Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
The right to cause damage to someone's hearing.
58 messages
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5940 posts

Re: The right to cause damage to someone's hearing.

I at least did what I thought I should do, wrote to the owner of the club and the dj. Since they're working withing the bounds of (lack of) the law, they may not feel any obligation to even respond. But since it's important to me, I had to do at least this small thing.

Dear...

I am very concerned about the dangerous decibel level in your club. I have tinnitus and permanently damaged my ears dancing in your club June 25. I have danced at 80's night in The Cellar before without noticeable harm, but DJ Scotty Fox this time cranked the volume to dangerous levels with no warning. I might add, that everyone in the club that night experienced damage to their ears whether they were young or older. Sound at high decibel levels is indiscriminate and kills hair cells called stereocilia in everyone's ears, regardless of age. Young people may not realize the affect yet, as it's cumulative over time or the level and quantity of noise they are exposed to.

Since I did not have the problem in your club on 80's nights previously, I remained unaware that night of just how loud it was, and the harm that would result. Any time you leave a club and hear ringing and a reduction in ability to hear, you have destroyed more stereocilia and damaged your ears. Someone with tinnitus will continue to have ringing permanently, with noises added to their existing problem. If I had realized that this would happen to me, I would have worn earplugs or asked the club to provide them. My experience with 80's night in the past did not lead me to believe this would happen. I don't carry around a decibel meter to know how many decibels above 95 the music is playing. It doesn't help that a speaker is very close and directly above your dance floor where the sound doesn't have enough space to drop in decibels. This adds to the danger for everyone.

I wonder what you think about this. Do you feel any sense of responsibility about the harm you are causing people in your club? You can provide earplugs, which I assume you do, since you would be running counter to the laws related to health and safety of employees if you didn't at least provide them with protection. But I think more needs to be done about this. I think your speaker placement could be improved. I think you could easily monitor and control your decibel level. I think you could be more aware that the 80's night crowd doesn't care one bit about earth shattering volumes. In fact they'd probably be happy if they could hear themselves and their friends sing along a little bit. Clubs and DJ's somehow think people want those dangerously high volume levels. I disagree, I don't think people care one bit. I think you have a responsibility, to the people who frequent The Cellar, enjoy the DJ, and love dancing, to be more careful about the hazard you are creating.

I will be interested in your response.
Thank you.
Regards,

Jul 08, 2010, 17:44

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic Outline: