Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Stop begging for copies of the Broadcast EP
Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

Re: Stop begging for copies of the Broadcast EP

s_lush_s wrote:
then, if everything goes according to my plan, a musician would only be paid for playing a live show.

That's the way it was before sound recordings ruined everything.

Sep 24, 2009, 21:50

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

I know, i am a gashloppis.

Sep 24, 2009, 21:51

Mu Mu
Mu Mu
2778 posts

[quote="seveninches"]
This is the kind of fan bands literally can't afford to have...{/quote]

That's a joke. Broadcast doesn't want me as a fan because I believe mp3's are not worth money? I'm still going to purchase the hard copy, I'm sure they'll be happy about that and consider me one of their most treasured fans.

Sep 24, 2009, 21:53

k.
k.
407 posts

Left Boob Oscillator wrote:
seveninches wrote:
This is the kind of fan bands literally can't afford to have...

There is no such thing as a "Used Broadcast Concert" store, so your analogy is fake.

However, there are used record stores.

Releasing a sound file and charging money prior to the release of the record is an attempt to play on the weak wills of fans. It's also not ethical.

It's circumventing the release date, which used to be sacred, and now means nothing.

Yeah, this idea that we should pay twice for something is totally unethical. The Broadcast/Stereolab fan is going to spend the money on these artists in support of them, unlike fans of many other artists. So why does a digital release need to be sent out two months in advance? Is it a counter-leak offensive? And if so, why do labels even bother sending out promos anymore? They don't quite accomplish what they once did in terms of promoting a new release, and they're just going to be uploaded to the net anyways, which the labels and artists don't seem to recognize as a worthwhile promotional tactic (I try before I buy now.)

Sep 24, 2009, 21:57

meanchico
meanchico
2696 posts

For a mere 8 bucks we can hear and own these great tracks a month before it's officially released. I feel more privilaged than ripped off honestly.

Every red cent I spend on the artists I love is completely worth it.

This ethical argument crap is bullshit. The distribution of music has been questionable for years now. It's nothing new. Every reaction and opinion in regards to it is old and tired. Go Broadcast for beating the file-sharing assholes to the punch.

Sep 24, 2009, 22:04

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

As I said before, if they really wanted to do something nice for us, they could have provided a free download for those who preorder.

Sep 24, 2009, 22:07

k.
k.
407 posts

meanchico wrote:
For a mere 8 bucks we can hear and own these great tracks a month before it's officially released. I feel more privilaged than ripped off honestly.

Every red cent I spend on the artists I love is completely worth it.

This ethical argument crap is bullshit. The distribution of music has been questionable for years now. It's nothing new. Every reaction and opinion in regards to it is old and tired. Go Broadcast for beating the file-sharing assholes to the punch.

Paying twice for the same thing is bullshit, unless you enjoy being really bad with your money in these hard times, or just some trust-fund bitch without a clue. Yeah, I like spending money on these people I like, no doubt, but come on, this is some bizarre way of treating fans. Why not get a discount on the purchase of the hard-copy CD/LP if you have purchased the digital advance copy? I mean, we're all caught in the capitalistic web, but scratch our backs a little.

Sep 24, 2009, 22:09

k.
k.
407 posts

Left Boob Oscillator wrote:
As I said before, if they really wanted to do something nice for us, they could have provided a free download for those who preorder.

This.

Sep 24, 2009, 22:11

meanchico
meanchico
2696 posts

I'm not rich by any means, but neither are the members of Broadcast. This is why it just doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Supporting my favorite bands doesn't seem wasteful in the least. I feel like I'm investing in them, much like my retirement fund, savings for down payment on a house, etc. It's all entirely worth it.

Sep 24, 2009, 22:17

k.
k.
407 posts

And dude, I totally respect that line of thinking, in investing in what you like. I operate under a convoluted jack-assed system of supporting my local indie record stores for the same reason, even when it's more work and more money for me to do so than it would be to just download or order over the net.

Sep 24, 2009, 22:21

Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index