Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Log In
-Register
Roman Polanski arrested in Switzerland
Log In to post a reply
Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5929 posts

Re: Roman Polanski arrested in Switzerland

lbo, it is, as usual, pointless to continue this with you. You get more carried away when cheeso is involved, and it's just getting tedious. I am insulted by what you wrote, because you were not just expressing your viewpoint, you were insulting those with the other viewpoint. I'm done.

Oct 02, 2009, 05:03


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Martian
Martian
328 posts

Re: Roman Polanski arrested in Switzerland

It isn't pointless because, when you are raped at 13, it has bad consequences later in life. Really bad consequences. Tends to lend itself to . . .I dunno. Spreads itself. Gotta nip it in the bud.

Way to stop that is execution. Might actually stop other evils. There is good and evil.

Cybele

Oct 02, 2009, 05:33


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Cheeso
Cheeso
642 posts

Re: Check Out the Court Transcript

Left Boob Oscillator wrote:
Cheeso wrote:
Left Boob Oscillator wrote:
No concern for his VICTIM, who has requested that the madness stop and the case be dropped.



The guy who wrote "Free Roman Polanski" is concerned about the victim? haha please...

Also, she didnt bring the charges against him, the State did. They haven't forgiven him. And she only wants it go away so she could put it behind her, not because she thinks its ok that she was raped.


Left Boob Oscillator wrote:

And I think I've figured it out. It's because we are all one step away from being horrible criminals ourselves (whatever those crimes might be), and we lash out at scapegoats and throw them in prisons in order to feel good about ourselves.


Ah, the good old logical fallacy, poisoning the well. If you want Polanski jailed, you are bloodthirsty or a step away from being a horrible criminal yourself...wow...

He raped a 13 year old girl, he admitted it and plead guilty to it, he fled the country to avoid jail time. Those are facts. He broke the law, and the law prescribes the punishment for that. It's purely a matter of facts and laws. Put Polanski in prison because he broke the law. He is not a "scapegoat" for anyone or anything.

And as for being "one step away from being a horrible criminal," speak for yourself. That idea is ridiculous.


Also, I would never expect you yourself to admit that you are anything less than perfect. However, anyone with a rational mind and the power of observation can see what a callous, asinine bully you are.

Non sequitur

Oct 02, 2009, 07:33


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

DevastatorJr.
DevastatorJr.
961 posts

Re: Roman Polanski arrested in Switzerland

I don't think it's so much about worshiping law as god, or identifying the source of "evil"(in my opinion, a naive and archaic notion to begin with,) as it is about what kind of behaviors we accept as a society, and what the consequences should be for breaking the rules.

I also don't think it matters that the 13-year-old girl was living a wild and dangerous life when the incident occurred, if anything, it serves as a good example why Polanski should be prosecuted, somebody said it earlier, these of behaviors spread, you know, like a meme.

I do agree with LBO on one score, I think the veneer of civilization is a lot thinner than we normally imagine, it takes layer upon layer of socialization to make us behave according to society's rules, and even then, it doesn't take much for any one of us or whole groups of people to slip.

One thing's for sure though, the veneration of celebrities in our society is pretty ridiculous, but I guess they're our modern day gods and pharohs.

Oct 02, 2009, 08:07


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

Re: Roman Polanski arrested in Switzerland

cyberpainter wrote:
lbo, it is, as usual, pointless to continue this with you. You get more carried away when cheeso is involved, and it's just getting tedious. I am insulted by what you wrote, because you were not just expressing your viewpoint, you were insulting those with the other viewpoint. I'm done.


How is it an insult to express my personal views on human nature? I think you are a bit too sensitive.

Oct 02, 2009, 15:01


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

moonduck
moonduck
312 posts

Re: Roman Polanski arrested in Switzerland

Ironically, the rights of the victim are not a central issue here. The victim is not pressing charges and to boot got a cash settlement out of Polanski. Agreed that the psychological damage done may not have been repaired by a sum of money, but it apparently provided justice in her mind regardless. Now someone has said that people cannot control their actions and cannot make rational decisions when under the influence of drugs. Hello! Polanski made a decision to take the drugs and he obviously had it in mind to drug the girl. You face prosecution when the drugs lead to a crime such as this. The issue is that he should be punished for the crime. It is that simple. Capital punishment is the only deterrent. How else do you stop crimes like this? How else do you prevent another child from being damaged like this? Whether intended by the prosecutor or not an example must be set right now while the media has the attention of the whole world!!

Oct 02, 2009, 15:11


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

whisperscream
whisperscream
174 posts

Re: Roman Polanski arrested in Switzerland

moonduck wrote:
Ironically, the rights of the victim are not a central issue here. The victim is not pressing charges and to boot got a cash settlement out of Polanski. Agreed that the psychological damage done may not have been repaired by a sum of money, but it apparently provided justice in her mind regardless. Now someone has said that people cannot control their actions and cannot make rational decisions when under the influence of drugs. Hello! Polanski made a decision to take the drugs and he obviously had it in mind to drug the girl. You face prosecution when the drugs lead to a crime such as this. The issue is that he should be punished for the crime. It is that simple. Capital punishment is the only deterrent. How else do you stop crimes like this? How else do you prevent another child from being damaged like this? Whether intended by the prosecutor or not an example must be set right now while the media has the attention of the whole world!!


I respectfully disagree when you say the rights of the victim are not a central issue here? It is all about the victim! It is why we have laws against rape. Abide by the laws that are established to protect us. Follow through with them to completion regardless of how many years it takes. Like you said, establish and reinforce the absolute deterrent.

Oct 02, 2009, 15:31


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

Re: Roman Polanski arrested in Switzerland

I don't know..there's something just too primitive about the whole notion of throwing people in prison. Eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth--the whole vengeful Jewish god thing.

You can't legislate morality. It has to be taught. When we throw people in a prison what we are doing is relegating the evil within ourselves to a subconscious place where we don't have to face it anymore. We can pretend the evil doesn't exist, or that those people don't exist, when "those people" are really your next door neighbor, or even you.

I think the whole notion of hell probably evolved from the concept of prison. In that way, people who vengefully call for those who made mistakes in life to "rot in jail" are no different than fundamentalist Christians who damn others to hell.

We should be a forgiving, loving, rehabilitating society.

Oct 02, 2009, 15:59


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Mu Mu
Mu Mu
2778 posts

Re: Roman Polanski arrested in Switzerland

Left Boob Oscillator wrote:

You can't legislate morality. It has to be taught. ...
We should be a forgiving, loving, rehabilitating society.


I don't think you can legislate OR teach morality, some people are going to go out and rape children no matter what you say. There is no rehabilitation. The most we can do is segregate these people from the general population where they don't have access to children who they can force themselves on.

Oct 02, 2009, 16:54


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

Re: Roman Polanski arrested in Switzerland

Mu Mu wrote:
Left Boob Oscillator wrote:

You can't legislate morality. It has to be taught. ...
We should be a forgiving, loving, rehabilitating society.


I don't think you can legislate OR teach morality, some people are going to go out and rape children no matter what you say. There is no rehabilitation. The most we can do is segregate these people from the general population where they don't have access to children who they can force themselves on.



What do you think morality is? Is it genetic?

Oct 02, 2009, 16:56

Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index