Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Why does this site attract "Religious zealots"
81 messages
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5922 posts

Re: Why does this site attract

I'm more inclined to be skeptical about a god that can be thought of in terms of being an individual entity with a consciousness. I am not really a superstitious person, but I certainly think there could be some kind of mysterious force that permeates everything and can exist beyond our lives. And I also don't discount the possibility of god, since I really have no idea. However I'm doubtful of many human interpretations of god, and religious beliefs, as they seem most often like a way for people to understand in a simple way what they want to believe. Mostly as a way to live ethically and to overcome a fear of death. People who say god has talked to them or given them signs, or the concept of faith to me seems like wishful thinking. When people claim to "know" things because of faith, I am highly skeptical. And when they claim they know, and I just don't understand, or haven't let some religious belief into my life, I'm even more skeptical. I know religious study can be very complex, and I don't want to belittle it, but I still feel I can have a valid opinion without having delved that deeply. I grew up going to church every week, sunday school, etc. But I let it go as an adult, when I felt I was seeing through it, to people who just wanted to have faith in a personified god, without any real proof, for the sake of tradition, and to make themselves feel better. However I don't think of myself as an atheist believe it or not.

Nov 15, 2009, 03:31

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic Outline: