Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
'all their albums sound the same'
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

matthew6
matthew6
1909 posts

'all their albums sound the same'

this seems to be the critique leveled by music critics at Stereolab's last decade of work...

well

a) it doesn't sound the same

b) music critics are apparently lazy

Apr 01, 2010, 23:10

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Labhead
Labhead
1868 posts

Re: 'all their albums sound the same'

That's exactly what my friend said the first time I played Mars Audiac Quintet.

*shakes head*

Apr 01, 2010, 23:43

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2143 posts

matthew6 wrote:
this seems to be the critique leveled by music critics at Stereolab's last decade of work...

well

a) it doesn't sound the same

b) music critics are apparently lazy

Yes, this is bullshit criticism of the highest (or lowest) order. Ever get the feeling reading record reviews that whoever wrote them hasn't even bothered to listen to the fecking thing?!

Apr 02, 2010, 00:59

Dominick
Dominick
141 posts

None of their albums sound like any of the others. It's as plane as the nose on anyone's face.

Seriously.

Apr 02, 2010, 06:54

hito
hito
1745 posts

Dominick wrote:
None of their albums sound like any of the others. It's as plane as the nose on anyone's face.

Seriously.

Well, there are similarities and some tracks could have been on other albums without me double taking at the speakers.

Still, the critique is lazy.

Apr 27, 2010, 10:33

jauntymonty
jauntymonty
1623 posts

It bugs me when someone says that. I have found that some people listen at what I would call a superficial level or they have a pretty narrow music filter. Enjoying music is like you have three Picasso paintings side by side. Well, there is a simularity in style, but you appreciate the differences in theme and color and brush strokes. If you have studied this artist for some time, you learn to see even more subtle differences.

Apr 27, 2010, 12:38

Kazak
Kazak
1619 posts

Check out this critique!: http://flaminglips.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/977606548/m/278105756

Apr 27, 2010, 14:25

meanchico
meanchico
2697 posts

wow, I feel really overwhelmed by that person's ego.

Apr 27, 2010, 14:51

musicforeels
musicforeels
520 posts

Kazak wrote:

who are they quoting in that post? well, i presume they're quoting, what with the quotation marks and everything.

Apr 27, 2010, 22:25

Kazak
Kazak
1619 posts

musicforeels wrote:
Kazak wrote:

who are they quoting in that post? well, i presume they're quoting, what with the quotation marks and everything.

I guess it's the OP's cousin.

Apr 28, 2010, 19:52