Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
The State of the Union
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Martian
Martian
328 posts

Re: debt, budgets, when Obama's policies take affect, compounding interest

Absolutely NONE of those things hold a candle to the actual issues.

Cybele

Feb 05, 2010, 03:20

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Labhead
Labhead
1868 posts

Martian wrote:
Absolutely NONE of those things hold a candle to the actual issues.

Cybele

~Global Warming is an issue (Obama gave a green light to the California car-emissions standards that Bush had been blocking for six years ó an important step on the road to cleaner air and a cooler planet.)

~Keeping scientists from having to go overseas for stem-cell research is an issue (Obama erased Bush's decision to restrict federal funding for stem-cell research.)

~Creating jobs is an issue (Expanding funding for AmeriCorps, Increasing investing in alternative energy., Increasing funding for the National Endowment for the Arts.

~Lobbyists are an issue, at least hurting legislation which affects everything (Banning lobbyists from giving gifts to employees of the executive branch)

~Reducing spending is an issue (Placed a pay cap on members of the executive branch.)

The way I look at Obama's spending is kinda like this: Bush drove this country/car off into the ditch and left us with almost no gas left. To get out of a ditch, unfortunately you have to floor it/put the pedal to the metal (spend money) and try turning different directions to get the car/country back on the road. We can't afford to shut off the engine and expect to idle in the ditch and everything will just work itself out, which apparantly was McCain's plan at one point (total spending freeze except for the giant war machine which soaks up most of our budget). We 'stayed the course' for too long. Of course, the ultimate goal is much more change than Obama's probably capable of, like 3rd parties for starters, or a restructure to fix the huge holes where the greed gets in.

I swear, sometimes the right is really blind when they want to be. I know we're not perfect, but at least... agh, I'm not gonna go there.

Feb 05, 2010, 04:05

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

revox wrote:
Kazak wrote:
He did repeal the ban on stem cell research.

Did he say he'd do that?

Could be seen as being a bad thing; were any reasons given for the repeal?

~8^|>

Reasons? You mean like taking away roadblocks to help find cures for diseases? Do you need an explanation of something that obvious?

Feb 05, 2010, 04:42

revox
revox
800 posts

Labhead wrote:

The way I look at Obama's spending is kinda like this: Bush drove this country/car off into the ditch and left us with almost no gas left. To get out of a ditch, unfortunately you have to floor it/put the pedal to the metal (spend money) and try turning different directions to get the car/country back on the road.

Nice simile very true.

~8^)>

Feb 05, 2010, 08:28

revox
revox
800 posts

cyberpainter wrote:
revox wrote:
Kazak wrote:

Did he say he'd do that?

~8^|>

Reasons? You mean like taking away roadblocks to help find cures for diseases? Do you need an explanation of something that obvious?

It depends upon the motive, doesn't it?

Do you need an explanation with regard to big business (including global drugs companies), politics and ulterior motive?

Do you think that the poor people of Iran or the Yemen are going to benefit from any stem cell research as a result of those countries that have the cures aiming to practice non-profit related altruism?

~8^|>

Feb 05, 2010, 08:35

Martian
Martian
328 posts

Cybele[/quote]
~Reducing spending is an issue (Placed a pay cap on members of the executive branch.)
[/quote]

I'm gonna bust a gut laughing. The thought that placing a pay cap on members of the executive branch is going reduce our spending of any inkling of significance. . .

The thought that Bush's reckless spending in 8 years holds a candle to the spending Obama just spewed fourth in 1 year makes me wonder if you've been drinking so much of the Kool-Aid that you're intoxicated beyond all reason.

Are you confusing "billions" with "trillions"? Please stop this complete fucking insanity before our national credit rating hits the shithouse and the faulty foundation of the Euro further exacerbates the recession in Europe too. Please stop this before the bubble bursts in China and they pull the plug on funding our debt, demanding payment on principle.

Do you think that whatever meager incentives Obama is hawking will actually cause businesses to hire people when they know full-well that their taxes will increase adjacent to the price of healthcare? Of course they're not budging now and neither will Wall Street. They're all waiting for the next routed, inexperienced attack from Washington. Attack the banks, attack Toyota. ..fuck it, letís go after everything Capital!

Do you really think that using my tax dollars to prop up alternative energy is going to cause significant enough catalyst toward any sudden economic growth? Has it worked in the last 10 years? How's that Ethanol industry working out for you? Has the department of Energy lessened our dependence on foreign oil? I mean shit. . .if I had the means to open a business, I would certainly hold back or seek a location anywhere else but here.

How about Iran and their hot new nukes? Will the leveling of Israel be just a dress rehearsal to their true nuclear intentions on the West?

What will the next terrorist attack (and they have recently warned us that this is all but inevitable) do to the economy and jobs?

Oh fuck it. When all else fails, blame Bush.

Cybele

Feb 05, 2010, 15:01

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

revox wrote:
cyberpainter wrote:
revox wrote:
Kazak wrote:

Did he say he'd do that?

~8^|>

It depends upon the motive, doesn't it?

Do you need an explanation with regard to big business (including global drugs companies), politics and ulterior motive?

Do you think that the poor people of Iran or the Yemen are going to benefit from any stem cell research as a result of those countries that have the cures aiming to practice non-profit related altruism?

~8^|>

No it doesn't depend on the motive. It's not better to suppress scientific research. Whether they should have more rules against unethical practices on the part of big business and drug companies is another story. But stem cell research itself is not unethical and should not be suppressed.

Feb 05, 2010, 17:36

jauntymonty
jauntymonty
1623 posts

Labhead wrote:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/??resub

Ask and ye shall receive. I've heard this site is fairly non-partisan, a republican at work praised it when I mentioned it.

Thanks!

Feb 05, 2010, 18:37

wracket
wracket
1425 posts

Martian wrote:

I'm gonna bust a gut laughing.

Please stop this before the bubble bursts in China and they pull the plug on funding our debt, demanding payment on principle.

I'm gonna bust a gut laughing.

Don't talk about what you clearly don't grasp. Maybe go back to complaining about how those ethnic types are ruining your favorite hang-outs in Chicago or something?

Pleasing to advise,

Cyanure

Feb 05, 2010, 19:14

revox
revox
800 posts

cyberpainter wrote:

It's not better to suppress scientific research.

I'm sure that would get a positive vote from Dr Mengele.

cyberpainter wrote:

But stem cell research itself is not unethical and should not be suppressed.

What independent evidence is there that has reassured you of the ethical nature of stem cell research, care to share?

~8^|>

Feb 05, 2010, 19:26

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index