Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Emperor Tomato Ketchup - clearly the best!
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Stereo Mouse
Stereo Mouse
635 posts

Emperor Tomato Ketchup - clearly the best!

Fuck yeah! Listened to ETK recently and still after all these years, my favorite album.

Oct 22, 2008, 21:08

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

wracket
wracket
1425 posts

Re: Emperor Tomato Ketchup - clearly the best!

I wasn't going to start this thread, but you, sir, are correct.

Oct 22, 2008, 21:23

GaryB
GaryB
1554 posts

It's certainly up there, or thereabouts!

Oct 22, 2008, 22:05

Archigram
Archigram
375 posts

ETK --> SD

Oct 23, 2008, 00:09

Stereo Mouse
Stereo Mouse
635 posts

What I especially like about this album is the guitar sound. It may sound like the kind of a guitar sound Pavement and other indie bands have been using (and overusing perhaps), but it works well in the context of keyboard layers, string arrangements and irregular time signatures. It really makes me miss the prominent guitar on Dots and Sound Dust. ETK, unlike Dots and other McEntire era albums, is still an exploratory rock record and as such, it's a real success. Particularly great is how the soaring strings are matched against the intense band rockout towards the end of "Slow Fast Hazel", truly epic. It shows that the emphasis on arrangements can be great, if one retains the drive and emotional power, instead of trying to sound clever all the time.

While "Cybele's Reverie" in the live setting pretty much sounds like a mere crowd pleasing tune, the genial layering of instruments and spacious interplay still makes the studio version sound epochal even 12 years later. ETK stands as a valid testament on how to produce a great (indie) rock album.

Oct 23, 2008, 13:36

astro_jose
astro_jose
32 posts

halleluyah!!!!!

Oct 23, 2008, 14:11

DevastatorJr.
DevastatorJr.
961 posts

You're right on target here. Yeah, this is probably my favorite, if you discount AT, precisely because of what you mentioned - the diversity of styles and the prominent indie rock guitar. As a big Pavement fan, I LOVE that 90's guitar sound. I guess it's because those were my formative years, but I love the guitar sound of that era.

Oct 23, 2008, 15:27

waxenpith
waxenpith
1529 posts

Now my memory from the ninties is a little fuzzy... a lot of concerts..raves.... canadian summers... come to your own conclusions. BUT:

I remember it was either an Interview i saw or a friend that told me that it was called Emperor Tomato Ketchup because...

There was a hand held video game in japan that roughly translated to 'bar code warrior/killer' and the video game gave you strength based on randomisation of barcodes.

You'd scan a sack of flour get so many points, you'd scan a box of soap, different alotment of points.... You would fight with your friends via a cable or connection of some sort (perhaps infared)

depending on what you scanned would determine your power levels. It was discovered that a specific discount brand of ketchup was discovered to max out all your powers and make you basically unbeatable.

The stores sold out everywhere as everyone was buying up this ketchup to beef up their game, and in the process buying so many bottles as to make other ppl unable to get the powers as the stores were sold out. whoever in the band was fascinated by this phenomenom of human behaviour and decided to use the titled of the much sought after ketchup as the title of the album that followed this unique blip in consumer history.

this is a long time ago, so forgive me if its inaccurate.

Oct 24, 2008, 00:05

Labhead
Labhead
1868 posts

Wow, that's crazy.

I had heard that there was some kind of Japanese B-movie (or something) with kids revolting against the parents and setting up their own society, kinda like Lord of the Flies I guess.

Oct 24, 2008, 00:16

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2130 posts

The film?

http://www.filmbrain.com/filmbrain/2006/08/emperor_tomato_.html

Anyone ever watched it before? Is it worth seeking out?

Oct 24, 2008, 01:00

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index