Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Your advice please..
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

GaryB
GaryB
1554 posts

Re: Your advice please..

Mmm, this is tricky. HMV has a piss poor selection. No Sound Dust, no Dots & Loops, no Oscillons! I ordered ETK, which has a current status of - 'out of stock, back in stock in 7 days'. We'll see.

Nov 20, 2009, 17:08

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Labhead
Labhead
1868 posts

GaryB wrote:
I am going to buy my sister a Stereolab CD as part of her Xmas. She is a huge music fan, and I am positive she will dig our beloved groop.

She is mainly into guitar-based mainstream 'indie' - Buffy Clyro, Muse etc - but she also likes S&B, poppy stuff, and some dance music.

I'm thinking ETK would be a good start. It's a toss up between that and D&L. What do you think??

Tough choice... probably too late to suggest, but I agree that ABC music or maybe Oscillations is a good variety.
If she likes guitar stuff, I was thinking their older stuff might be better... ABC has a variety there, best of both worlds.

Nov 20, 2009, 17:28

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5928 posts

Maybe Margerine Eclipse.

Nov 20, 2009, 17:42

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5928 posts

ETK, Dots, AND Margerine for variety.

Nov 20, 2009, 17:44

Booklover
Booklover
680 posts

well, you have enough time to find a way how to burn Double rocker ABC version on it

wink wink

Nov 20, 2009, 17:55

Labhead
Labhead
1868 posts

cyberpainter wrote:
ETK, Dots, AND Margerine for variety.

Screw it, just get her the whole damn catalogue.

Nov 20, 2009, 18:07

martin
183 posts

GaryB wrote:
Mmm, this is tricky. HMV has a piss poor selection. No Sound Dust, no Dots & Loops, no Oscillons! I ordered ETK, which has a current status of - 'out of stock, back in stock in 7 days'. We'll see.

Hi Gary B
Why not try Rough Trade mail order, I hand deliver stock to them - back catalogue CDs and some out of print vinyl.
Getting stuff into HMV these days is a bit of a nightmare especially around Christmas when they want to shift the big sellers, DVDs and games.
Cheerio
Pikey

Nov 20, 2009, 19:28

skeej
skeej
6 posts

Nobody recommends Mars Audiac Quintet? It's extremely accessible. Very guitar based, yet clean sounding, yet not overly simple. Maybe I just feel that way cause Mars got me acquainted with the groop. It seems like a generally good introduction though.

Martin: do you deliver duophonic to them? Rough trade has a nice selection but I have an order placed there about a month and 2 weeks ago, and still no sign of it shipping. So if you need it fast, I wouldn't recommend Rough Trade.

Nov 20, 2009, 20:26

martin
183 posts

skeej wrote:
Nobody recommends Mars Audiac Quintet? It's extremely accessible. Very guitar based, yet clean sounding, yet not overly simple. Maybe I just feel that way cause Mars got me acquainted with the groop. It seems like a generally good introduction though.

Martin: do you deliver duophonic to them? Rough trade has a nice selection but I have an order placed there about a month and 2 weeks ago, and still no sign of it shipping. So if you need it fast, I wouldn't recommend Rough Trade.

Hey Skeej
Let me know what you ordered and i can let you know if there is a problem. Could've been delayed as I've been in the US for 4 weeks with Broadcast and Atlas Sound - due to deliver a batch of stock next week.
E-mail me at duophonic@btinternet.com with your order.
Cheerio
Martin

Nov 20, 2009, 20:29

GaryB
GaryB
1554 posts

martin wrote:
GaryB wrote:

Hi Gary B
Why not try Rough Trade mail order, I hand deliver stock to them - back catalogue CDs and some out of print vinyl.
Getting stuff into HMV these days is a bit of a nightmare especially around Christmas when they want to shift the big sellers, DVDs and games.
Cheerio
Pikey

Oh yeah! Nice selection there.

Found Oscillons on (good old) Norman Records. I'm gonna gift her an album through iTunes as well. It won't be ETK or D&L mind - why are they not on UK iTunes?

Nov 20, 2009, 20:35

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index