Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Log In
-Register
Roman Polanski arrested in Switzerland
Log In to post a reply
Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

Re: Check Out the Court Transcript

I seem to remember an interview where Laetitia Sadier said that she had been thinking about Nazi violence and what would make a person do horrible things, and that she finally "sussed it."

Did anyone read that? I think it was in the 90's.

Anyway, it touched a chord with me because I had spent a long time thinking about not only the holocaust but the Manson Family, in an attempt to discern the nature of evil in humanity. I had the idea that if we could understand what makes a person do evil things, we could save that person from evil.

I came at this from the perspective of a victim. I have had some bad things (not too bad) happen to me in my life, which I won't go into here.

So, with the concept of hell and eternal punishment being totally invented by man, and not having a true biblical source, and with Christ's message being forgiveness, why is that when something like Polanksi comes up the first reaction of the masses is "throw him in jail! Let him rot!"

No concern for rehabilitation. No concern for the fact that he is not a danger to society, that he has a wife, family, etc. No concern for his VICTIM, who has requested that the madness stop and the case be dropped.

And I think I've figured it out. It's because we are all one step away from being horrible criminals ourselves (whatever those crimes might be), and we lash out at scapegoats and throw them in prisons in order to feel good about ourselves.

Oct 01, 2009, 17:55


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

Re: Roman Polanski arrested in Switzerland

cyberpainter wrote:
I had a nightmare last night because of this thread. :(


Sorry! Care to share it?

Oct 01, 2009, 17:56


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5928 posts

Re: Check Out the Court Transcript

Left Boob Oscillator wrote:


And I think I've figured it out. It's because we are all one step away from being horrible criminals ourselves (whatever those crimes might be), and we lash out at scapegoats and throw them in prisons in order to feel good about ourselves.
Well, well, what a convenient argument to put other people who have the opposing viewpoint into the evil camp. I disagree, and think it has more to do with people having a strong sense of what they think of as "justice", and also a strong repulsion for rape of a girl.

Oct 01, 2009, 18:33


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

Re: Check Out the Court Transcript

cyberpainter wrote:
Left Boob Oscillator wrote:


And I think I've figured it out. It's because we are all one step away from being horrible criminals ourselves (whatever those crimes might be), and we lash out at scapegoats and throw them in prisons in order to feel good about ourselves.
Well, well, what a convenient argument to put other people who have the opposing viewpoint into the evil camp. I disagree, and think it has more to do with people having a strong sense of what they think of as "justice", and also a strong repulsion for rape of a girl.



I think it's more a perverse bloodlust than a sense of justice. The mob needs a good lynching in order to forget its own sense of worthlessness.

Oct 01, 2009, 18:51


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

Re: Check Out the Court Transcript

cyberpainter wrote:
Left Boob Oscillator wrote:


And I think I've figured it out. It's because we are all one step away from being horrible criminals ourselves (whatever those crimes might be), and we lash out at scapegoats and throw them in prisons in order to feel good about ourselves.
Well, well, what a convenient argument to put other people who have the opposing viewpoint into the evil camp. I disagree, and think it has more to do with people having a strong sense of what they think of as "justice", and also a strong repulsion for rape of a girl.



Also, I wasn't just placing any "opposing viewpoint" in that camp.

I said that we are ALL one step from being horrible criminals.

I can understand if you don't want to admit you are capable of anything.

Oct 01, 2009, 19:24


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Martian
Martian
328 posts

Re: Check Out the Court Transcript

Get it? Repulsion?

Oct 01, 2009, 21:14


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Martian
Martian
328 posts

Re: Roman Polanski arrested in Switzerland

Were you poppin' ludes and drinking champagne with Polanski in the hot tub?

Cybele

Oct 01, 2009, 21:14


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Cheeso
Cheeso
642 posts

Re: Check Out the Court Transcript

Left Boob Oscillator wrote:
No concern for his VICTIM, who has requested that the madness stop and the case be dropped.



The guy who wrote "Free Roman Polanski" is concerned about the victim? haha please...

Also, she didnt bring the charges against him, the State did. They haven't forgiven him. And she only wants it go away so she could put it behind her, not because she thinks its ok that she was raped.


Left Boob Oscillator wrote:

And I think I've figured it out. It's because we are all one step away from being horrible criminals ourselves (whatever those crimes might be), and we lash out at scapegoats and throw them in prisons in order to feel good about ourselves.


Ah, the good old logical fallacy, poisoning the well. If you want Polanski jailed, you are bloodthirsty or a step away from being a horrible criminal yourself...wow...

He raped a 13 year old girl, he admitted it and plead guilty to it, he fled the country to avoid jail time. Those are facts. He broke the law, and the law prescribes the punishment for that. It's purely a matter of facts and laws. Put Polanski in prison because he broke the law. He is not a "scapegoat" for anyone or anything.

And as for being "one step away from being a horrible criminal," speak for yourself. That idea is ridiculous.

Oct 02, 2009, 03:56


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

Re: Check Out the Court Transcript

Cheeso wrote:
Left Boob Oscillator wrote:
No concern for his VICTIM, who has requested that the madness stop and the case be dropped.



The guy who wrote "Free Roman Polanski" is concerned about the victim? haha please...

Also, she didnt bring the charges against him, the State did. They haven't forgiven him. And she only wants it go away so she could put it behind her, not because she thinks its ok that she was raped.


Left Boob Oscillator wrote:

And I think I've figured it out. It's because we are all one step away from being horrible criminals ourselves (whatever those crimes might be), and we lash out at scapegoats and throw them in prisons in order to feel good about ourselves.


Ah, the good old logical fallacy, poisoning the well. If you want Polanski jailed, you are bloodthirsty or a step away from being a horrible criminal yourself...wow...

He raped a 13 year old girl, he admitted it and plead guilty to it, he fled the country to avoid jail time. Those are facts. He broke the law, and the law prescribes the punishment for that. It's purely a matter of facts and laws. Put Polanski in prison because he broke the law. He is not a "scapegoat" for anyone or anything.

And as for being "one step away from being a horrible criminal," speak for yourself. That idea is ridiculous.


Who wrote "free Roman Polanski"?

Also, I would never expect you yourself to admit that you are anything less than perfect. However, anyone with a rational mind and the power of observation can see what a callous, asinine bully you are.

Oct 02, 2009, 04:17


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

Re: Roman Polanski arrested in Switzerland

Let me ask an honest question, though.

You people are calling out for "justice" to be served. How is justice served by further ruining the victim's life, whose wish it is to see the case dropped? How is justice served by breaking up Polanski's family and putting him in prison for the rest of his life? Especially when he is rehabilitated and is not a threat to society?

Do you really worship Law as your god? So much that you would be willing to cause suffering to see it served?

Oct 02, 2009, 04:23

Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index