew up in. king diamond on saturdays and pantera.

Aug 11, 2009, 02:27

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

pantera looked like stryper

Aug 11, 2009, 02:27

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

xperceptor wrote:
In my quest for new music ( or old music I havenít heard) I have accumulated a lengthy list of artists from sources I donít remember that I still need to listen to. Would any of you guys like to comment on any of these? Thanks.

Jakarta Skyscraper
Kynduvme
Anthony Rochester
Modular
Lumenty
Le Futur Pompiste
Shimura Curves
Watoo Watoo
Rarebird
D. Knouse
Sufjan Stevens
Ani DiFranco
Hitchcock & The Eygyptians
Robyn
Mercury Rev
Plain White Tees
Aqualung
Cevit
Pop Levi
10 Stones
Hot Chip
Woven Hand
Andrew Pekler
Shirley Collins
Scott Walker
King Diamond
Snowman
Teenage Fanclub & Jad Fair

Sufjan Stevens is interesting on first listen, but starts sounding boring after a while to me. Le Future Pompiste got a lot of talk around these parts over the years but they haven't finished their new album in like years I think. Hope it comes out eventually. I liked Robyn Hitchcock and saw him live a few times, I remember Queen Elvis being pretty good.

Aug 11, 2009, 04:17

Kazak
Kazak
1618 posts

I second Hot Chip, they're formidable.

Aug 11, 2009, 04:46

c in dc
c in dc
1032 posts

Mu Mu wrote:
Le Futur Pompiste and Modular sound like Stereolab knockoff bands, if that's what you're into.

I love Modular, and think they are much more than a Stereolab knockoff (no offense to Mu Mu; music is very subjective). Sure, Modular are great with the Moogs, and some parts of their songs do pay homage to Stereolab, but they find their own unique breezy space-age retro, surreal, dreamy, cinematic groove that is worth checking out. The band members have a pretty wide and sophisticated palette of musical tastes and influences, and are only in the game for their love of music. Modular can be a little more subtle and background/easy listening than the 'Lab, but I think that fans of the High Llamas and Stereolab would enjoy this music.
Either way, they have some free downloads on their site:
http://www.modular.com.ar/
and their new album on the Elefant label is now on iTunes.

Aug 11, 2009, 06:40

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index