Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Has anyone tried a Muzak LP?
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

YZ
YZ
72 posts

Has anyone tried a Muzak LP?

The Muzak Corporation put out in the '70s several demonstrational records, most of them having the title "Stimulus Progression" and a number attached.
Of course, these records are now very rare, but the proposal seems really mouth-watering for someone like me who hasn't heard too much real muzak, just ingenious elevator music pseudo-copycats from the likes of Stereolab or Rich Bennett...
All this concept behind Muzak sounds wonderful to me, but practically... At least the Stimulus Progression record I managed to hear wasn't stimulating at all. I couldn't find anywhere the catchy whistle-able melodies that this genuine elevator music was supposed to have. For the most, the songs were rather depressing and tend to build up too slowly. And never attempted at least to try and be more than frankly forgettable. Well, at least there aren't diabolical and/or annoying melodies that get stuck in your head, but there's nothing really pleasant...
I'm afraid to try anymore of those Muzak records. It seems to me that what Stereolab and others have made out of this influence is better after all... Same goes, unfortunately, for, say, Enoch Light. I've tried to enjoy his records, but which suffer from the same problem: totally forgettable songs. With the exception of that record featuring The Free Design, "Spaced Out". At least the percussion albums I've tried have nothing spacey in them... (or real pop, for that matter.)

Oct 31, 2009, 19:19

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

calapia
calapia
252 posts

Re: Has anyone tried a Muzak LP?

I was lucky enough to pick up one of these LP's, with one of my favorite songs in fact (Look Of Love), that was given the royal treatment in this format. Probably not all around the strongest record, but the concept behind it is pretty interesting/scary.

Nov 01, 2009, 15:10

deadlyfingers
deadlyfingers
1223 posts

The only Muzak I own is Devo's "E-Z Listening Disc", which is only fake Muzak, but still quite repellent:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-Z_Listening_Disc

I'm sure the original stuff would be fascinating to hear for a handful of seconds.

Nov 02, 2009, 02:39

lique
lique
517 posts

Isn't Muzak the crap they play in elevators?

Nov 04, 2009, 01:36

deadlyfingers
deadlyfingers
1223 posts

lique wrote:
Isn't Muzak the crap they play in elevators?

Yeah, kind of like BIZARRO Eno.

Nov 04, 2009, 02:59

calapia
calapia
252 posts

Hey, I dig Muzak, but I think the title "Bizzaro Eno" should be reserved for something a lot more awesome.

Nov 04, 2009, 04:31