Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Show at Wonder Ballroom, Portland, Oregon
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

earthpatrol
3 posts

Show at Wonder Ballroom, Portland, Oregon

Great show! Enjoyed it tremendously and hope the band returns to Portland soon. I managed to get a few photos of the show and thought folks might enjoy them. Here's the link: Stereolab Photos - Wonder Ballroom, Portland

Thanks making Portland a stop on your tour. Cheers.

Oct 30, 2008, 04:34

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5913 posts

Re: Show at Wonder Ballroom, Portland, Oregon

Those are amazing photos, thanks. Did you take out some of the background? They're so dramatic.

Oct 30, 2008, 04:41

Labhead
Labhead
1868 posts

Re: Duty Now for the Future

Awesome pics.

This link made me laugh (I like Devo), surprised I didn't hear about it sooner: http://www.earthpatrolmedia.com/wordpress/?p=2335

Nice site.

Oct 30, 2008, 17:40

earthpatrol
3 posts

Re: Show at Wonder Ballroom, Portland, Oregon

cyberpainter wrote:
Those are amazing photos, thanks. Did you take out some of the background? They're so dramatic.

I'm using a 80-200mm lens at f2.8. The result is that the background is blurred and the subject pops. Glad you enjoyed the photos.

Oct 30, 2008, 21:36

earthpatrol
3 posts

Labhead wrote:
Awesome pics.

This link made me laugh (I like Devo), surprised I didn't hear about it sooner: http://www.earthpatrolmedia.com/wordpress/?p=2335

Nice site.

I'm hoping some video from that Devo show will make its way to the internet. Maybe Devo will get to play the White House soon. Is that your cat with the melon head?

Oct 30, 2008, 21:40

Labhead
Labhead
1868 posts

No, not my cat. Just a funny lime-helmet cat pic from the Internet. I torture our 2 cats in other ways, like putting tape on their legs or back by their tale... that really makes them flip out & 'disabled'. :)

I got to see Devo for the first time a few years back when they came to Chicago. They were getting a little political during the show, and to my disappointment the crowd didn't seem quite as receptive as I'd hoped (except for the music).

Some people don't like it when bands get political, but I think it's their absolute right and duty if that's how they feel. To do otherwise would be a lot like the band that fiddled on the Titanic while it was sinking.

Oct 30, 2008, 21:56

waxenpith
waxenpith
1529 posts

just a note:

as i read in an article with Matthew Herbert today, He said when you get political in music you automatically loose the fans that dont agree with your politics, and in essence music should be about the music and not ones opinion. This coming from an extremely political musician. directing attetnion to the radio boy album he made exclusively out of the packaging of fast food.

Oct 30, 2008, 23:57

Kazak
Kazak
1618 posts

Re: just a note:

What-the-fuck-ever! Imagine if that applied to all the arts and you can start to see why that opinion is totally fuct! Why should music be any different? Hint: it shouldn't.

Oct 31, 2008, 00:03

Labhead
Labhead
1868 posts

Yeah, that's definitely a big risk. Whenever something becomes more specific or specialized, you're going to turn off others. Conversely, the more popular something is, the more blander it is.

I prefer more specifics so I can get behind a band whole-heartedly and enjoy even more from them. Plus, I think that politics today are too important to be left for people to ignore if they don't follow what's going on.

If this boat known as America sinks, then the bands will possibly lose a good venue or home. :)

Oct 31, 2008, 00:05

waxenpith
waxenpith
1529 posts

He wasnt speaking for any other art other then music. I think people invest more personally in music. As its unfortunately more-so a form of personal expression for people other then the artist. (externally, non-creatively participating that is)

A lot of people feel they express themselves thru what they listen to. It's like an audiotory T-shirt slogan. People generally support the ideas of their t-shirts. Ie: "relax" or "mccain sucks".

Not as many people feel expression thru the visual artists they like or the television/films they watch. As i think its more a passive involvment.

Conversly a lot of ppl could care less about what a musician has to say, they are in it for the hook, or melody. And are just as passivley enjoying it as a painting or a movie/tv show.

Oct 31, 2008, 02:37