Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Why does music so often divide the sexes?
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Stereo Mouse
Stereo Mouse
635 posts

Why does music so often divide the sexes?

Here's an interesting article that seeks to explain the differences between the music tastes of men and women. Could this be why it is so hard to find a girlfriend with compatible music taste?

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article4867532.ece

Oct 17, 2008, 17:21

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

meanchico
meanchico
2696 posts

Re: Why does music so often divide the sexes?

It's certainly never easy with same sex couples either. I can vouch for that!

Music is so subjective. As much as I love it when people I date have similar music tastes, it's always interesting to see what they feel strongly about. It can open new doors.

Oct 17, 2008, 17:36

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

Shouldn't that read "later Genesis?" I wouldn't call Invisible Touch more serious and appealing to boys than The Knife.

Oct 17, 2008, 17:43

k.
k.
407 posts

I don't think music compatibility is important, or at least having the prerequisite of similar tastes. It's rewarding when you can live in the now with someone and turn each other onto new stuff, not the same stuff.

Oct 17, 2008, 17:44

Stereo Mouse
Stereo Mouse
635 posts

k. wrote:
I don't think music compatibility is important, or at least having the prerequisite of similar tastes. It's rewarding when you can live in the now with someone and turn each other onto new stuff, not the same stuff.

Compatibility means that your mental nature allows you to accept whatever your partner is listening to. If your gf utterly rejects Stereolab, then that's a bit on the crap side, I'm afraid.

Oct 17, 2008, 17:50

k.
k.
407 posts

Heart > Mind

Better a girl with a good heart but incompatible music, than the opposite. I've dated some girls with wonderful music taste and were very knowledgeable, but at the expense of emotional substance.

Oct 17, 2008, 17:53

meanchico
meanchico
2696 posts

I LOVE the Knife! Great videos!

Oct 17, 2008, 17:54

modfinger
modfinger
136 posts

I think women get into the lyrics especially if the lyrics convey someting they are feeling. If my wife puts on song I immediatley know to listen to the words and to question what's on her mind because she is sending a message. Another aspect of this issue is your lady feels like she has to compete with your music especially if the artist is female, so increase your attention to her in an equal exponent as the intensity of the music!

Oct 17, 2008, 17:57

k.
k.
407 posts

^^ This is some sound sage sentience, right h'yah.

Oct 17, 2008, 17:59

Stereo Mouse
Stereo Mouse
635 posts

k. wrote:
Heart > Mind

Better a girl with a good heart but incompatible music, than the opposite. I've dated some girls with wonderful music taste and were very knowledgeable, but at the expense of emotional substance.

Both are important. I could have a sweet girl and yet feel dissatisfied with her because we just have different ideas how to spend our leisure time. It's seemingly a little thing, but remember, if one thing causes you a slight grief about some woman, trust me, it'll grieve you even more years later.

Oct 17, 2008, 18:00

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index