Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Jesus
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Labhead
Labhead
1868 posts

Re: Jesus

Labhead wrote:
lereostab wrote:
What are you all talking about? Not one of you has come from the perspective of faith, you talk about science as if the scientific process is faultless,"big bang, evolution" and the like are all just theories none of them are 100% correct and any true scientist will gladly concede this point.
As Jesus is being discussed, how about looking into some of the things he said and maybe trying them out, i.e. "Ask and you will receive, seek and you will find" if you are really looking for the answers to life, death, and more then how about looking with a sincere heart and exercising just a small amount of faith and asking God to show you the truth about Jesus. Please stop mocking what you don't understand yet,kind regards to you all, Lereostab.

You know, gravity is "just a theory" as well. Seriously. :)

I tend to believe things that can be proven much more than something that has to be "just believed" with a thousand variations that nobody can agree on, based on super-old faulty human information.

I went to church as a youngster and I tried looking for god and praying... I never felt or saw a god-damned thing in all my years. I finally realized it was useless for me.

The great thing about science is, it works even if you don't believe in it!!!

Sep 18, 2009, 17:16

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5939 posts

Labhead wrote:

Science is what we perceive about the universe. It's our study of it, it's not the world itself. Our perception and understanding is always growing and changing, and I'm ok with that.

Sep 18, 2009, 18:03

Labhead
Labhead
1868 posts

This is pretty funny...

There's so much nonsense in the bible that most people don't think about.

Sep 18, 2009, 18:09

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

xperceptor wrote:
[quote="lique"]

Whether he was actually the son of God remains in skepticism, but his presence was documented in the Bible.

Son of God was a common phrase at the time, meaning "holy man," or "one who is close to God." So, to say that Jesus was the son of God in Biblical times did not mean what the church has made it to mean.

Sep 18, 2009, 19:19

jauntymonty
jauntymonty
1623 posts

cyberpainter wrote:
Labhead wrote:

Science is what we perceive about the universe. It's our study of it, it's not the world itself. Our perception and understanding is always growing and changing, and I'm ok with that.

Science is based upon first hand observations of what can be observed, recorded or measured. Scientists make reasonable assumptions based upon that observed recorded measured information. This information even when derived hundreds of years ago can still be verified by scientists. On the other hand regarding the existence of God and Heaven we rely soley on faith in the writings of the Bible and the witness of religious leaders. It cannot be observed, recorded or measured right now in the first hand.
We can see the universe. We can go there and touch it. We are there.

Sep 18, 2009, 19:25

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

Labhead wrote:

Also, keep in mind that the bible wasn't written during that time. It was written mostly by different people at least a generation or two after it allegedly happened. Why are people so trusting in what other people wrote so many years ago when so little was known... they probably weren't even aware that the plants made them hallucinate, much less knowing that they could have been going insane from mercury or other poisoning as well.

Regardless, the bible isn't completely worthless, there's some good life lessons to be learned in it, but other parts of it are complete rubbish as well.

To put it in chronological perspective, Paul writing letters to the church about about Jesus would be like us writing an essay about Jack Kerouac. None of us knew Kerouac, but we know what he said and did.

That hallucinogen theory is stupid. I highly doubt that people were so stupid as to eat a plant and say "Whoah, look at Jesus, he's raising that guy from the dead." However, it is true that the mind of the ancient man was more receptive to the power of myth and symbolism. However, because of this, man was able to do more miraculous things, because he was directly connected with the life force of creation without being critical of it, the way a plant absorbs sunlight without having to decide to do it, or an animal in nature knows exactly how to behave and what to do in order to survive without being instructed to do it. Things could be true to the ancients without being proved by science. This is the crux of the issue: modern man is unable to fully enter into his own experience. He is constantly objectifying, studying, and classifying because of the curse of Aristotle.

Sep 18, 2009, 19:30

vega
vega
492 posts

Sep 18, 2009, 19:37

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

lereostab wrote:

What are you all talking about? Not one of you has come from the perspective of faith, you talk about science as if the scientific process is faultless,"big bang, evolution" and the like are all just theories none of them are 100% correct and any true scientist will gladly concede this point.
As Jesus is being discussed, how about looking into some of the things he said and maybe trying them out, i.e. "Ask and you will receive, seek and you will find" if you are really looking for the answers to life, death, and more then how about looking with a sincere heart and exercising just a small amount of faith and asking God to show you the truth about Jesus. Please stop mocking what you don't understand yet,kind regards to you all, Lereostab.

This is always an interesting debate, which goes nowhere, the reason being that those people on either sides of the debate have differing ways of approaching the universe.

People who replace God with science refuse to see that certain things accepted as "facts" a few hundred years ago have been replaced with new facts. They also refuse to accept that some things could be true without being objectively proven. The reason for this is they are always looking outside of themselves instead of looking for universe within themselves.

Sep 18, 2009, 19:37

whisperscream
whisperscream
174 posts

When you take the blame for something that a friend did because you would rather feel the pain of the retribution than to see your friend hurt, that was the example that Jesus set. Science cannot replicate that.

Sep 18, 2009, 19:50

Mars Rover
Mars Rover
1337 posts

Left Boob Oscillator wrote:
lereostab wrote:

This is always an interesting debate, which goes nowhere, the reason being that those people on either sides of the debate have differing ways of approaching the universe.

People who replace God with science refuse to see that certain things accepted as "facts" a few hundred years ago have been replaced with new facts. They also refuse to accept that some things could be true without being objectively proven. The reason for this is they are always looking outside of themselves instead of looking for universe within themselves.

Your first paragraph is absolutely accurate, your second is using a very broad brush. i am a person without religion. i accept that science has changed over time and will continue to teach us new things. i believe there are universes within ourselves, but that they are creations of the highly evolved human imagination.

Sep 18, 2009, 19:57

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index