Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Biden/Palin debate
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Labhead
Labhead
1868 posts

Re: Just So I Have This Straight. . .

I know what you're saying, but is any moderator going to really not have a bias either way?

I wish I could find it, but just yesterday I saw a posting on Reddit.com pointing out that the republicans have been having some good luck on moderators being on their side... it happened at least once or twice with Bush, and the next debate has Tom Brokaw who was McCain's NBC media liason.

http://www.reddit.com/search?q=Tom+Brokaw&x=0&y=0&t=week

Adam Reilly does a good job of putting together a timeline that shows everyone knew about Ifill's book back in July and August, but that no one on the Republican side cared until John McCain and Sarah Palin began to tank.
http://thephoenix.com/BLOGS/dontquoteme/archive/2008/10/01/contextualizing-the-ifill-flap.aspx

Oct 02, 2008, 16:57

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cybele
cybele
736 posts

The moderator has a ginormous effect on the debate. The questions may be the same for each candidate, the candidates have their rebuttle, but the time allocation(s) are completely under the control of the moderator. The moderator can ask for elaboration, or allow hedging to occur.

Wait a second here. . .let's back up. First you were saying that the moderator's bias had little effect, then you went on to explain how the moderators in the past were biased against candidates.

So which is it?

By the way, it has just been reported that Gwen Ifill did not disclose her pro-Obama book to the debate committee (even though she had been working on it for some time, and it is now on the verge of publication). Why would she not devulge this?

Please advise,
Cybele

Oct 02, 2008, 17:08

Labhead
Labhead
1868 posts

I didn't say that the moderator has little affect on the debates... I said good luck trying to find somebody without a bias. Everybody's got their opinions, and I'd be surprised if there's anybody that's been paying attention to the news that wouldn't have a stong leaning towards either Obama or McCain.

And then I pointed out that it's gone both ways with other debates, and that it's been pretty common knowledge that Ifill wrote the Obama book.

Are you also going to protest the next debate since Brokaw leans towards McCain?

Oct 02, 2008, 17:20

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

Re: Biden/Palin debate

It's wrong for the moderator to have a clear bias, there's lots of people they can pick out there. However, if there were more than one moderator and they each chose equal questions, it would be potentially more fair. They could then use that if Palin does a very poor job. Poor pitiful Palin.

I have to work, and will have to watch the damned thing on youtube. I am pretty repulsed as usual by the republican candidates, so I'll be equally if not way more disgusted this time. Fun. :(

Oct 02, 2008, 17:22

easychord
69 posts

Laetitia has discussed the power of bluffing in a past interview on the old web site and she may have included the subject of bluffing in some song lyrics.
I keep getting surprized about things nowdays, so it will be interesting to see if Palin, being the master of the non-answer, can bluff her way through.

Oct 02, 2008, 18:12

cybele
cybele
736 posts

Yeah. . .but maybe TRY to find a balanced moderator, right?

I don't think Brokaw would lean as much as someone that just wrote/published a book essentially endorsing one of the two candidates at the height of election season. THAT deserves to be challenged.

Cybele

Oct 02, 2008, 19:05

EnosEmurf
EnosEmurf
22 posts

Should be very interesting. Though I do see Biden destroying her, maybe she'll somehow pull it together and at least look semi-acceptable as a candidate.

Oct 02, 2008, 19:46

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

cybele wrote:
Yeah. . .but maybe TRY to find a balanced moderator, right?

I don't think Brokaw would lean as much as someone that just wrote/published a book essentially endorsing one of the two candidates at the height of election season. THAT deserves to be challenged.

Cybele

The fact that she wrote the book was publically disclosed long before now. McCain even made a statement earlier this week saying she was fair and balanced and there would not be a problem.

They are only making it an issue now in an effort to drum up support for their waning campaign.

Oct 02, 2008, 20:07

Mars Rover *bow wow*
Mars Rover *bow wow*
92 posts

i think the McCain camp saw how bad she handled the Couric interviews. Did you see that she could not even name a Supreme Court case....not one! So, McCain needs to make it appear like she's being bullied by the evil left wing media.

Oct 02, 2008, 21:02

GaryB
GaryB
1554 posts

Er...

...is that a cat with a bit of lime on its head?

Oct 02, 2008, 21:45

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index