Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Robyn Hitchcock / Soft Boys
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

wracket
wracket
1425 posts

Robyn Hitchcock / Soft Boys

As referenced in the "Unfinished Business" thread, I figured that some of my fellow Robyn Hitchcock / Soft Boys fans (I know there are a few here) could help xperceptor or anyone else who might be interested in venturing into Robyn's righteous realm with suggestions of his best/most representative albums.

Off the top of my head, I'd suggest:

Fegmania!
Black Snake Diamond Role
Queen Elvis
Invisible Hits (The Soft Boys)

Aug 10, 2009, 20:19

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

c in dc
c in dc
1032 posts

Re: Robyn Hitchcock / Soft Boys

wracket wrote:
As referenced in the "Unfinished Business" thread, I figured that some of my fellow Robyn Hitchcock / Soft Boys fans (I know there are a few here) could help xperceptor or anyone else who might be interested in venturing into Robyn's righteous realm with suggestions of his best/most representative albums.

Off the top of my head, I'd suggest:

Fegmania!
Black Snake Diamond Role
Queen Elvis
Invisible Hits (The Soft Boys)

Underwater Moonlight (Soft Boys) is a classic also.

I Often Dream of Trains (Robyn Hitchcock) is beautiful, acoustic, spooky, surreal, autumnal, and just plain genius.

Aug 10, 2009, 20:40

Kazak
Kazak
1618 posts

My favorites are "Invisible Hitchcock", "I Often Dream of Trains", "Globe of Frogs", and I also really enjoyed his latest offering "Goodnight Olso." And then, of course, everything else.

Aug 10, 2009, 21:20

Kazak
Kazak
1618 posts

Oooh, ooooh...

And "Element of Light" is a GREAT Egyptians record, not to be forgotten!!

Aug 10, 2009, 21:26

wracket
wracket
1425 posts

Yes, you and Kazak are right that "I Often Dream of Trains" should be on there. I probably tend to forget that album because of it featuring a song of the same name. That confuses pea-sized brains, you see.

Aug 10, 2009, 21:45

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

Moss Elixir
Storefront Hitchcock

Aug 10, 2009, 21:55

wracket
wracket
1425 posts

Okay, now we've listed over half of his solo output and a few Soft Boys albums to boot. So I guess what we're saying is, the best way to start out with Robyn Hitchcock is just to buy all his albums!

Aug 10, 2009, 22:04

xperceptor
xperceptor
337 posts

Did some quick sampling on YT. What fork in the road did I take to miss this? Unbelievable Love, Madonna of the Wasps, Freeze. This is right up my alley, every song is great!

Chow.

Aug 11, 2009, 00:15

wracket
wracket
1425 posts

xperceptor wrote:
What fork in the road did I take to miss this? ... This is right up my alley, every song is great!

Yes, Robyn never got any real love from mainstream radio or MTV, so I think it was always a matter of being fortunate enough to know someone who already liked him (for me it was my older brother) or maybe tuning in to the right indie station at the right time. Still, he's been making some pretty tremendous music for quite a while now. And live he's top notch, both in terms of performance and witty banter!

Aug 11, 2009, 09:24

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

I'm on vacation and don't have any music here... but I recall liking Queen Elvis, and Perspec Island if that's what it's called. I seem to remember I like him except when he got too ballad-y. He was great live!

Aug 11, 2009, 16:45

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index