Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Stop begging for copies of the Broadcast EP
Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

Re: Stop begging for copies of the Broadcast EP

Squirrel M. Nutter wrote:
Left Boob Oscillator wrote:
Cheeso wrote:
Cheeso wrote:
Mu Mu wrote:
Cheeso wrote:

The mp3 release is an official release, if you've obtained it without paying for it, that is theft, stealing, ripping off Martin and Broadcast.

You're being a hypocrite, you have traded before, I'm quite sure.

I have no problem admitting it, either. Unlike other people here. And I've never ripped off Martin, Stereolab, or Broadcast. People who I've met and respect and admire.

So it's okay to "rip off" people you don't know personally. You sound like the Republican party.

I guess no one here has ever recorded a record on a cassette tape, or made a CD-R of a CD, and then given it to someone.

Theft is theft. Accept this and move on.

Okay, thief.

What would Jesus do, would he steal, too?

No, no he wouldn't.

Oh, and he would look at you and say "Let him who has never downloaded from the Internet without paying cast the first stone."

All you need to say is, "Jesus wouldn't steal."

Jesus defended David for stealing bread from the temple. Jesus picked wheat on the Sabbath, which was against the law. Jesus forgave sins when the church considered it blasphemy. Again, your argument is lame.

You're comparing your theft of mp3s to David stealing bread from the temple?

hahahahaha

No, I'm pointing out that Jesus broke the law and defended those who dit. Stop pretending to be so dense.

Sep 25, 2009, 19:09

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

Cheeso wrote:
Cheeso wrote:
Mu Mu wrote:
Cheeso wrote:

The mp3 release is an official release, if you've obtained it without paying for it, that is theft, stealing, ripping off Martin and Broadcast.

You're being a hypocrite, you have traded before, I'm quite sure.

I have no problem admitting it, either. Unlike other people here. And I've never ripped off Martin, Stereolab, or Broadcast. People who I've met and respect and admire.

So it's okay to "rip off" people you don't know personally. You sound like the Republican party.

I guess no one here has ever recorded a record on a cassette tape, or made a CD-R of a CD, and then given it to someone.

Theft is theft. Accept this and move on.

Okay, thief.

What would Jesus do, would he steal, too?

No, no he wouldn't.

Oh, and he would look at you and say "Let him who has never downloaded from the Internet without paying cast the first stone."

All you need to say is, "Jesus wouldn't steal."

Jesus defended David for stealing bread from the temple. Jesus picked wheat on the Sabbath, which was against the law. Jesus forgave sins when the church considered it blasphemy. Again, your argument is lame.

You're comparing your theft of mp3s to David stealing bread from the temple?

hahahahaha

No, I'm pointing out that Jesus broke the law and defended those who dit. Stop pretending to be so dense.

those who did (typo)

Sep 25, 2009, 19:09

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5928 posts

k. wrote:
addressing the guilt of Broadcast and the rest of artists who are engaging in this pre-release practice. You do know that all this is is an attempt to cash in with an inferior product (yes, it is air without the balloon) while preserving the promo system, except that the promo system was not broken, and the music world failed to recognize these leaks as promotional tools: they wanted in. So they're selling an inferior product in advance of the main release. Perhaps you're just trying to justify to yourself why you needed to pay more?

Cash in with an inferior product? I still say it's not inferior if it's cd quality, do you deny that they were selling cd quality? And if they think leaks harm their sales why shouldn't they try to sell now, what they will most definitely sell later, mp3's? I don't get your argument. They're not a mainstream major label act. Trying to find innovative solutions to the free download issue is legit. "Cash in" seems harsh when the artist deserves to get paid if they can. I never said by the way, that I don't download stuff.

Sep 25, 2009, 19:11

Labhead
Labhead
1868 posts

cyberpainter wrote:
Cash in with an inferior product? I still say it's not inferior if it's cd quality, do you deny that they were selling cd quality?

I don't want to stick up for K., but I'll tell you, an MP3 is never as good as CD quality, it's compressed and lossy. However, half the people out there probably can't tell the difference, and I'm sure they'll be perfectly happy, especially if they don't know how to make their own MP3 files.

I only consider downloading MP3s as theft if you don't get it through official channels AND if it keeps you from purchasing it in any of the legal formats. If you are going to buy it anyway, or have it in another format already, then it shouldn't be considered theft.

Sep 25, 2009, 19:16

Squirrel M. Nutter
890 posts

There is a section on the Green Screen called The Black Market, where people download copyrighted material ALL the time, such as for example, McCarthy--Tim Gane's band, no less. I don't see you all up in arms about that. You know why? You are a hypocrite.

That's been established. But it sounds like you're still trying to justify obtaining the download illegally. If you want it, pay for it. Why is that so hard to understand?

Sep 25, 2009, 19:20

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

k. wrote:
cyberpainter wrote:
Just download it from the blogs, enjoy it, and then buy the album at the show or when it's available.

That's what I fully intend to do. In Cheeso's world, that's theft.

The intangible statement is also ridiculous. Do these people also sneak into movies? Do they hijack someone else's sattelite TV signal, or their internet service? Do they sneak into gigs?

And all that is a ridiculous conclusion to make. You've spent this whole thread chastising individuals for their perception and actions on a matter which is predominantly grey, but you have spent no time addressing the guilt of Broadcast and the rest of artists who are engaging in this pre-release practice. You do know that all this is is an attempt to cash in with an inferior product (yes, it is air without the balloon) while preserving the promo system, except that the promo system was not broken, and the music world failed to recognize these leaks as promotional tools: they wanted in. So they're selling an inferior product in advance of the main release. Perhaps you're just trying to justify to yourself why you needed to pay more?

k., he's not trying to justify himself. He's just upset that we are smarter and better looking than he is.

Sep 25, 2009, 19:20

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

There is a section on the Green Screen called The Black Market, where people download copyrighted material ALL the time, such as for example, McCarthy--Tim Gane's band, no less. I don't see you all up in arms about that. You know why? You are a hypocrite.

That's been established. But it sounds like you're still trying to justify obtaining the download illegally. If you want it, pay for it. Why is that so hard to understand?

I'm not attempting to justify anything. I'm pointing out that it's unethical for Broadcast to tempt us into buying both the inferior mp3 and the official product. If they really wanted to do us a favor by releasing the mp3 early, they could have rewarded those who preordered the album with a free download, and made it available to purchase for those who only want the mp3.

Sep 25, 2009, 19:24

Squirrel M. Nutter
890 posts

I'm not attempting to justify anything. I'm pointing out that it's unethical for Broadcast to tempt us into buying both the inferior mp3 and the official product. If they really wanted to do us a favor by releasing the mp3 early, they could have rewarded those who preordered the album with a free download, and made it available to purchase for those who only want the mp3.

They are not unethical. No one is required to make a free download available. If you think it is an inferior product, then wait for the hard copy release.

Can you admit that if you obtain the download without paying it is theft? It's a simple "yes or no" question.

Sep 25, 2009, 19:31

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

They are not unethical. No one is required to make a free download available. If you think it is an inferior product, then wait for the hard copy release.

Can you admit that if you obtain the download without paying it is theft? It's a simple "yes or no" question.

I'd say it's unethical. Other bands have set a precedent for making the mp3 available to those who preorder. Their choice not to do so is an obvious money grab. It's greedy.

Sep 25, 2009, 19:37

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

Cheeso, I'd like you to admit you are a hypocrite and a bully, and apologize to me, k., JS, and whoever else you have intentionally flamed for no reason.

Sep 25, 2009, 19:42

Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index