Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Log In
-Register
Stop begging for copies of the Broadcast EP
Log In to post a reply
Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

GaryB
GaryB
1554 posts

Re: Stop begging for copies of the Broadcast EP

Although illegal, I would say it's acceptable to DL the thing IF you are going to buy the CD or LP at a later date. Shame on anybody who has a 10,000 LP mp3 collection that they never paid for (I know people like this!!!).

I spend about 200 a month on music (mainly new, some used) so I am not going to feel too guilty about doing DL'ing the odd album.

Basil had some interesting facts about record company sales figures and income a wee while ago. Basically, 2008 was a mega-grossing year for them and that it's a bit of a myth that illegal DLing and file sharing is killing music.

Laetitia seems to think that though??!!

Would be good to hear Martin's view on this issue.

Sep 24, 2009, 23:37


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Squirrel M. Nutter
890 posts

Re: Stop begging for copies of the Broadcast EP

GaryB wrote:


Would be good to hear Martin's view on this issue.


I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm sure Martin would prefer for people to buy the download if they want it.

Sep 24, 2009, 23:40


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

GaryB
GaryB
1554 posts

Re: Stop begging for copies of the Broadcast EP

Squirrel M. Nutter wrote:
GaryB wrote:


Would be good to hear Martin's view on this issue.


I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm sure Martin would prefer for people to buy the download if they want it.



Haha, of course. I meant his view on illegal downloading killing music/reducing bands' incomes versus more people hearing the music (for free) and then attending gigs/buying merch'.

Sep 24, 2009, 23:47


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

Re: Stop begging for copies of the Broadcast EP

yes, and look (or listen) to all the influential and significant musicians and composers that those eras produce as opposed to the CRAP that is sold these days.

Sep 24, 2009, 23:57


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

Re: Stop begging for copies of the Broadcast EP

I *heart* Good Records

Sep 24, 2009, 23:59


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

Re: Stop begging for copies of the Broadcast EP

yes they are! if you buy the vinyl you should get the mp3. Broadcast is in bed with itunes!! My family sent me a promotional anti-AIDS ipod and BROADCAST was one of the PRESELECTED bands on the song selection.

Sep 25, 2009, 00:03


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

k.
k.
407 posts

Re: Stop begging for copies of the Broadcast EP

Squirrel M. Nutter wrote:
k. wrote:


Paying twice for the same thing is bullshit


No one is forcing you to pay twice, though.

No one forces labels to release promos, but they do. Nobody forces uploaders to leak promos, but they do. Nobody forces downloaders to download leaks, but they do. Nobody is forcing the label to do this anti-leak advance mp3-purchase thing, but they do. Nobody is forced to wait two months to listen to the album on its actual hard-copy release date, but they might. I likely will not, but I won't pay for it either. So you're right, nobody is forcing me to pay twice.

Sep 25, 2009, 00:10


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

k.
k.
407 posts

Re: Stop begging for copies of the Broadcast EP

GaryB wrote:
Although illegal, I would say it's acceptable to DL the thing IF you are going to buy the CD or LP at a later date. Shame on anybody who has a 10,000 LP mp3 collection that they never paid for (I know people like this!!!).

I spend about 200 a month on music (mainly new, some used) so I am not going to feel too guilty about doing DL'ing the odd album.

Basil had some interesting facts about record company sales figures and income a wee while ago. Basically, 2008 was a mega-grossing year for them and that it's a bit of a myth that illegal DLing and file sharing is killing music.
...


Well, you're right, and I'm a traditionalist like you with an unhealthy percentage of my budget going towards music purchases, who has gone the route of trying-before-buying because I do end up buying (and because that usually means making a special order for it, since distribution to indie record stores has suffered in recent years, the stock no longer as diverse, plentiful or readily available). So we've been told all these things about music purchases, the industry needed to go digital, death of the CD, resurgence of the vinyl record, Radiohead doing away with albums in favor of single-song releases on iTunes, yadayadayada... It's really kindof a crappy ploy to do this digital release date in advance of the hard-copy release date (and labels like Darla have taken to it as well), if you're going to distribute promos to reviewers, stores, stations, etc. On the one hand it's still going to get out there sans-coute, so who cares about buying the release in lower-quality format; but on the other hand if the preferred method of delivery that labels want to turn to is digital, the "loss" is that of the patient do-gooders who actually want to pay for a physical product. In fighting the demon, they're murdering the angel.

Sep 25, 2009, 00:29


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Squirrel M. Nutter
890 posts

Re: Stop begging for copies of the Broadcast EP

k. wrote:
Squirrel M. Nutter wrote:
k. wrote:


Paying twice for the same thing is bullshit


No one is forcing you to pay twice, though.

No one forces labels to release promos, but they do. Nobody forces uploaders to leak promos, but they do. Nobody forces downloaders to download leaks, but they do. Nobody is forcing the label to do this anti-leak advance mp3-purchase thing, but they do. Nobody is forced to wait two months to listen to the album on its actual hard-copy release date, but they might. I likely will not, but I won't pay for it either. So you're right, nobody is forcing me to pay twice.



That's a very convoluted way of justifying your ripping off of Martin and Broadcast.

Sep 25, 2009, 01:09


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

k.
k.
407 posts

Re: Stop begging for copies of the Broadcast EP

I'm not ripping anybody off. I am purchasing a hard-copy when it's released. Until then I'll sample it. Are you dense or something?

Sep 25, 2009, 02:44

Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index