Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
who's had the best bands of the past 50 years?? great britain or u.s.
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

who's had the best bands of the past 50 years?? great britain or u.s.

Just for anyone who may be confused about Great Britains geography, it consists of 4 countries i.e. England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales, some say that there are in fact 5 countries the 5th being the ancient kingdom of Cornwall. Great Britain has a very long and (I think) very interesting history, that doesn't mean I agree with everything that the British have done (before anyone bites my head off for being a patriot) I love living in Britain and wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

May 16, 2010, 18:14

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

Re: who's had the best bands of the past 50 years?? great britain or u.s.

lereostab wrote:
Just for anyone who may be confused about Great Britains geography, it consists of 4 countries i.e. England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales, some say that there are in fact 5 countries the 5th being the ancient kingdom of Cornwall. Great Britain has a very long and (I think) very interesting history, that doesn't mean I agree with everything that the British have done (before anyone bites my head off for being a patriot) I love living in Britain and wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

Um, no. Ireland is not a part of Great Britain. Northern Ireland is, although a lot of its people (as well as a lot of us in Britain) would be happy to see it back as part of Ireland - not that we've anything against the people of Ulster...

May 16, 2010, 18:24

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

I know, I just didn't want to get into the politics of it, it has been such a bloody mess over the years. Where I live in West Cornwall there is a political movement to have independance from the rest of England. There have even been threats of violence towards English holiday home owners, it's all pretty sad I think.

May 16, 2010, 18:42

GaryB
GaryB
1554 posts

Fascinating. I did not know this. Does anybody speak Cornish as a first language (or at all, these days)??

May 16, 2010, 18:47

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

Long live Kernow! Ultimately, when we can get over all this flag-waving and borders nonsense and just talk about people, the world will be a better place - God, that sounds corny - I think Stereolab have probably put it all a lot better somewhere in their lyrics...

I was in West Cornwall - in St Ives and Sennen last Summer - a wonderful, beautiful part of the world.

May 16, 2010, 18:55

revox
revox
801 posts

GaryB wrote:
Fascinating. I did not know this. Does anybody speak Cornish as a first language (or at all, these days)??

Tsk, tsk, GaryB - and there was me thinking that it was only the English that had the short memories. I posted something about dear old Cornwall's passion for independence on this forum many moons ago when one of our US cousins had a similar lack of knowledge about what lands made up the UK . :-)

~8^)>

May 16, 2010, 19:05

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5995 posts

I don't know who has the best bands, but Stereolab is part British, so that weighs heavily. We have some blues and jazz that developed distinctively here in america. But some of that was more than 50 years ago... Motown squeaks in under the 50 year mark. But a lot of rock was influenced by Britain. And British rock was influenced by blues, so it's a cross pollination, no point in deciding who's best.

May 16, 2010, 19:10

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5995 posts

Wait, huh? There's another thread of the same name...

May 16, 2010, 19:12

GaryB
GaryB
1554 posts

I was refering to the violence being threatened to 'English' holiday home owners.

I wonder if they'd allow Scots or Welsh to own property there??

May 16, 2010, 19:12

revox
revox
801 posts

GaryB wrote:
I was refering to the violence being threatened to 'English' holiday home owners.

I wonder if they'd allow Scots or Welsh to own property there??

It isn't a recent thing, it's been an ongoing situation for decades - the first I really became aware of it was with the onset of Thatcher's children buying up all of the fishing cottages as holiday homes thus making it hard, if not impossible, for those of Cornish 'blood' not to be able to afford to buy, live or work in the areas of their forefathers. A very sad state of affairs. It likely goes back before this though, I'll have to take a look into it more. There was a similar situation in parts of Wales too, holiday homes burnt down, don't think it's as bad though these days, but I'm not sure.

~8^|>

May 16, 2010, 19:23

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index