Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
steal this book/movie/song.
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

MY RETURN
1963 posts

Re: Evolution?! lol

mirtchevman wrote:
MY RETURN wrote:
I'm not an artist. I'm not running. I do recognize that money IS a factor for the artists to be able to carry on.

okay, so you're not an artist. that just makes you the other half of the equation, the spectator -- the money-provider. and as such, you are just as much involved in the process. and yeah, the money does help the artists carry on. but art can just as well get along w/out it...

So now I'm evil because I PAY for what I use?? lol Art struggles along but flourishes better with support. ;)

May 11, 2010, 22:16

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

mirtchevman
mirtchevman
1725 posts

MY RETURN wrote:
So now I'm evil because I PAY for what I use?? lol Art struggles along but flourishes better with support. ;)

whoa, hold your fire -- nobody's callin anybody 'evil'; lets just pluck that word out of this convo right now.

i agree w/ what you say about the monetary support bit. but no socio-political or economic system can ever dictate or determine the way art moves -- it's like water.

going back to my original idea, file-sharing truly is 'leakage', in that it has created openings within what has seemed like an airtight structure of arts distribution. this is only the beginning -- nothing can stop the impending tidal wave...

May 11, 2010, 23:08

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

"i agree w/ what you say about the monetary support bit. but no socio-political or economic system can ever dictate or determine the way art moves -- it's like water. "

don't be naive. that's the premier propagation method of socio-political and economic systems.

May 13, 2010, 01:11

DevastatorJr.
DevastatorJr.
961 posts

As a side note, some related thoughts...

When talking about art and artists, I think it's important to remember that the popular notion we have of the "Artist", that is, the creative individual artisan who against all odds crafts something of value from his own individual vision and ambition, is a bit disconnected from the actual history. Renaissance artists required wealthy patrons for support, (like the Catholic Church!) and were often directly coerced, sometimes on pain of death, as to the subject matter and content of their works.

Even today, the role of "artist" as a career option is extremely limited to a handful of very lucky individuals. And success is certainly no sure indication of quality. Should anybody really have to pay for a Keisha record?

Personally one thing I think file sharing and other new technology has brought to light is the all pervasive nature of media as environment. I sort of see it like the copyrighting of geneticallly modified seeds that just happen to land in some farmers field, forcing them to now pay for what used to be free. Should participation in culture be pay-for-play? Then what's wrong with payola? Should the dimensions of the media space we all live in be dictated by a few corporate executives?

Finally, what's that old anecdote about the Balinese, how did they respond when asked what their art was? "We have no art, we do everything as well as we can."

May 13, 2010, 01:47

revox
revox
800 posts

DevastatorJr. wrote:

Personally one thing I think file sharing and other new technology has brought to light is the all pervasive nature of media as environment. I sort of see it like the copyrighting of geneticallly modified seeds that just happen to land in some farmers field, forcing them to now pay for what used to be free.

Perhaps some of the 'genetically modified seeds' that you create with your illegal copy of Adobe Photoshop could 'land in my field': your moral standpoint would surely permit me, encourage me in fact, to bypass your children's bellies, and your mortgage payments, to pass-off the 'seeds' as my own. Perhaps I could make some money from them and then 'share' the 'seeds' with those leeches that don't really think the 'seeds' are worth a damn other than having the perverse satisfaction of knowing that they have something for nothing. I'll keep an eye open for your work and then, when I've managed to screw something out of you, I'll let you know.

~8^|>

May 13, 2010, 07:23

jauntymonty
jauntymonty
1623 posts

Re: steal this book/movie/song.

We adapt. We learn. We develop new strategies. We are invincible!

May 13, 2010, 13:15

DevastatorJr.
DevastatorJr.
961 posts

Taking something I created and presenting it, unaltered, as your own, is plagarism. But I'd have no problem with you reading a comic I've drawn that someone's given you for free or creating fan fiction using some of my characters. Or if you wanted to do something of your own using a style or technique I came up with, it would be fine by me.

I'm of the opinion that no one can ever really bite your style, not if you're truly original. Jack Kerouac said, "Ideas come a dime a dozen, it's the approach that's important."

May 13, 2010, 14:06

mirtchevman
mirtchevman
1725 posts

DevastatorJr. wrote:
...I'd have no problem with you reading a comic I've drawn that someone's given you for free or creating fan fiction using some of my characters.

hey dev, do you draw comics...?

May 13, 2010, 14:42

DevastatorJr.
DevastatorJr.
961 posts

Yep, I do two varities basically, sort of main stream superhero or sci-fi oriented stuff, and more daily cartoon strip style stuff. Comics are great!

May 13, 2010, 15:10

mirtchevman
mirtchevman
1725 posts

revox wrote:
Perhaps some of the 'genetically modified seeds' that you create with your illegal copy of Adobe Photoshop could 'land in my field': your moral standpoint would surely permit me, encourage me in fact, to bypass your children's bellies, and your mortgage payments, to pass-off the 'seeds' as my own. Perhaps I could make some money from them and then 'share' the 'seeds' with those leeches that don't really think the 'seeds' are worth a damn other than having the perverse satisfaction of knowing that they have something for nothing. I'll keep an eye open for your work and then, when I've managed to screw something out of you, I'll let you know.

~8^|>

it seems that we can no longer get our minds around the idea of art w/out commerce. but it is possible. from ancient petroglyphs to today's graffiti writers it has been proven...

May 13, 2010, 15:17

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index