Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Space Age Batchelor Pad Music (2x)
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

YZ
YZ
72 posts

Space Age Batchelor Pad Music (2x)

From The Groop Played... I only like that one song (the first one, I think) with the lyrics "You're sensational, you're sensational..." and the two Space Age Batchelor Pad Music interludes. There's something magical about these two pieces. Just like the two exotica(-ish) pieces on MAQ, they're something unexpected. Or somewhat. In any case, the Mellow one could almost figure as an audio representation of the cover of ETK. I like it a lot and would have wished the Stereolab have done more Moog-only songs. I know, I know, I can just look for more Moog era records and find what I want, but I would need some heavy guidance in that area, and anyway Stereolab is Stereolab...

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention the Foamy piece. Which is not only somewhat out of place on a Stereolab record, but it also has something that I can't quite put my finger on it... It has a certain je-ne-sais-quoi, but different from the je-ne-sais-quoi of other Stereolab songs... It's somehow hypnotic. And somehow not sad. Although subtle.

Nov 03, 2009, 13:51

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

Re: Space Age Batchelor Pad Music (2x)

The song you are referring to is RONCO SYMPHONY.
I agree with you, it is a beautiful song and one of my STEREOLAB favorites.
But it is not track 1: that is AVANT GARD M.O.R. which I rate very high as well.
What I really dislike in this set is WE ARE NOT ADULT ORIENTATED in both versions.
Even with the above two outstanding tracks, the rest oscillating between "ok" and bad make this a minor STEREOLAB release in my view.
But if we classify it as an EP I suppose we can consider it mildly satisfying.

Nov 03, 2009, 15:35

crest
crest
63 posts

velvetwater wrote:
What I really dislike in this set is WE ARE NOT ADULT ORIENTATED in both versions.

well, not their top in creatvity, but I like playing "Adult" loudly, especially the shorter, faster second one

Nov 03, 2009, 15:39

Eddie Chargeman
Eddie Chargeman
1576 posts

I dunno the names. but I like the electronic birdie song and "now's the time time to say NO! to the door; yes we can before it..."
I don't remember the track listing as it's been a while since I've listened to this cd, but, those two songs are really STELLAR! two of my faves esp. the "say no to the war" song which really has a wonderful, superior melody and phrasing is classically formed and that might be why i have ALWAYS enjoyed it. not one of their more popular songs, certainly, undermentioned, under-appreciated, and overlooked. but come to think of it, I'm not always enthusiastic of their more popular fare.

Nov 04, 2009, 02:47

YZ
YZ
72 posts

velvetwater wrote:
The song you are referring to is RONCO SYMPHONY.
I agree with you, it is a beautiful song and one of my STEREOLAB favorites.
But it is not track 1: that is AVANT GARD M.O.R. which I rate very high as well.
Even with the above two outstanding tracks, the rest oscillating between "ok" and bad make this a minor STEREOLAB release in my view.
But if we classify it as an EP I suppose we can consider it mildly satisfying.

We're Not Adult Orientated sounds better when I remember it, than when I really hear it. I don't know if I get the wrong terms here but I think the chord progression (right?) should happen more often...

In any case, "The Groop Played..." is just a rehearsal of the band that would come to excellent results.

Nov 04, 2009, 14:22

MY RETURN
1963 posts

It's always in the used bin

sometimes clearanced for a dollar. It's not something on my regular rotation but I don't think it's THAT bad. Yeesh

Nov 04, 2010, 21:43

corporalclegg
corporalclegg
501 posts

velvetwater wrote:

That's just crazy talk!

Nov 04, 2010, 22:20

Squirrel M. Nutter
890 posts

I think its great.

Nov 04, 2010, 22:24

jorbel
330 posts

I always have to go and listen again to re-remember, but one thing I can tell: there's not a single groop release that I find less necessary. They're ALL the air I breathe.

<3

Nov 05, 2010, 15:32

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

Dude, you're a dumb-ass. The lyrics are clearly, "Now is the time to say "NO!" to the door."

Nov 05, 2010, 17:09

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index