Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Days of Future Past
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

modfinger
modfinger
136 posts

Days of Future Past

What does the future hold for Stereolab? It is said that history repeats itself. Will the groop borrow from the past in their future compositions? Of late it seems they were going more pop, but with CC I think they were trying to bring back the one or two chord lock. What direction do you think Stereolab will take?

Oct 29, 2008, 13:41

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

DevastatorJr.
DevastatorJr.
961 posts

Re: Days of Future Past

If they're not careful, they may be hunted to the brink of extinction by giant purple robots.

In the meantime, I'm very curious to hear "Chemical Chords II" since Laetitia said it was darker, and I always like the darker moments.

Oct 29, 2008, 13:45

meanchico
meanchico
2697 posts

It would be interesting to hear the dream pop sound of the early-mid 80's interpreted by Stereolab.

Oct 29, 2008, 14:11

waxenpith
waxenpith
1529 posts

3 words.

Mary Genetically Cloned.

Oct 29, 2008, 14:17

modfinger
modfinger
136 posts

Giant Purple Robot, recycling superhero of London, would have a daunting task considering the extent of the Stereolab portfolio.

Tim Gane said in a recent interview that the CC2 release was not intended to be dark.

I would like for the songs to be a little longer have clearly defined beginnings, middles and endings.

Oct 29, 2008, 15:21

mirtchevman
mirtchevman
1725 posts

that would be pretty amazing.

but tim seems to be more influenced by the stuff that he wasn't really a part of. he was around when shoegaze came on the scene -- if he'd wanted to do something like that one would think he'd have done it already...

Oct 29, 2008, 15:22

Mu Mu
Mu Mu
2784 posts

Stereolab has done some material that I would call 'shoegazy.'

Oct 29, 2008, 15:43

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5940 posts

modfinger wrote:
What does the future hold for Stereolab? It is said that history repeats itself. Will the groop borrow from the past in their future compositions? Of late it seems they were going more pop, but with CC I think they were trying to bring back the one or two chord lock. What direction do you think Stereolab will take?

Really? I think CC is their most pop album.

Oct 29, 2008, 17:27

modfinger
modfinger
136 posts

Agreed, their most pop album. That is why my colleague liked it. However, if you listen to each layer of the composition, layer behind layer, it seems evident that the one or two chord lock is used just as it was in the early days of their music. This can be heard for example in One Finger Symphony, The Ecstatic Static, Silver Sands and Pop Molecule where you can hear that back layer with a definite repetitive one, two or as in Silver Sands three chord beat.It just seems that this Stereolab trademark was applied more deliberately on CC than other recent albums.

Oct 29, 2008, 18:16

modfinger
modfinger
136 posts

Psychodelic Furrs popped into my mind when I read yours.

Oct 29, 2008, 18:20