Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Why does this site attract "Religious zealots"
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Labhead
Labhead
1868 posts

Cliff Notes to Cyberpainter's post

cyberpainter wrote:
I'm more inclined to be skeptical about a god that can be thought of in terms of being an individual entity with a consciousness. I am not really a superstitious person, but I certainly think there could be some kind of mysterious force that permeates everything and can exist beyond our lives. And I also don't discount the possibility of god, since I really have no idea. However I'm doubtful of many human interpretations of god, and religious beliefs, as they seem most often like a way for people to understand in a simple way what they want to believe. Mostly as a way to live ethically and to overcome a fear of death. People who say god has talked to them or given them signs, or the concept of faith to me seems like wishful thinking. When people claim to "know" things because of faith, I am highly skeptical. And when they claim they know, and I just don't understand, or haven't let some religious belief into my life, I'm even more skeptical. I know religious study can be very complex, and I don't want to belittle it, but I still feel I can have a valid opinion without having delved that deeply. I grew up going to church every week, sunday school, etc. But I let it go as an adult, when I felt I was seeing through it, to people who just wanted to have faith in a personified god, without any real proof, for the sake of tradition, and to make themselves feel better. However I don't think of myself as an atheist believe it or not.

Translation/Cliff Notes version: Cyberpainter is an agnostic.

:)

Nov 16, 2009, 02:27

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Labhead
Labhead
1868 posts

Re: Why does this site attract

s_lush_s wrote:

and another thing, DON'T TELL ME A GOD WASN'T INVOLVED! there must be some divine creator

Maybe god was just an alien, doing a science experiment?

Nov 16, 2009, 02:31

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5940 posts

Re: Cliff Notes to Cyberpainter's post

Labhead wrote:
cyberpainter wrote:
blah blah blah

Translation/Cliff Notes version: Cyberpainter is an agnostic.

:)

hehe

Nov 16, 2009, 03:18

YZ
YZ
72 posts

Mars Rover wrote:
YZ wrote:
Labhead wrote:
We are all atheists... you just happen to believe in one more god than I do. ;P
Ask yourself why you don't believe in the other gods, and you may find why I don't believe in yours (or any).

There are some good ideas in the bible... and then there's other ideas that are just crazy.

(...) I find atheists to be much better people than people of faith because atheists have come to our conclusions through reasoning and choice rather than fear.

I tend to find that religion seems to breed intolerance and hatred for others who don't believe the same thing, but of course this exists in mankind even without religion... it just seems like religion/belief is just another division and brings out this trait quicker and more viciously. (...)

My final thoughts, however, always come back to the fact that different things work for different people. They can work even if there's no god, and some people need that feeling of love and comfort; feeling that there's more to the universe & an afterlife... not everyone can be an independant minded atheist, it's not easy for most... but we all start out as atheists before being brainwashed by our parents. :)

Erm... really?
Does it really have to be that way?
I haven't read the Bible, so go figures.
There's nothing just bad in believing, but sometimes religions are... just too serious.

just too serious? are you kidding me man? take a peak in that bible. how the fuck do you believe in something you haven't even read?

thank GOD i'm an atheist.

!?
By read I meant reading the whole thing, not taking a peak.
Of course, I've taken peaks in.
Just what someone said: God is rather something that permeates everything than a particular person.
People here are saying it better than me.

Nov 16, 2009, 14:27

lique
lique
517 posts

no. it's about a religious zealot trying not to be a religious zealot. I never knew Stereolab fans would have so many freakin' problems!!!

Nov 16, 2009, 21:18

jauntymonty
jauntymonty
1623 posts

Heavens to Murgatroyd! Music is a religion!

Nov 16, 2009, 21:29

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

Wow 56 responses, you gotta admit that whenever someone brings up the subject of God and especially Jesus, it certainly gets people talking, God bless you all and Jesus loves you whether you like it or not.

Nov 17, 2009, 11:13

Kazak
Kazak
1619 posts

May the divine pink panda bear at the north pole have mercy on your soul!

Nov 17, 2009, 15:28

GaryB
GaryB
1554 posts

Kazak wrote:
May the divine pink panda bear at the north pole have mercy on your soul!

Infidel!!

Nov 17, 2009, 15:55

Kazak
Kazak
1619 posts

Bob bless you!

Nov 17, 2009, 16:06

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index