Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Japanese Music
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

hito
hito
1745 posts

Tenniscoats

So many great releases over the years. This track off Tan Tan Therapy is a favourite

This is a track they did with the Pastels. You can also find it on their album "The Ending Theme"

Jan 17, 2010, 23:12

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

hito
hito
1745 posts

More

I won't clog this thread up but I would add the following names:

Nobukazu Takemura, Yuka Honda (solo / Cibo Matto), Miho Hatori (solo , Cibo Matto, w. Smokey Hormel), Gutevolk, Shugo tokumaru, Susumu Yokota, Tujiko Noriko, Boredoms, Nikaido kazumi, Cornelius, Yumbo, My Pal Foot Foot, Puka Puka Brians, Nika Soup and Saya Source, Yoshimio (solo and with Jim O'Rourke), Ytamo, Cinorama, Cokiyu, Cacoy, Hifana, Ai Yamamoto, Andersens, Ueno Takashi...

Jan 17, 2010, 23:27

GaryB
GaryB
1554 posts

Re: OOIOO

Nice sounds, hito.

I have been intrigued by this band - purely based on their 'name'. Much like I was with Sunn O)))! I need to buy some.

Jan 17, 2010, 23:30

GaryB
GaryB
1554 posts

Re: More

hito wrote:
I won't clog this thread up but I would add the following names:

Nobukazu Takemura, Yuka Honda (solo / Cibo Matto), Miho Hatori (solo , Cibo Matto, w. Smokey Hormel), Gutevolk, Shugo tokumaru, Susumu Yokota, Tujiko Noriko, Boredoms, Nikaido kazumi, Cornelius, Yumbo, My Pal Foot Foot, Puka Puka Brians, Nika Soup and Saya Source, Yoshimio (solo and with Jim O'Rourke), Ytamo, Cinorama, Cokiyu, Cacoy, Hifana, Ai Yamamoto, Andersens, Ueno Takashi...

woah - lot's to be going on with!

Tenniscoats - of course. I like what I have heard of them.

Is Boris Japanese? And Merzbow!! I knew more Japanese artistes than I thought.

Jan 17, 2010, 23:33

hito
hito
1745 posts

GaryB wrote:

Is Boris Japanese? And Merzbow!! I knew more Japanese artistes than I thought.

Yes, Boris is. And Merzbow's real name is Masami Akita

Jan 17, 2010, 23:41

GaryB
GaryB
1554 posts

Merzbow

I have a few Merzbow releases. They're pretty insane. Definitely 'mood' music.

My favourite is the Keoi line LP with Richard Pinhas. Great album.

I only know Boris through Sunn O))).

Jan 18, 2010, 00:02

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2130 posts

hito wrote:
Gutevolk

Gutevolk is adorable, really nice music! "Suomi" and "Tiny People Singing Over The Rainbow" are my favourite albums. I feel this one is maybe their most "labbish" track, so check it out Gary!

There seems to be a big scene for new "shoegazey" bands in Japan - my favourites are Luminous Orange, they sound kind of like a cross between Sonic Youth and Stereolab to my ears (Ian Masters from the Pale Saints even did some guest vocals on a couple of tracks). Here is an example from them:

There are quite a few Zeuhl inspired acts in Japan, the most famous of which is probably Koenji Hyakkei. Maybe not to everyone's taste, a bit "out there"....their drummer is truly fantastic, and also in the band Ruins, who I never really got into so much (yet). Also from this circle are Bondage Fruit, whose track "Octopus Command" blows my mind! Couldn't find it on youtube though :( Here is some Koenji Hyakkei:

In psychedelic music there are Acid Mothers Temple and their various offshoots - I enjoy bits of what I have heard, but they have a really huge discography and I'm not sure where to start there....can anybody advise?

And as a somewhat random addition, I have a compilation album of The Peanuts - "The Mothra Twins" from the Godzilla movies - they released a whole bunch of other stuff besides, which I find to be all quite pleasant.

I'm sure there are tons of great bands from Japan, so if anyone cares to enlighten me towards further listening in these kind of directions I would be most grateful :)

Jan 18, 2010, 02:53

deadlyfingers
deadlyfingers
1218 posts

I'm only familiar with a few of the bands that have been mentioned, but the ones that I do know, I love. My two cents on a few:

Cornelius - his 'Point' album is a classic. It's tied together with musical themes that get turned inside out and back again, a real coherent album-length work just like the way they used to make 'em (Kraftwerk, Floyd, Parliament, etc). His videos are always great, too.

OOIOO - I think 'Gold & Green' is stunning, but somehow there seems to be a very fine line between their best and worst. (bonus: they make a really good soundtrack for running/working out)

Smokey & Miho - an adorable Japanese/American take on Brazilian music. I'm always in the mood to listen to their first EP.

Jan 18, 2010, 05:57

mikka000
1083 posts

Re: Japanese Music

all nice recommendations. one name i didn't see is Eddie Marcon. Better than Tenniscoats et al in my opinion and nowhere near as exposed as they should be. great stuff.
and I always have time for My Pal Foot Foot. I saw the live once and they just blew me away.

Jan 18, 2010, 07:05

mikka000
1083 posts

Re: Japanese Music

oh and i forgot to mention Sachiko M, Toshimaru Nakamura and Otomo Yoshihide (if you like more 'out there' sounds).

Sachiko M and Toshimaru Nakamura released a wonderful album called 'Do' on Erstwhile records which is well worth checking out if u like minimal improv. Also Sachiko M and Otomo Yoshihide make music as a duo called Filament and that's good stuff also.

here is a short doco from Australian TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl8IMc-8-N8

Jan 18, 2010, 07:15

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index