Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
The State of the Union
79 messages
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Labhead
Labhead
1868 posts

Re: debt, budgets, when Obama's policies take affect, compounding interest

Martian wrote:
Absolutely NONE of those things hold a candle to the actual issues.

Cybele

~Global Warming is an issue (Obama gave a green light to the California car-emissions standards that Bush had been blocking for six years an important step on the road to cleaner air and a cooler planet.)

~Keeping scientists from having to go overseas for stem-cell research is an issue (Obama erased Bush's decision to restrict federal funding for stem-cell research.)

~Creating jobs is an issue (Expanding funding for AmeriCorps, Increasing investing in alternative energy., Increasing funding for the National Endowment for the Arts.

~Lobbyists are an issue, at least hurting legislation which affects everything (Banning lobbyists from giving gifts to employees of the executive branch)

~Reducing spending is an issue (Placed a pay cap on members of the executive branch.)

The way I look at Obama's spending is kinda like this: Bush drove this country/car off into the ditch and left us with almost no gas left. To get out of a ditch, unfortunately you have to floor it/put the pedal to the metal (spend money) and try turning different directions to get the car/country back on the road. We can't afford to shut off the engine and expect to idle in the ditch and everything will just work itself out, which apparantly was McCain's plan at one point (total spending freeze except for the giant war machine which soaks up most of our budget). We 'stayed the course' for too long. Of course, the ultimate goal is much more change than Obama's probably capable of, like 3rd parties for starters, or a restructure to fix the huge holes where the greed gets in.

I swear, sometimes the right is really blind when they want to be. I know we're not perfect, but at least... agh, I'm not gonna go there.

Feb 05, 2010, 04:05

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic Outline: