Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Dots and Loops is the best.
Pages: 6 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

Dots and Loops is the best.

Except for Refractions in the Plastic Pulse, which should have been released separately IMO because it's the weakest track and doesn't belong.

Oct 20, 2008, 18:01

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Stereo Mouse
Stereo Mouse
635 posts

Re: Dots and Loops is the best.

Refractions is the best song.

Oct 20, 2008, 18:13

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

DOTS AND LOOPS is one of the best.
REFRACTIONS would be the best if it wasn't for the "fast" section.
This record is the most nocturnal and sensual one they have done. I will always remember, and totally agree with, PHARREL (NEPTUNES/N.E.R.D.) WILLIAM's declaration that THIS FLOWER CALLED NOWHERE (what a beautiful title for a song!) is one of the beat pieces of music to make love too.
To that I would also add the first part of REFRACTIONS.
So many nice tracks and a terrific start with 3 formidable ones. Don't you guys think that MISS MODULAR is much more beautiful played slow (like in the album) versus fast (when performed live)?

Oct 20, 2008, 18:43

DevastatorJr.
DevastatorJr.
961 posts

I can't really be objective about this album because I listened to it so much that I really can't anymore from beginning to end, it just becomes background music for me. But there are just so many great songs on there... Diagnols, Tickertape, Refractions.

But I tend to like the albums that are more jarring and unpredictable - Emperor, Transient, Aluminum. I LIKE the discontinuity of those, it makes them more listenable in the long term.

Oct 20, 2008, 18:55

Stereo Mouse
Stereo Mouse
635 posts

DevastatorJr. wrote:
But I tend to like the albums that are more jarring and unpredictable - Emperor, Transient, Aluminum. I LIKE the discontinuity of those, it makes them more listenable in the long term.

I agree. Great album choices too.

Oct 20, 2008, 18:56

Archigram
Archigram
375 posts

Left Boob Oscillator wrote:

Except for Refractions in the Plastic Pulse, which should have been released separately IMO because it's the weakest track and doesn't belong.

Haha, such controversy. Really, Refractions is THE best thing on that album. Let's be honest here.

Oct 20, 2008, 19:50

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

I'm not being contoversial, I'm being honest. I always feel like skipping that track.

Oct 20, 2008, 20:05

waxenpith
waxenpith
1529 posts

velvetwater wrote:
This record is the most nocturnal and sensual one they have done.

I dont mean to play devils advocate but D&L has always ment sunny spring days and flowers blooming to me. I have never felt it to be nocturnal at all. sensual yes, but in a fresh spring love way.

I love how in fractions about half way it goes all mod-reggae-dub for a spell, then those strings come out of nowhere. So many moods in one song. Its similar to what i like to call the 'baroque hoe-down' of easychord which dips down into that 'sleezy francis lai synthy' bit. I just love those proggy switches of direction. Same reason With Friends Like These is my fave song.

Oct 20, 2008, 20:17

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

Refractions is out of place on that album. The other songs are so cohesive, and here we have this meandering hodge-podge of multiple songs that has been scrapped together as one.

I think the album is most suitable for listening on a cold morning with a hot drink.

Oct 20, 2008, 20:26

k.
k.
407 posts

Refractions is epic. I love each part of it. It was cool that they performed it on the DOTS tour, but it'll probably never get the live treatment again, unfortunately.

But I beg to differ. The Flower Called Nowhere is the best thing on the album!

Oct 20, 2008, 20:38

Pages: 6 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index