Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Stop begging for copies of the Broadcast EP
Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

mirtchevman
mirtchevman
1725 posts

Re: Stop begging for copies of the Broadcast EP

i'm curious what thom york & co's thoughts are on the current state of music production -- they seem to prefer tossing one-offs into the digital ether over cutting a solid record these days...

i know that towards the end, laetitia never failed to mention in interviews how file-sharing is making it hard for bands like stereolab (ie broadcast) to survive...

Sep 24, 2009, 18:52

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Cheeso
Cheeso
642 posts

Mu Mu wrote:
I don't believe I'm ripping them off if I actually buy the hard copy. Buying mo3's is a rip off, and I believe you're a sucker to do it. Try to resell them.

They are not forcing you to but the mp3's, therefore, they are not a ripoff. If you want to buy them, you can (and should).

Sep 24, 2009, 19:59

Labhead
Labhead
1868 posts

Jasonspaceman wrote:
Buying downloads is the equivalent to buying air. There is no physical product. It doesn't make sense to 'buy' a download, and the quality of the sound, please don't get me started.

I only do it when it's not released any other way, like a Miss Kittin & The Hacker I saw. There was a record option, but I don't have a player yet.

Sep 24, 2009, 20:22

seveninches
seveninches
95 posts

Mu Mu wrote:
I don't believe I'm ripping them off if I actually buy the hard copy. Buying mo3's is a rip off, and I believe you're a sucker to do it. Try to resell them.

Can you resell being at a Broadcast concert?

I don't think it's ripping the band off if you already bought the hard copy, but you're asking for something in advance, which is otherwise only available to those willing to pay for an early listen.

This is the kind of fan bands literally can't afford to have...

Sep 24, 2009, 21:30

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

this is all very humorous to me. I think I will buy a copy and give it to all of you as a Christmas present! yes, that's a great idea. I think we should all start doing that and destroy the whole stinky music industry.

Sep 24, 2009, 21:36

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

It will be a groundbreaking lawsuit. I think we should form an online coalition and bring integrity back to music.

Sep 24, 2009, 21:38

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

seveninches wrote:
Mu Mu wrote:

Can you resell being at a Broadcast concert?

I don't think it's ripping the band off if you already bought the hard copy, but you're asking for something in advance, which is otherwise only available to those willing to pay for an early listen.

This is the kind of fan bands literally can't afford to have...

There is no such thing as a "Used Broadcast Concert" store, so your analogy is fake.

However, there are used record stores.

Releasing a sound file and charging money prior to the release of the record is an attempt to play on the weak wills of fans. It's also not ethical.

It's circumventing the release date, which used to be sacred, and now means nothing.

Sep 24, 2009, 21:42

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

we could call it Free music. meaning free it. hand it back to the artists and take it out of the hands of thieves

Sep 24, 2009, 21:43

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

Maybe Broadcast could start a new trend of charging people to listen to a stream of the album that they can't download to their computers. That would be something you can't sell back. It would be a genuine experience.

Sep 24, 2009, 21:45

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

then, if everything goes according to my plan, a musician would only be paid for playing a live show.

Sep 24, 2009, 21:49

Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index