Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
"Honey, I shrunk the record store!!"
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

vista7@hotmail.com
337 posts

"Honey, I shrunk the record store!!"

Wow, I went to Criminal Records in Little 5 points Atlanta a few weeks ago. This once great monument for music lovers is a meager ruin of what it once was. Gone is the wide selection. i was looking for Pinback and Tortoise; all I could find was "millions" by Tortoise. I asked the clerk why the selection was so poor - "the internet; plus we can't afford to have a full selection of bands works." I wonder if this is a common occurence across this great land. The best record store I have seen was in Boulder, Co; Albums on the hill. Chicago had great stores too.

Aug 15, 2009, 16:50

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

mellotron
mellotron
154 posts

Re:

Hopefully Amoeba Records (L.A., San Francisco, and Berkeley) haven't suffered this fate. I try to make a pilgrimage there every few years.

We used to have a few decent stores here in Albuquerque (Bow Wow, Natural Sound) but they've suffered the double whammy of not only internet/crappy sales, but also astronomical rent increases now that the neighborhood has become infested with real estate speculators (yes, they still exist).

Aug 15, 2009, 18:56

Labhead
Labhead
1868 posts

Re:

They might order something for you, but the price would probably suck.

Aug 15, 2009, 21:48

k.
k.
407 posts

Re:

Yeah, I've seen some great record stores close down in Detroit in the last 4 years. There's only one good one left. The others have been reduced to the used-cd/lp trade. I have tried to place special orders with some of these stores, and only the one is able to consistently fulfill them, and even then there's only x-amount of labels that are distributed to them. That's the other problem, some distributors are failing, such as Caroline (Arts & Crafts, Astralwerks, CarPark, Eastern Conference, Ghostly, Morr, Mr Bongo, Plug Research, Rapster, Warp, etc.), to distribute to these stores, plus keeping lower and lower stocks in their own warehouses. Pretty soon the record store will be one more missing piece of the pedestrian consumer experience.

Aug 15, 2009, 23:50

vista7@hotmail.com
337 posts

Re:

yah, a lot of stuff is going out of print; kind of wierd how the digital and internet age is making some music scarces. There's not a market for a lot of music that was put out in the 90's. Luckily some of the younger generation has latched on to some of the bands that we late 30's folks grew up with; like MBV.

Aug 16, 2009, 07:06

Mozart Breath
Mozart Breath
165 posts

Re:

Records suck.

Aug 16, 2009, 10:57

waxenpith
waxenpith
1529 posts

Re:

Canada is an entirely differnt scene, but...

Whilst i was in florida Daddy Kool records moved to a store half the size and they have 1/3 the stock.

*frowny face*

Aug 17, 2009, 23:49

lique
lique
517 posts

Re:

it's the dawning of the age aquarius.

Aug 18, 2009, 03:31

vista7@hotmail.com
337 posts

Re:

yah, my point excactly; there's still one store in ATL that's pretty much unscathed; FantasyLand; they specialize in vinyl and collectibles; still a great store.

Aug 18, 2009, 05:05

mirtchevman
mirtchevman
1725 posts

Re:

mellotron wrote:
Hopefully Amoeba Records (L.A., San Francisco, and Berkeley) haven't suffered this fate.

i can speak for san francisco -- we're stil hangin in there. rasputin records isn't going down w/out a fight either -- they took the angle of promoting local artists to try to bring people in. i dunno how well that's actually working but i think it's a great way to go out...

Aug 18, 2009, 16:59