Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Martin, Doom! It's Seven O'Clock...
61 messages
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Boppawombat Returns
35 posts

Re: Martin, Doom! It's Seven O'Clock...

GaryB wrote:
wracket wrote:
The only album I own (I think...a lot of my stuff is in storage at my parents', so sometimes I lose track of my collection) of theirs is Wake Up, and I remember liking it quite a bit. Maybe I should dive deeper into their output...

You can go either way. I prefer the later stuff (C'Mon Kids especially), but most people like the earlier stuff better. The fairly recent 2CD Best Of (Find The Way Out) might be a good place to go.

I'm so glad that this thread has veered into a Boo Radleys appreciation thread. I could go on forever extolling the virtues of this lot, cos they were simply one of my fave bands of the 90s - ever. I loved them from 1992's Creation Records debut "Everything's Alright Forever" right to their sad untimely demise after "Kingsize". I got into them because they were co-headlining with Pale Saints at the time - another great shoegazey band of post-MBV vintage.

The Boos were very eclectic and diverse in their styles. Very few bands could touch them at the time for sheer inventiveness and magpie charm. Their music incorporated so many wildly differing / contrasting influences: Arthur Lee's Love, the Beatles, MBV, Dinosaur Jr, New Order, Sixties beatpop / Merseybeat, Stax, Motown, Simon and Garfunkel, Dylan, The Who, Chili Peppers, Metal, Industrial, Electronic, Folk, Psychedelic, 60s garage, Dance...... you name it, they incorporated elements of it into their audacious albums such as Giant Steps and C'mon Kids in particular. You really couldn't put them in any pigeonhole and that's why I loved them so much.

Aug 28, 2009, 01:01

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic Outline: