Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
A new era
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

augustus
augustus
54 posts

A new era

The world changed about a month ago and we are entering a new era.

If 1962 to 1980 was about liberation exploration and 1980 - 2008 was about consumption what is the zeitgeist of the new era?

I would say it is all about getting to grips with difficult problems, restraint and constriction. Surveillance cameras, tougher border controls, heavier taxes, less credit, harder economic times.

And where is the joy in that? Well joy and happiness will be more important than ever - because they will be in shorter supply. How about staying at home with family and friends?

Oct 28, 2008, 16:17

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

modfinger
modfinger
136 posts

Re: A new era

The real positives of these times are that we can still enjoy art and music and spend more time with our families. To some degree because we are driving our cars less there will be the benefit of lowered carbon emissions into the atmosphere. The challenge of these coming years will be to somehow to use the negatives to perpetuate positives.

Oct 28, 2008, 18:13

DevastatorJr.
DevastatorJr.
961 posts

I read somewhere something along the lines of "If the 20th Century was all about Technique then 21st Century will be all about Design." That is, Design with a big D. We've reached the point of material abundance and advanced technological expertise, but it is in the application of these powers that we are still lacking. We know HOW to do it, we just haven't figured out WHAT needs to be done. This is true in the areas of resource allocation, urban and social planning, scientific research, the arts, etc. It's a big challenge, but I think if we think about it this way, it becomes a new adventure that everyone can participate in, and not just a chore. We have to figure out new and better ways to do things.

Have you checked out the Long Now yet, there's great stuff on there, I'm a big cheerleader...

http://www.longnow.org/projects/seminars/

Oct 28, 2008, 19:14

GaryB
GaryB
1554 posts

augustus wrote:

Well joy and happiness will be more important than ever - because they will be in shorter supply. How about staying at home with family and friends?

From New Years Day you are going to have about all the joy and happiness you can handle :]

Oct 28, 2008, 22:54

augustus
augustus
54 posts

Hey Gaz - how did you know the precise date?

Oct 30, 2008, 09:11

GaryB
GaryB
1554 posts

You mentioned it in the "Who Are You" thread. I was wondering how you knew the exact date?! Crystal ball?

Oct 30, 2008, 09:13

augustus
augustus
54 posts

Oh wow - no when we had a scan the chap doing it seemed to be able to work out the precise date.

Oct 30, 2008, 09:15

GaryB
GaryB
1554 posts

Babies

The doctors were very confident when predicting Emily's arrival, but she couldn't wait to see her mum and dad and came 2 weeks early! (see avatar).

New Years Day would be a nice day to welcome the new arrival.

Oct 30, 2008, 09:22

augustus
augustus
54 posts

Re: Babies

Sweet, gorgeous.

I am kinding of hoping ours will be a little late - January 9 would be nice - Jimmy Page's birthday...

Oct 30, 2008, 09:42