Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Flowchart: Rip Off or Appreciation?
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

nsc283b
405 posts

Flowchart: Rip Off or Appreciation?

I expect many of you have heard the 1995 album "Multi-Personality Tabletop Vacation" by Flowchart. It's extremely 'Stereolabish' both musically and in it's song titles. Is this a blatant rip off, or appreciation of a groop we all think are fantastic? Personally, I think the album's great. I wonder what The Groop thought of it at the time?

Nov 29, 2009, 21:17

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Booklover
Booklover
680 posts

Re: Flowchart: Rip Off or Appreciation?

I've read an interiew of them. They said they didn't even know they had a sound similar to the Groop. They just had some similar ideas and enjoyed the same music that time

Nov 30, 2009, 03:27

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

I like the album but I don't believe what they say about not being directly inspired by Stereolab. The similarity with MARS AUDIAC QUINTET is so striking that it is impossible it was not done on purpose.

Nov 30, 2009, 12:15

GaryB
GaryB
1554 posts

I have a couple of Flowchart records, but nothing that sounds like Stereolab. I need to check this out.

Nov 30, 2009, 12:49

Labhead
Labhead
1868 posts

Booklover wrote:
I've read an interiew of them. They said they didn't even know they had a sound similar to the Groop. They just had some similar ideas and enjoyed the same music that time

I wonder if that was before or after this album that was mentioned?

For FSM's sake, one of the songs is called "New Radiolab Rip-off", so how is it not a thinly-veiled disguise of a rip-off? :) Not to mention other similar sounding songs, like Do Oscillators Have Wings and Digit Do-Bop. The first song has a funny name, "Hero Wine", kinda sounds like Heroin, huh?

I got a kick out of it, so I wanted to share it with the Groop... when I met them outside of the Metro around the late 90's, I gave a copy of this to Andy the drummer for them to check out on the tour bus.

Nov 30, 2009, 17:06

mirtchevman
mirtchevman
1725 posts

wow, even the album cover is a rip-off -- looks like a hybrid of 'transient random sound bursts' and 'space age bachelor pad'...

Nov 30, 2009, 17:19

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5928 posts

I'm going to have to check that out now.

Nov 30, 2009, 17:30

k.
k.
407 posts

I always thought of them as Lab ripoffs, with a bit o MBV for good measure. They were pretty much universally hated for that back then. But 15 years doesn't care much about that type of thing. It's nice to know that some artists were so influenced to instantly dupe a sound. They didn't really keep up on that early-Lab sound tip though, which is too bad.

Nov 30, 2009, 17:56

GaryB
GaryB
1554 posts

mirtchevman wrote:

wow, even the album cover is a rip-off -- looks like a hybrid of 'transient random sound bursts' and 'space age bachelor pad'...

Transient and space-age are of course two covers Tim nicked from other releases. So flowchart ripped off the rip offs!

Nov 30, 2009, 18:32

Labhead
Labhead
1868 posts

GaryB wrote:

Transient and space-age are of course two covers Tim nicked from other releases. So flowchart ripped off the rip offs!

Haha, good point.
I've heard that it's almost impossible to be truly original these days... the real trick is twisting re-used ideas into something that sounds original, although it never truly can be purely original.

Nov 30, 2009, 18:37

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index