Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Whatcha listening to this week?
Pages: 14 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

meanchico
meanchico
2696 posts

Whatcha listening to this week?

in heavy rotation:

Memory Tapes - reminds me of staying up late.

Beach House - every damn track they've released. if you get the chance to see them on the Teen Dream tour I highly recommend it.

Erykah Badu - her latest; not nearly as boring as I initially thought it was.

Ennio Morricone - what fun it is to explore! thank you for teh guidance, forum peeps.

Lady Gaga - Monster. "he ate my heart and then he ate my brain"

Stereolab track of the day - Spiracles

Apr 06, 2010, 15:41

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

musicforeels
musicforeels
520 posts

Re: Whatcha listening to this week?

sister irene o'connor - posted a link to this on this here board the other day. beautiful and very haunting. i'm not particularly religious but am very partial to religious music, especially when its as good as this.

basil kirchin: charcoal sketches/states of mind - been after this for a couple of years but to no avail until last week when i found a reasonably priced copy on amazon. short but almost perfectly formed. apart from maybe a little too much "squonking" here and there.

mike taylor: pendulum - top drawer mid-sixties british jazz with an air of malevolence about it. sounds in places like slapp happy in their "desperate straights" era, but without any singing. also notable for not being especially "free" jazz and all the better for it. its more like "trapped" jazz, which does sound rather painful.

mike curb congregation - nixon now/more than ever - downloaded this from the same place i got the singing nun from. terrible but very addictive. i think this was the promotional single that the nixon campaign put out before the fateful watergate term. i bloody hope it is.

it's time for tristram cary - got an advance copy of this lovely new trunk release about a month ago and its been in heavy rotation ever since. great, historic electronic experiments from a time when you could stick electronic experiments on the soundtrack for pretty much anything without people looking at you all funny and asking if you could maybe use florence and the machine instead.or whoever her equivalent was in 1968.

button moon (end titles): peter davison and sandra dickinson - to brits of a certain age, this requires no explanation, which is good 'cos i've run out of journalistic steam here. if you're no a brit of a certain age and don't know what i'm talking about, look it up on youtube.

oh and videophone by lady gaga. listened to that quite a bit too.

Apr 06, 2010, 17:11

mirtchevman
mirtchevman
1725 posts

musicforeels wrote:
sister irene o'connor - posted a link to this on this here board the other day. beautiful and very haunting. i'm not particularly religious but am very partial to religious music, especially when its as good as this.

waitminute. does this mean you managed to find this album in mp3 format? or are you just playing the three tracks that were posted on that site...?

Apr 06, 2010, 17:30

Labhead
Labhead
1868 posts

La Mezzanine de L'Alcazar volume 4 (2005)

Darren Emerson - Cream Separates 01 (1997)

Ray Charles - Genius & Soul, The 50th Anniversary Collection (1997)

Spiritualized Electric Mainline - Pure Phase (1995)

Echobelly - Everyone's Got One (1994)

Apr 06, 2010, 18:01

jauntymonty
jauntymonty
1623 posts

A mix of some favorites on a cd. Sorry, I can't remember all the titles off the cuff right now, but includes:

Belbury Poly -
Wolf People - Village Strollin
School of Seven Bells - Wired For Light, Chain, White Elephant Coat
Komeda - Cul De Sac
Blonde Redhead - Silently, Heroine
Massive Attack - Girl I Love You
Le Futur Pompiste - Seeds, Don't Let Go
Broadcast-Unchanging Window,Come on Let's Go, Man is Not A Bird
High Llamas -
Cranberries - Linger (an old favorite, mind you)
Charlotte Gainsbourg - Operation, Set Yourself On Fire

I'll do an addendum later on High Llamas and B P. Check out Belbury Poly if you get a chance.

Apr 06, 2010, 18:07

microbehunter
microbehunter
626 posts

on my turntable today:

Weather Report - Procession (1983)
Tortoise - A Lazarus Taxon (2000s)
Captain Beefheart - Doc at the radar station (1980)
Rhythm Buddies - Thunderbird Suite (2002)

and inspired by this forum:
Faust - Faust IV

song for the day: The Sad Skinhead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF30RpT2cOU

Apr 06, 2010, 18:13

revox
revox
800 posts

The Caretaker - Persistent Repetition of Phrases
Beak> - Recordings 05/01/09 - 17/01/09
Popol Vuh - Aguirre
Aphrodites Child - 666
Windy & Carl - Portal
Ver Lab - Peng!

~8^)>

Apr 06, 2010, 19:27

Labhead
Labhead
1868 posts

jauntymonty wrote:
Massive Attack - Girl I Love You

A most excellent song.

jauntymonty wrote:
Cranberries - Linger (an old favorite, mind you)

There ain't nothin' wrong with this song, it has me wrapped around it's finger and I have to let it linger.

Apr 06, 2010, 19:40

GaryB
GaryB
1554 posts

The Fall
Ride
Stereolab
The Gun Club
Nurse With Wound

mainly

Apr 06, 2010, 21:11

GaryB
GaryB
1554 posts

Ooh, scary. I had 666 on yesterday, the same day I ordered a Windy & Carl LP

:)

Apr 06, 2010, 21:13

Pages: 14 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index