Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
The right to cause damage to someone's hearing.
Pages: 6 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

The right to cause damage to someone's hearing.

Should sound in dance clubs be regulated? I just made my tinnitus worse last night. I'm pissed. At myself for not realizing how bad the result would be, and at the club too and the dj. In my view something should be done about it. Sometimes it's obvious that it's so loud it will without a doubt cause damage, other times, like last night, it seemed loud, but I didn't do anything about it like get earplugs. My brain was not saying danger danger, it's not like I carry around a decibel meter. I've been to this club before without a problem, so I know you can have fun without the decibel level being so high.

Jun 27, 2010, 03:19

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

GaryB2
GaryB2
2322 posts

Re: The right to cause damage to someone's hearing.

In recent years I have noticed the number of people using earplugs at gigs soar. Never at clubs though. Maybe something for you to consider if its a real problem. Better than not going out??!! :)

Jun 27, 2010, 11:31

el wanko
142 posts

Hmm interesting, UK workers in clubs etc are covered by legislation but from what I can make out not the punters.. My hearing has been permanently damaged by years of hardcore clubbing, to the point that I do wear ear plugs when I go out otherwise I get tinnitus for 2/3 days at a time.

Jun 27, 2010, 11:57

revox
revox
800 posts

cyberpainter wrote:
Should sound in dance clubs be regulated? I just made my tinnitus worse last night. I'm pissed. At myself for not realizing how bad the result would be, and at the club too and the dj. In my view something should be done about it. Sometimes it's obvious that it's so loud it will without a doubt cause damage, other times, like last night, it seemed loud, but I didn't do anything about it like get earplugs. My brain was not saying danger danger, it's not like I carry around a decibel meter. I've been to this club before without a problem, so I know you can have fun without the decibel level being so high.

Your personal health and safety is your responsibility, these environments are targeted at young people with a greater tolerance to all manner of abuse (personal abuse appears to be a timeless privilege, or right of passage, of the young). You are really in the process of grieving for the loss of youth and you're looking for someone to blame and crustily seeking the regulation of the younger generations legitimate fun is one of the pitfalls of getting older that seriously needs to be avoided to attain a purer state of maturity - you've had your day in the sun, there isn't anyone to blame, it's just life.

~8^)>

Jun 27, 2010, 12:01

GaryB
GaryB
1554 posts

Misery guts!! Haha :)

Jun 27, 2010, 13:50

waxenpith
waxenpith
1529 posts

but CP is only 22 :)

Jun 27, 2010, 13:52

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

cyberpainter wrote:

Yeah, right.

http://www.vuvuzela-time.co.uk/www.stereolab.co.uk/forum/stereolab/topic/2501/#6

Jun 27, 2010, 14:52

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

I rarely go to gigs now because of the old painful whistling in the ear. It seems to be a bit of a macho thing to turn the volume up AS LOUD AS POSSIBLE.

Jun 27, 2010, 14:59

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

revox wrote:

Your personal health and safety is your responsibility, these environments are targeted at young people with a greater tolerance to all manner of abuse (personal abuse appears to be a timeless privilege, or right of passage, of the young). You are really in the process of grieving for the loss of youth and you're looking for someone to blame and crustily seeking the regulation of the younger generations legitimate fun is one of the pitfalls of getting older that seriously needs to be avoided to attain a purer state of maturity - you've had your day in the sun, there isn't anyone to blame, it's just life.

~8^)>

We have regulations to prevent second hand smoke from hurting all of us. Some people were outraged when that happened. But there will be less people getting cancer as a result. I'm questioning whether they need to prevent physically damaging your ears, no matter what your age.

If you think all the 20 somethings aren't having the exact same level of damage, you're mistaken. They just haven't realized the affect yet as it's cumulative over time or the level and quantity of noise they are exposed to. The decibel level kills hair cells called stereocilia in their ears just the same as they do in mine. They don't have stronger stereocilia or something.

Also, 80's night is not exactly targeted at 20 somethings. It was a mixed group. Like I said, I've been there many times without a problem. There is a point in the decibel level where damage is caused, and there is a point just under it which is considered more safe. They could stay under that point without any problem. It was 80's night without the techno throb of bass in your belly. So duh, no one needed to get their stereocilia killed off.

Jun 27, 2010, 16:40

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

Harold Bissonette wrote:
I rarely go to gigs now because of the old painful whistling in the ear. It seems to be a bit of a macho thing to turn the volume up AS LOUD AS POSSIBLE.

I always wear earplugs to gigs, it's usually the warm up band that cranks it so loud. The music I listen to and go see rarely has the volume at ear crushing levels. Though you never know. I remember once long ago having some bad damage after hearing an African band I liked, because they had a couple horns that brought it all up over the edge.

Jun 27, 2010, 16:50

Pages: 6 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index