Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
The State of the Union
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

jauntymonty
jauntymonty
1623 posts

Re: debt, budgets, when Obama's policies take affect, compounding interest

revox wrote:

Uh huh, so those 're things he 'hasn't' done, has anything that he said he'd do actually been done?
~8^>

I don't know if these were campaign promises but in the past year he has:

Legislated a fair pay act, giving basic protection against pay discrimination (against women), and his recovery act covers childcare, tax credits and incentives to help part-time workers and people re-entering the workforce.

He has also established the White House Council on Women and Girls, meant to ensure all cabinet-level agencies think about how their work will impact on women and families.

Obama gave a green light to the California car-emissions standards that Bush had been blocking for six years an important step on the road to cleaner air and a cooler planet.

Obama erased Bush's decision to restrict federal funding for stem-cell research.

Expanding funding for AmeriCorps

Banning lobbyists from giving gifts to employees of the executive branch

Increasing investing in alternative energy.

Increasing funding for the National Endowment for the Arts.

Placed a pay cap on members of the executive branch.

Feb 04, 2010, 18:24

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Eddie Chargeman
Eddie Chargeman
1576 posts

Re: The State of the Union

true that! My roomate attended Pres. Bushs' first post-presidency speaking engagement. He said it was the worst speech ever given. he said without the teleprompters it was SO bad, that my roomate felt embarrassed for him.

Feb 04, 2010, 18:33

mirtchevman
mirtchevman
1725 posts

thanks for doing our homework, jaunty!

Feb 04, 2010, 18:49

jauntymonty
jauntymonty
1623 posts

No biggie. I just googled "what has obama done so far?" to mostly find about his promises not fullfilled (yet). Apparently somewhere on the web there is a site which has a track record for obama that is updated as time passes. That would be a good thing to find.

Seems we only hear about his failures. The media feeds on that. Republican's feed on that, and as they should.

Obama is mired up in the quicksand of the political process. I'm glad he has made some way through that.

Feb 04, 2010, 19:15

mirtchevman
mirtchevman
1725 posts

jauntymonty wrote:
Seems we only hear about his failures. The media feeds on that.

it's part of their business model -- it makes good copy and makes us pay attention.

that aside, it's hard not to be skeptical of politicians and the entire system. we've been burned so many times that we begin to forget that these guys are supposed to be on our side...

Feb 04, 2010, 19:24

revox
revox
800 posts

jauntymonty wrote:

No biggie. I just googled "what has obama done so far?"

Seems we only hear about his failures. The media feeds on that. Republican's feed on that, and as they should.

Obama is mired up in the quicksand of the political process. I'm glad he has made some way through that.

OK, thanks for 'googling' that - but I could have done that - what I'm looking for are results that people don't have to 'google' or 'wiki' for. That is, I want to know of the results that are of such significance that they impress upon the minds of people in the USA in their everyday lives to the extent that people are assured that change for good is going on.

It's interesting that Bytor Peltor (to whom my question was addressed), has not currently answered (perhaps there is a lengthy post on the way). This, of course, raises questions about the purpose of the post purely as a 'counter factual' one, full of irrelevant hot air, or or if it was one of genuine frustration based on abject failure of government - even though it's only been a year to put right all of the catastrophic BS that the people of the entire planet have had to endure, and in many hundreds of thousands of instances for the cost of their lives.

~8^)>

Feb 04, 2010, 20:09

Labhead
Labhead
1868 posts

jauntymonty wrote:

No biggie. I just googled "what has obama done so far?" to mostly find about his promises not fullfilled (yet). Apparently somewhere on the web there is a site which has a track record for obama that is updated as time passes. That would be a good thing to find.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/??resub

Ask and ye shall receive. I've heard this site is fairly non-partisan, a republican at work praised it when I mentioned it.

The news media is out for profit & sensationalism, which is counter-productive to actual facts.

The stem-cell thing always comes to my mind because I was incredibly pissed off at conservatives for fighting that one, which is one key to our future in solving diseases, etc, and has nothing to do with aborting babies (the stem cells would be thrown away otherwise, so why not use them?).

There's been many things I've seen & heard Obama doing that are for our greater good... however, I pay attention more than the average guy so I don't doubt that many people haven't noticed all the good he's done so far.

Feb 04, 2010, 20:29

Labhead
Labhead
1868 posts

Labhead wrote:
jauntymonty wrote:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/??resub

{...]

There's been many things I've seen & heard Obama doing that are for our greater good... however, I pay attention more than the average guy so I don't doubt that many people haven't noticed all the good he's done so far.

How does that old phrase go? When you do your job well, people won't notice you're doing it at all...

Feb 04, 2010, 20:31

Kazak
Kazak
1618 posts

I don't know if it was a promise or not honestly, maybe someone will. But, it's a measure I applaud, nonetheless.

Feb 04, 2010, 21:09

revox
revox
800 posts

Kazak wrote:
I don't know if it was a promise or not honestly, maybe someone will. But, it's a measure I applaud, nonetheless.

Hm, yes, in a world with Michael Moore (or Mark Thomas in the UK), and Illuminati theorists arguing convincingly, it was a courageous move.

~8^|>

Feb 04, 2010, 21:46

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index