Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Cobra...is probably the best
29 messages
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Stereo Mouse
Stereo Mouse
635 posts

Re: Cobra...is probably the best

cyberpainter wrote:
i've always thought you did have a low tolerance for what you THINK is kitsch. ;)

I've been listening to both Cobra and Microbe lately. And I have to think that to some extent, the critics are right: Stereolab at the time sort of seemed to be less aware of what they were doing than during the halcyon days of, say ETK. That is especially apparent on "Outer Bongolia": earlier on they could perform 20 minute jams without sounding redundant, but "Bongolia", while not a bore-fest per se, sounds static. Same thing for 10 minutes, with little subtle variation. Also, earlier on they could make a convincing Esquivel homage without completely embarrassing themselves. And on Cobra they make something like "Caleidoscopic Gaze", which is cheezy to the extreme. I'm not saying Cobra or Microbe era was a failure, just less coherent than ETK, which is a MASTERPIECE in coherence and cohesion, I would define it like that.

Oct 25, 2008, 09:22

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic Outline: