Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
with friends like spandau ballet
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

mirtchevman
mirtchevman
1725 posts

Re: with friends like spandau ballet

s_lush_s wrote:
I never understood that song because it was espousing all these fine all these wonderful ideals about banning hate and violence. and then Mary just kills it at the end by saying "and we hate you." ??? I guess it's called irony or irreverence. It's like what a great song , oh I agree with that and all those ideas sound great, "and we hate you." okay. wow. always loved the song though and most of the sentiment. I guess I just don't get it.

the whole thing's being sung in quotes.

i used to know a girl who talked just like the lyrics of this song. we're not friends anymore...

May 27, 2010, 14:38

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

mirtchevman
mirtchevman
1725 posts

the song's ultimately about the fine line between being impassioned toward a cause and being a fundamentalist.

May 27, 2010, 14:43

GaryB
GaryB
1554 posts

Booklover wrote:
And damn, that track by Spandau Ballet is one of my favourites of all time!

Are you going to catch the boys on the reunion tour?

May 27, 2010, 21:41

Booklover
Booklover
680 posts

well, there is a possibility that Cheeso has never listened to it. He just hates Cobra and always will. Ophiophobia is the diagnosis

May 28, 2010, 00:06

Cheeso
Cheeso
642 posts

I ain't afraid of Cobra. And I've listened to Cobra for years and years

May 28, 2010, 00:17

hito
hito
1745 posts

s_lush_s wrote:
I never understood that song because it was espousing all these fine all these wonderful ideals about banning hate and violence. and then Mary just kills it at the end by saying "and we hate you." ??? I guess it's called irony or irreverence. It's like what a great song , oh I agree with that and all those ideas sound great, "and we hate you." okay. wow. always loved the song though and most of the sentiment. I guess I just don't get it.

I don't know that it is as simple as irony or irreverence. I think in part it examines the dangers of polarised, adversarial thinking whether a person be "left" or "right" leaning. It also seems to comment on the idea that "someone else" should solve your problems or the idea that you can lead a comfortable life conveniently ignoring the oppressive regimes that help maintain your security. In many ways it seems to be an attack on both the war on terror and wealthy western "humanitarian" hypocrites. "You’re the baddies and we hate you" is a dig at anyone who childishly thinks that they are right and the others are wrong.

This song is awesome.

May 29, 2010, 02:29

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index