Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Shame on the Swiss
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Cheeso
Cheeso
642 posts

Re: Shame on the Swiss

JS wrote:
Cheeso wrote:
In spite of velvetwater's claim, I am very broadminded,

Well, you systematically consider anyone who doesn't fully agree with you as being wrong, accusing them of "talking out of their ass", resorting to insults and diversions. This happened countless times.

Broadminded? yeah, right...

Your life must feel really empty since I don't argue with you anymore. Poor Cheeso is looking for some fresh meat.

Do you have anything to add to the topic, JS?

You didn't address the topic at all. You just inserted yourself into this thread to disagree with me and to insult me. Then you will turn it around and make yourself a victim again if I insult you, like you always do.

Jul 14, 2010, 13:54

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Cheeso
Cheeso
642 posts

velvetwater wrote:
But I am glad that others (labhead, hito, JS), are finally coming out with reasonable arguments.

Labhead's arguments were clearly and reasonably refuted.

And what "reasonable argument" did JS add? He didn't even talk about the subject matter at all! haha

Jul 14, 2010, 13:57

Cheeso
Cheeso
642 posts

Hito

Your post is mostly right on, Hito.

Although the victim has expressed her forgiveness, Polanski was charged by the State of California, and the State is still enforcing the law, as it should when someone breaks the law.

Jul 14, 2010, 14:02

Squirrel M. Nutter
890 posts

JS is troll with an empty life.

JS wrote:

Your life must feel really empty since I don't argue with you anymore. Poor Cheeso is looking for some fresh meat.

No troll, your life is empty. No one, least of all me, was talking to you or about you, but you couldn't resist making a personal attack on me. You don't even care what the thread is about it. You just could not refuse staying away from me.

Jul 14, 2010, 15:23

Squirrel M. Nutter
890 posts

velvetwater wrote:
The film director left the United States and lived the rest of his life in Europe as a free man. Then he makes a trip to Switzerland and gets arrested for something he did more than 30 years earlier: ridiculous.

Velvetwater, he was not arrested for the crime of rape. He was arrested because he is a fugitive from justice, and he still is a fugitive to this day.
Why should a convicted felon be allowed to flee justice and get away with his crime any more than he already has? What legal reason is there to allow him to be free?

Jul 14, 2010, 15:39

Labhead
Labhead
1868 posts

Cheeso wrote:
I don't know, and it doesn't matter. This does not mean the girl deserves to be raped, nor did it entitle Polanski to rape her. A bad parenting decision does not suddenly make rape legal.

That wasn't what I was saying. I'm just saying this whole thing is fishy, and part of the blame lies in parenting. Did they perhaps lie to Polanski and say she was 18 so she could do the risque photo shoot? And no, I'm not saying that he is allowed to rape 18 yr olds either.

Cheeso wrote:
Even still, he drugged and raped her. That is a fact.

Did he drug her? Or were drugs/alcohol there and she took some herself?

Cheeso wrote:
However, Polanski has never retracted his confession. He never said he didn't do it. If he had a fear of irrational punishment, he should never have raped anyone.

Well, first he said "not guilty" on all counts. It was only after a plea bargain with a 90 day eval/probation was offered that he said he's plead guilty to illegal intercourse (not the other charges, though, which would have been dropped unless the judge was about to renig on his agreement).

Cheeso wrote:
I never mentioned emotions. The statute of limitations governs the time after a crime that the prosecutor can bring charges. It does not apply to convictions. Polanski was charged, prosecuted, and convicted all within the statute of limitations. Perhaps you should learn the rules before getting snarky about how they work.

OK, maybe I'm wrong about a few details, but I'm not trying to be 'snarky'. Sorry if I'm coming across that way. It's just that this whole thing sounds pretty fishy.

I forgot to mention, he also paid the victim $500,000.

I guess where I'm coming from, is that in general (not talking about this case) I've seen a lot of people lie and make false accusations over the years. I've also seen a lot of abuse from authority and courts. I try to take a reasonable approach that there are always 2 sides to every story, and everyone is entitled to their fair day in court, so I don't like to jump to conclusions just because circumstances look bad.

Did someone say that he wrote about it himself in a book? What did he have to say about it (although that again is only 1 side of the story, and should be taken with a grain of salt)?

Jul 14, 2010, 22:53

Squirrel M. Nutter
890 posts

I don't think it sounds fishy at all, labhead.

Jul 14, 2010, 23:49

vivakomeda
746 posts

Just ridiculous. Some of the blame lies with the parents? Are you kidding me? I'm happy to allocate 100% of the blame to Polanski, thanks.

And yes, he gave her those drugs. Read the testimony. Also note that (sorry to be so graphic, but let this thought simmer for a moment) quaaludes are known to relax the muscles, and are often employed for the "receiver's" benefit before or during anal sex.

Jul 15, 2010, 02:23

JS
JS
489 posts

Cheeso wrote:

You didn't address the topic at all. You just inserted yourself into this thread to disagree with me and to insult me.

I intervened in this thread just to warn others about the futility of having a discussion with you.

Cheeso wrote:
Do you have anything to add to the topic, JS?

There are much more important things to worry about than a rape committed 30 years ago.

The rapist admitted guilt, he gave a big sum of money to the victim. The victim doesn't want to prosecute. As far as I'm concerned, this case should be closed.

Polanski will live with the rapist stigma for the rest of his life. He is not a nameless rapist who can have the opportunity to start a new life in another city where nobody knows who he is and what he did. In my opinion, this is a punishment more severe than a jail sentence. I can only speculate, but I think I would prefer to do jail time and then be able to start a new life anonymously somewhere, rather than no jail, but being known as a rapist wherever I go on this planet.

The victim clearly said that she forgave Polanski and wants to leave all this behind her. Seeing her name or Polanski's name in the papers, the journalists harassing her, all this must be very painful to live by.

Cheeso, you brought this subject on this forum at least twice. You want to keep this controversy alive, despite the will of the victim herself.

This shows clearly that you don't give a shit about the well being of the victim. You care more about the rapist than you care for the poor girl who was raped. That's disgusting, Cheeso.

Jul 15, 2010, 05:25

JS
JS
489 posts

Cheeso wrote:
And what "reasonable argument" did JS add? He didn't even talk about the subject matter at all! haha

Problem solved. haha

Jul 15, 2010, 05:39

Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index